Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bermuda triangle documentary

snookems

I've seen hundreds of Bermuda Triangle documentaries where they actually went to the BT and found these methane vents in the Triangle. They not only proved that the methane gas effected electrical equipment, but also that it created a think fog.

Just like aquatus said.

The documentary about the methane, that premiered on the History Channel was called "Dive to the Bermuda Triangle" and I just check their website, and it's supposed to air again on August 1st, but I'd check your local listings first. If you beleive it or not, it's still pretty interesting to watch!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• reese2

• Asterix

• KindredSpirt4125

Is it your opinion/information that what happened with the compasses is that only Taylor's malfunctioned but the rest of the crew, even if their compasses worked OK, didn't contradict their leader's instructions? Coz this is another known issue with this story, that it's really strange for all 5 compasses to stop working at the same time

Okay, this is another example of Berlitz's imaginative approach to research. While he did start the story of the clear day, and all the compasses malfunctioning, we actually only have Taylor stating his compass wasn't working properly, for a short period during the flight. Now, the implication, and what I believe as well, is that some of the other compasses were not working as well (I'll get to that in a minute), but as far as facts go, we really have no idea how many malfunctions there were.

Now, modern strike fighter craft have, at a minimum, two compasses: and electric one, and a magnetic one. Most pilots also carry one in their bag, though we would like to discourage that. The reason for this is because standard compasses, for some reason, ocassionaly give a false reading or an undecipherable reading. There is a current theory that this is caused by the electric field created by the stressed metal portions of the craft. In the old aircraft, the "Iron Birds", this effect was much greater than in today's composite aircraft, but electric compasses were not available in those days. Considering that all of Flight 19 was practicing aerial maneuvers, it is entirely likely that each plane went through the same movements, and the stresses of those movements produced enough field to confuse the compasses. Taylor should have had experience with this, even if he didn't understand the science behind it. Compasses simply failed on occasion, and given a little time, they would return to normal (which the one on Flight 19 eventually did). There is no doubt in my mind that he confirmed with the other pilots what was going on, and didn't worry too much more about it. The other pilots may or may not have understood why the compasses didn't work, but I do not believe this created any sort of panic.

The problem lay when Taylor saw the islands. By assuming they were the Keys, he was unable to calculate his location. GPS wasn't around back then, and the only thing that pilots could rely on was dead reckoning and landmarks. With the compass out of commision, the landmarks not making sense, along with diminishing fuel (they had been flying for a while now), that is what I believe caused Taylor to react instinctively instead of logically.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey if everyone here is interested in the Bermuda Triangle I have a website about it, it is part of my Mysteries Online Website... every week theres a new mystery which the public vote on... this monday it looks very likely that the Bermuda Triangle is going to win... you can wait til Monday to check it out or just go straight to the exclusive to this forum link:

www.angeltowns2.com/members/mysteries/bermudatriangle.htm

Leave messages in the guestbook about it if you like it or post on here - whatever suits everyone best!

Cheers

Amy

wink2.gif