Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists 'grow' edible insects

Still Waters

The day when restaurants will serve garlic grasshoppers or beetle larva skewers is getting closer in Costa Rica, where scientists are "growing" insects for human consumption.

Entomologist Manuel Zumbado's research into this alternative food source is inspired by practices in Africa, where insects have long been part of people's diet.

With its rainforests playing host to countless insect species, including thousands that have yet to be identified, Costa Rica is a perfect breeding ground for the work.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Neognosis

• silentsinger

• Mandrake

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if we could take insect protein and nutrition and process it into something that would be emotionally palatable, we could possibly tap into a very large food source and feed a lot of starving people.

I'd give them a try, how bad could they be right hmmmmm

see, that's what I'm talking about.

As long as there cooked and not movin on my plate I'm down for it. I'v always wanted to try tarantula yummm

Edited by The Silver Thong

As long as there cooked and not movin on my plate I'm down for it. I'v always wanted to try tarantula yummm

cool. see, even though i know it is irrational, I don't think I could eat something that looked like an insect. except for crabs and lobsters. but if you processed them into some sort of chip or cracker, and mixed in some other ingredients, I could eat them.

cool. see, even though i know it is irrational, I don't think I could eat something that looked like an insect. except for crabs and lobsters. but if you processed them into some sort of chip or cracker, and mixed in some other ingredients, I could eat them.

I don't know I think I could get past the look and feel the crunch, grasshopper trail mix. I ate an ant when I was 13ish alive and wow was I shocked at how bad a little ant tasted and the taste lasted forever LOL So I swore off ant's for good LOL

I would give them a go, One that I would never try is any kind of spider though and of course they arent an insect but I have seen a documentary where some tribesman would cook and eat the goliath bird eating spider, ewwww :o I could never do that, I think Neognosis has the right idea just use the high protien from them and make some kind of dish with the benifits right in it, Humans have ate insects for millenia so its nothing new,

I'd try it but I would not like the feeling of all those legs, if there was a way to make a kind of miniature steak that simply looked like a chunk of meat then it would be appealing.

I once found half a cockroach baked into a pita bread. Does that count? :lol:

I also remember reading somewhere that tests had been carried out a wide range of processed foods and it was stated that most processed meals we eat contain insect remains in one form or another. I converted to fresh, locally grown produce after that! :huh: :huh:

Whole insects bred and processed specifically for consumption I can live with - but insect REMAINS!!?? :no:

cochineal_beetle.jpg

The Cochineal Beetle... Also known as Red Dye Numba 4!!

Commonly used to add a red hue to food and other textiles.

and did I mention tasty? Why when one crunches into this

exoskeletal delight, one gets the sensation of a cool

Mexican summer breeze as it pops open in your mouth

Releasing all at once its sweet juicy entrails.

Nutritious and Delicious get yours today!!

Edited by zenfahr

Thought insects were already edible :unsure2:

Anyone want a lollipop?

8bc449a6e9d9c3de0dd0479089b84709.jpg

I'v eaten a few of those from the bottom of a few tequila bottles, damn yummy ;)

Eww... sounds yummy :hmm: