Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija boards sold as "toys" - a good idea ?

UM-Bot

However I do not agree that boards = knives in any meaningful, objective way, only in a metaphoric, abstract and faith/superstition-based aspect, based in hyperbole.

You've never been poked in the eye with a flying monopoly board by a sore-losing brother. Though you are right, not as damaging as a blade but a weapon none the less. :)

You've never been poked in the eye with a flying monopoly board by a sore-losing brother. Though you are right, not as damaging as a blade but a weapon none the less. :)

In the same vein you could say that pillows can be used as weapons. Ever been hit really hard with a pillow? It's not all that nice if you're hit hard enough.

Knives are hardly a useful comparison because the purpose of knives is to cut things, which runs along the lines of causing pain to another human being if such a thing were to be inflicted. The monopoly board's only purpose is to sit on a table and be a board, which causes no harm.

What you are talking about is intentions of the person itself to cause harm, in which case, you could make the argument for for any object in existence to be used as a weapon.

Which brings myself to my first point, it's not the board, it's the people who believe they are buddies with the demons who are the dangerous part.

I apologize if I offend anyone, but these boards are popular for the exact reason this is even an article in the first place.

Do you know why the experience is only as good as the people you are playing with? That's all it is, the people you are playing with. There have been many sorts of myth busting shows, even Pen & Teller, completely demystifying the Ouija Board in more ways than you can begin to count, but largely none of it will ever mean a thing to the desperate believers because they will just ignore the evidence anyway.

The center piece is moved completely by the people playing the game. There is absolutely nothing you can say to refute this, and no amount of anecdotal nonsense you believe proves it does work, because that is precisely how the board was engineered. It's just a smart toy. It's brilliant really.

If you so fervently stick to the presumption that you are actually contacting spirits, I would like you to try a few things...

- Try blindfolding everyone and playing with the board upside down. Guess what happens when you ask a yes or no question? Just guess.

- It requires that you play with at minimum 2 people, and that both people do not put any extra force on the piece. Is this really so hard to understand? They advertised it as a way to contact spirits and dead people, so 11 times out of 10 people are playing because they want it to work. When you are playing with 3+ friends and you see that the piece is moving towards no, but you want it to be yes...try putting the SMALLEST bit of push towards yes, don't push it all the way, just give it a small nudge about a centimeter in that direction...guess what - everyone will play in to it and push right along with you it will not hastily retrace that 1 centimeter of flogged distance to go back to no, people will be convinced that answer is already yes, and to yes it will slide.

I've even purchased mine own to study it myself. I've played it with all sorts of people, tried all sorts of things, asked the insane range of questions. The game works how it's supposed to, people are just gullible. You can just google this kind of stuff and find all sorts of explanations and scientific reasoning behind the "function" of the board, it's not hard.

Case and point, Ouija boards are not dangerous, the people who use them thinking they get to chat with demons - are.

Amen Brotha ! clap.gifthumbup.gif

• 7 months later...

They've been sold in toy stores for years!!...fyi. But I personally don't think it's a great idea. Like someone said kids should be learning monopoly. Or they should get Candyland. :)

I used to see this ad when I was a kid:

It tells you what the manufacturer, U.S. Games I think, and the company that also manufactures many tarot decks as well, thinks about this product. As in, it's a game and not to be taken seriously. Hasbro makes a glow in the dark Ouija, so that both adults and kids on sleepover can talk to spirits in the night. Ouija has also expanded into other formats as well, including a downloadable version. So that tells you just how serious it all is.

I'm waiting for the nifty key chain variety complete with dangling planchette. Though it would probably get twisted around one of my keys and be lost forever. Then how do I yap at great uncle Fred? :rofl:

You can always make your own board. Those who would prefer a foreign language ouija, which is a good idea because it expands the retail market demographic, would then have the optimal selection of languages available to them.

It may also be noted that the movement of the planchette by the questioners is due to the ideomotor effect. As, everyone involved believes to some degree or other that this board thing works. That thought can affect their subconscious and thereby effect the movement of the planchette itself.

And then there is the old legend about how using the Ouija board opens a portal for negative energies to enter into this realm. So that a stylized ritual need be employed in order to surround the users with the white light of protection. It all sets up a very spooky atmosphere preceding sitting down with the board. And yet, if it was that easy to open a gateway to evil spirits, using a mass produced laminated cardboard toy and plastic planchette, the after life must be very boring for souls to think a game and curious mortals who've existed on this planet in the flesh since our flesh first arrived, is worthy of acting as a veritable door bell so as to ring their attention go back where they came from and answer tedious questions that no longer mean anything to them, nor would be anything the disembodied could relate to since they're no longer of a mind.

Really though, it's a matter of simple reason. Would a spirit, if it did exist and care to hang around this plane of existence, even know how to connect with it and it's communication avenues? Would it take the time, have the patience, which are all human characteristics, to link to human hands and channel it's related thoughts to those questioners while giving a care to take the time to spell it out for them one letter at a time, or in "Yes" or "No" phrases?

They're outta here! Why would a spirit care to say a word now, just because people still alive need guidance from anonymous dead sources? When they could otherwise seek it out face to face with people they can relate to at least on a human level?

Save your money. Unless of course you're planning an adults only Ouija party and serving alcohol. That can be a laugh riot watching the affect of spirits on spirit. ^_^

Like they'll fly off shelves? :rolleyes:

Stay away from them, you can unleash a nasty spirit.

But in the age of "green" and humanity wouldn't that be a good thing?

PeUNS

4.gif (People for the ethical Unleashing of Nasty Spirits) :lol::P

Yes, the evil spirits in league with Parker Toys!

No you can't , I tried......

Damn it, that is my evil plan ruined then <_<

Damn it, that is my evil plan ruined then <_<

Going to have to go to plan B now.....

But ouija boards are toys! Like tarot cards are just playing cards. (Does anyone realize they actually still play card games with them in Europe?)

Several of us girls would have pyjama parties every so often and stay up all night summoning all kind of "spirits" in my bedroom with my ouija board. Turns out some of the "spirits" weren't even dead, though. :unsure2:

Anyway I haven't been possessed yet, some years later. :devil:

Maybe you succeeded without even knowing it. That could explain Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin. (OK, must stop nasty visual of their love child now. 14.gif )

They've always been bloody toys! It's not some weird ancient magic, it was invented by Parker Brothers for ****'s sake! Followed by one of the largest sighs in my life I've decided to just quit now.

Ouija boards are considered by many to be something not to be dabbled with - should these really be sold in toy stores ? Some believe ouija boards can be used to contact the dead or to summon demons but toy stores around the world still sell them to children as young as 8. Should stores stop selling them as toys or are they as harmless as they seem ?

"Toys R Us is selling Ouija boards, promoting them as acceptable for children as young as eight years old. The pink edition of the Ouija board is listed for girls eight-years-old and up while the regular version is designated for all children eight and up. Stephen Phelan, communications manager of Human Life International, checked the website and reports that the findings are disturbing."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: One News Now

Of course they are a good idea !!!! anything to keep our kids quiet & occupied ...& who believes in BS Ghosts these days ..Ghost DO NOT EXIST & if you think they do then you have way to much time on yr hands & show me some evidence

No, not a good idea. Ouija boards should be banned altogether. Few people know that if you rearrange the word Parker Brothers in the Frisian language, you get "Satan's Toy Company."* I suppose it's now my job to explain everything to everybody! :rolleyes:

*Not a true statement

No, not a good idea. Ouija boards should be banned altogether. Few people know that if you rearrange the word Parker Brothers in the Frisian language, you get "Satan's Toy Company."* I suppose it's now my job to explain everything to everybody! :rolleyes:

*Not a true statement

:lol:

No, not a good idea. Ouija boards should be banned altogether.

No way.. I would miss contacting my great grandma ...I lost my last one.. need a new one so hey why ever not?

No way.. I would miss contacting my great grandma ...I lost my last one.. need a new one so hey why ever not?

All right, we'll make an exception for those who need to contact their loved ones from Beyond.

All right, we'll make an exception for those who need to contact their loved ones from Beyond.

No playing favourites now.. if you make an exception for the likes of me ..may as well do it for all lol

No playing favourites now.. if you make an exception for the likes of me ..may as well do it for all lol

OK. Everybody just cut loose, then! Have your little freedom! Unleash the demons upon the earth!

When the names of your next prime ministers or presidents are something like Beelzebub, don't come running to me!

:D

OK. Everybody just cut loose, then! Have your little freedom! Unleash the demons upon the earth!

When the names of your next prime ministers or presidents are something like Beelzebub, don't come running to me!

Hush let me pretend it's fun LOL

Truth bde told - I have never been near a Ouija board.. .I don't beleive in them..but for now...I am pretnending :P

OK, so it's proof we want! How about this?

This is a transcription from an EVP captured at Eastern State Penetentiary, which as everybody knows is a popular vacation spot for ghosts. (Skeptics: Don't be surprised when the actual tape shows up on Youtube! How's THAT for credibility?)

Ghost #1: Whaddup, Tom? Wanna go scare some teenagers with us? I got tired of playing with these doofuses from Ghost Hunters. How many times can one of them say "What's that?!?!" when one of the camera crew steps on a pebble or bumps against the wall?

Ghost #2: Nah, Tim. I wish I could, but headquarters has got me on Ouija detail. There's this kid in Nebraska who just bought a new Ouija board and I've got to leave here in a few minutes to go there.

Ghost #1: Ooh, it really blows to have your vacation cut short like that. Sorry to hear you've got Ouija detail, dude. So you've got to hang around the board and answer her questions until she decides to stuff the ouija in the attic?

Ghost #2: Yeah...I got demoted. The chief has really been p***ed at me ever since I possessed Charlie Sheen. Apparently only demons are authorized to possess celebrities! La-de-dah!

Ghost #1: Yeah, that sucks. Demons get all the good stuff. Britney Spears. Muammar Gaddafi. Lindsey Lohan. It's politics, I tell you!

Ghost #2: Tell me about it! Well, I gotta run. I see she's opened up the board and has some friends coming over. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and one of them will spill Diet Coke on the board and ruin it!

Ghost #1: May be! Hey, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Ghost #2: Thanks! Later, dude!

So this EVP shows very conclusively that ghosts actually do hang around Ouija boards!

Sorry to have to wave this in the face of all you doubters, but there it is!