Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young mother jailed for biting midwife

chemical-licker

Young mother jailed for biting midwife during childbirth

A young mother was jailed yesterday for deliberately biting a midwife who was helping to deliver her baby.

Leanne Pennington, 26, was in the final stages of labour when she sank her teeth into the forearm of experienced midwife Carolyn Burden.

Mrs Burden, 41, needed immediate first aid but bravely went back onto the ward to help Pennington give birth.

But the experienced nurse later had to endure six months of HIV and hepatitis tests because Pennington was a "high risk patient".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248949/Young-mother-jailed-biting-midwife-childbirth.html#ixzz0elAd6d1J

:angry2: hang on a minute! the woman giving birth was a high patient risk. no:no: cant work this one out. can one work this out for the dumb chemical.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNibs

• Queen in the North

• chemical-licker

• Admiral Danger

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to work out the logistics of this...nevermind.

Ok, well, I am ashamed to admit to slapping a nurse/nun during one of my deliveries. :( Had been in labor for 5 days. 4 trips to the hospital only to be sent home three times. On the fourth trip I got to stay!!! As this was my second time through the nightmare I was familiar with what was going on and what felt "comfortable".

I was lying on my side and during a contraction had pulled my legs up, semi-fetal position. This nurse/nun began pulling on my legs because she thought the "correct" way to be was on my back. I growled at her, told her to knock it off but she didn't stop. Finally, a doctor told her to leave me alone.

She got slapped when I felt it was time to go for a walk and SHE decided that I needed to be in bed, again because that was what she thought was correct. I had Dr.'s permission. As I attempted to stand she stood in front of me and pushed on my chest to prevent me from standing. Not a violent push. I shoved her hand away and began standing again, holding onto my IV for balance. She pushed me back down again. So I slapped her good in the face. She ran out and I went for my walk. On returning from my walk I noticed that I had a convention going on in my room. An administrator, a couple of doctors, security and several nurses. My doctor ordered everyone out of the room and the "incident" was to be handled later. Later, it was decided that the nurse/nun didn't have enough experience, was reprimanded and moved to another area under supervision.

I'm not usually violent but these were extreme circumstances. So, I'm wondering if there is more to the situation. NO, it isn't ok to bite or slap but it does make me curious.

Just my wandering thoughts.

Nibs

Biting? Lunatic.

Nibs- I'd say there is a big difference between biting and slapping. Slapping, well, from what you said she kind of needed it... Biting just shows plain disregard for other people, and sounds like she was taking it out on the midwife. There isn't the actual story, as such, in the article about how it came about, so who knows, there could easily be something which puts it more in context. Even so, it's not okay.

Biting? Lunatic.

Nibs- I'd say there is a big difference between biting and slapping. Slapping, well, from what you said she kind of needed it... Biting just shows plain disregard for other people, and sounds like she was taking it out on the midwife. There isn't the actual story, as such, in the article about how it came about, so who knows, there could easily be something which puts it more in context. Even so, it's not okay.

Wellllll...if I am to be totally honest...she just wasn't close enough to my mouth. Otherwise, I can't guarantee I wouldn't have bit her. :blush:

But, I do see your point Libs. :) One of the stages of labor ISN'T insanity. Well, not technically.

No, you're right, it isn't ok, neither is what I did, I just wonder if there is more.

Nibs

Wellllll...if I am to be totally honest...she just wasn't close enough to my mouth. Otherwise, I can't guarantee I wouldn't have bit her. :blush:

But, I do see your point Libs. :) One of the stages of labor ISN'T insanity. Well, not technically.

No, you're right, it isn't ok, neither is what I did, I just wonder if there is more.

Nibs

:lol: Well we know you're a lunatic anyway :)

Yeah... I can't really comment, having not gone through it myself, but from what I have heard (why people have felt the need to describe *graphically* their labour experiences to me I do not know) it is nightmarish, but not mind-breaking!?

I think there probably is. Maybe sometime next week there'll be a follow up article with the mother's side...

:lol: Well we know you're a lunatic anyway :)

Yeah... I can't really comment, having not gone through it myself, but from what I have heard (why people have felt the need to describe *graphically* their labour experiences to me I do not know) it is nightmarish, but not mind-breaking!?

I think there probably is. Maybe sometime next week there'll be a follow up article with the mother's side...

:D

Well, there are those that don't go insane during labor. I wouldn't be one of those.

I hated being pregnant, hated labor but love my kids.

Hell, I'm lucky I didn't start biting people in my first trimester.

It can be mind-breaking but not usually.

It would be interesting to see the follow up if there is any. Who knows, the biter may have a history of biting and violence.

Nibs

:D

Well, there are those that don't go insane during labor. I wouldn't be one of those.

I hated being pregnant, hated labor but love my kids.

Hell, I'm lucky I didn't start biting people in my first trimester.

It can be mind-breaking but not usually.

It would be interesting to see the follow up if there is any. Who knows, the biter may have a history of biting and violence.

Nibs

Hah. This week has DEFINITELY turned out to be put-Libby-off-having-kids-for-life week.

Hah. This week has DEFINITELY turned out to be put-Libby-off-having-kids-for-life week.

I always said that the best form of birth control would be spending time in the labor ward or babysitting my kids.

Nibs

I always said that the best form of birth control would be spending time in the labor ward or babysitting my kids.

Nibs

:o Please stop!!!!! this makes me wanna chop it off.

:o Please stop!!!!! this makes me wanna chop it off.

Hon! That's a little extreme!!

Maybe just tying it in a knot would be better.

:P

Nibs

this reminds me of rob brydon :P

the rest of it is hilarious, but i cant find it on youtube at the moment :hmm:

Edited by Dr Alien

Actually I think the biting thing was a bit extreme, and I was in labor for 3 days with my first child. I had pre-eclampsia so they tried to induce my labor. I finally had to have a c-section b/c I was getting fluid in my lungs from being so swollen. Not once did I even consider biting anyone, but slapping my OB at the time crossed my mind more than once. :blush:

this reminds me of rob brydon :P

the rest of it is hilarious, but i cant find it on youtube at the moment :hmm:

your worse than a drug dealer:ph34r:

The nurses learned early on to just keep their distance when I was having my second son. The epidural failed and they kept assuring me I was just feeling "pressure" :mellow: I told her to **** and luckily she flounced out and was never seen again by me. I'm tellin ya, had they gotten close enough, someone would've been bitten, strangled, or slapped.

Heh Nibs, I had something similar happen when I was in short, fast and furious labor with my daughter... I insisted on sitting straight up and down, legs crossed indian style. For whatever reason, it was the only way my back felt ok. The nurses kept coming in and telling me to lay down. I didn't slap 'em... but I"m pretty sure I did tell one of them "Bite Me" ... ROTFLOL. No one bit me though. LOL.

Don't mess with a woman in labor, if she thinks she feels best hanging from the rafters like a vampire... leave her alone for pete sake! LOL. My little sister gave birth to both of her kids while on her hands and knees. She told the docs they'd have to play "catch" that way cuz she wasn't turning over. LOL.

I think my mom had the best story though... she'd been at hte doctors for a check up with my little sister. She was driving home and halfway there, she realized she was in hard labor.. she drove herself back to the hospital and had my sister in the waiting room of the ER... with all the nurses screaming at her "You can't have this baby now!!! The doctor isn't here yet!" I believe my mother's response was "Watch me, I'm not waiting" LOL.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Young mother jailed for biting midwife during childbirth

A young mother was jailed yesterday for deliberately biting a midwife who was helping to deliver her baby.

Leanne Pennington, 26, was in the final stages of labour when she sank her teeth into the forearm of experienced midwife Carolyn Burden.

Mrs Burden, 41, needed immediate first aid but bravely went back onto the ward to help Pennington give birth.

But the experienced nurse later had to endure six months of HIV and hepatitis tests because Pennington was a "high risk patient".

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0elAd6d1J

:angry2: hang on a minute! the woman giving birth was a high patient risk. no:no: cant work this one out. can one work this out for the dumb chemical.

ok!!...so the woman giving birth was possible high risk of having HIV......and she bit the mid wife!!!....hmmmmmmnnnn.......she should have been replaced immediately and given first aid............although i can understand wanting to hurt someone while giving birth.............i would never bite someone,lol.............there should be more precautions when someone possibly having HIV is in the wardhmm.gif

something about this story seems terribly amiss to me.. especially the fact is how did the nurses forearm come to be near the patients face? it says nothing about the patient grabbing her arm and going a chomp..

it may have been intentional (hey, i am about to find out in a few months) but what i am guessing is that perhaps she was 'bearing down' went to grit her teeth, the nurse leant across for what ever reason, and her arm got in the way.

also, i dont see why it has to be written that she was a 'high risk patient' these notes would have already been on her files, so all ppl attending her would have fully been aware of her medical history. just seems another way to villify a person.

i just think there is more to this story then what is lead to be believed.