Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the big bang

draconis

now, according to theory the big bang happened around 4.5-5 billion years ago right? so then, anyone care to theorize what was happening in the age before the big bang, and what led up to the event. perhaps we are just reliving a previous history?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• draconis

• danielost

• dazdillinjah

• sepulchrave

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

now, according to theory the big bang happened around 4.5-5 billion years ago right? so then, anyone care to theorize what was happening in the age before the big bang, and what led up to the event. perhaps we are just reliving a previous history?

the earth system was formed 4.5 to 5 billion years ago.

the universe/big bang was 15 billion years ago.

as for what came before, i would say prep for the start of the universe.

Around 14 billion years ago ...but although the bbt is very well formulated I personally have alot more questions ...mainly to do with the age 14 billions years that has been calculated using cosmic background radiation

by assuming cosmic background radiation was the remnants of the big bang then we are excluding it could have resulted from some other way

the known universe (as we have discussed in another thread) is said to be 79 billion light years across (this is in an excellent UM video ..I will find a link for you to it soon)

but I conjectured if thats so wouldnt the universe be at least 39 billion years old ..however others have advised the expansion of the universe can occur at faster than the speed of light

So although bbt is a very good theory I guess there is much much more to discover about the universe before we can be 100% sure

alright thanks for clearing that up.

i dont we will ever truely understand the universe in our lifetimes, maybe a little bit, but i think we would have a better understanding of it if we didnt self limit ourselves- for example- IMO- who says that the laws of physics on earth also apply in other areas of the universe. i beleive that we as humans are far too restricted in our thinking and understanding of the universe- like it is said that it is impossible to exceed the speed of light. but whos to say it cant, we dont really know anything. its all theory. (IMO)

i dont we will ever truely understand the universe in our lifetimes, maybe a little bit, but i think we would have a better understanding of it if we didnt self limit ourselves- for example- IMO- who says that the laws of physics on earth also apply in other areas of the universe. i beleive that we as humans are far too restricted in our thinking and understanding of the universe- like it is said that it is impossible to exceed the speed of light. but whos to say it cant, we dont really know anything. its all theory. (IMO)

no it has been proven that the speed of light changes.

no it has been proven that the speed of light changes.

Light propagates through different media at different speeds, but unless you are talking about the trivial case (where if you redefine the units1 the speed of light changes), no - the speed of light in a vacuum has definitely not been proven to have changed over the course of the universe.

-----

[1] The speed of light based on the dimensions we choose, so in some sense it is arbitrary. Since the dimensions we define are linked to several different ``fundamental constants'', and since there are relationships between these constants, it is quite possible that even if the speed of light changed with time and/or space there would be no discernable difference.

Light propagates through different media at different speeds, but unless you are talking about the trivial case (where if you redefine the units1 the speed of light changes), no - the speed of light in a vacuum has definitely not been proven to have changed over the course of the universe.

-----

[1] The speed of light based on the dimensions we choose, so in some sense it is arbitrary. Since the dimensions we define are linked to several different ``fundamental constants'', and since there are relationships between these constants, it is quite possible that even if the speed of light changed with time and/or space there would be no discernable difference.

we can put light into a vacuum but we cannot get outside of a gravity field