Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Internet addiction' linked to depression,

Still Waters

Surfing the internet can expose a 'dark side' of the soul, with online addicts more likely to be depressed, claim psychologists.

They found the longer people spent on websites, the more unhappy they were.

Those worst affected are both depressed and addicted, possibly because they are substituting the net for normal social activities.

Research leader Dr Catriona Morrison, from the University of Leeds, said: 'The internet plays a huge part in modern life, but its benefits are accompanied by a darker side.'

Researchers questioned 1,319 people aged from 16 to 51 to assess levels of internet dependency and depression.

In general, the longer people spent online the more depressed they tended to be, reported the journal Psychopathology.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admiral Danger

• behaviour???

• Eldorado

• Fatebreaker

I suspect they are putting the horse before the cart. Or is it the cart before the horse? Whichever...

My Internet Addiction is linked with UM...LOl, that Helps :innocent:

Thanks

B???

I'd say it was because people are depressed that they spend so much time online. There's a lot of anxiety involved in going out when you suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

my guess would be that these people its talking about were attention hungry and pretened to be depressesed for so long that they forgot they were pretending and use social networking as a funnel for this attention