Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

asian long haired hyena now extinct was the

CANDIDPETS

did u guys watch that bran new show on the history channel a special called the real wolfman? well they claim the beast was an extinct species of long haired hyena well there is no information online in regards to this so called species where the hell dide they pull this cryptid from? ANd if it existed in the 1700s why cant it exist now?

Autopsy proved the beast was some kind of canine

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CANDIDPETS

• DieChecker

• Eldorado

• Cetacea

Top Posters In This Topic

Autopsy proved the beast was some kind of canine

That would rule out hyenas as they are more closely related to cats than dogs.

I tend to lean towards the wolf-hybrid theory personally, it would explain the size, unusual markings and lack of fear from people.

Edited by Cetacea

did u guys watch that bran new show on the history channel a special called the real wolfman? well they claim the beast was an extinct species of long haired hyena well there is no information online in regards to this so called species where the hell dide they pull this cryptid from? ANd if it existed in the 1700s why cant it exist now?

Wiki says the show is from October 2009, so it is pretty new.

In October 2009, the History Channel produced a documentary called The Real Wolfman. Renowned cryptozoologist Ken Gerhardt and (a very skeptical) veteran criminal profiler George Deuchar, performed a thorough modern-day forensic investigation in an attempt to reveal the truth behind a mystery built upon a century of exaggerated claims.
The investigation concluded that 'the beast' was no more than an (at the time very common) exotic animal in the form of an Asian Hyena (long haired species of Hyaenidae, now extinct), with a possibly bitter, vengeful human caretaker by the name of Jean Chastel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

From what I have just googled on hyenas, there never was a Long Haired Asian Hyena. There are three types of hyena, spotted, striped and brown. The brown (Which looks the most like a wolf in coloring) lives only in the Southern end of Africa. The spotted only lives in Africa now, but as recently as 8000 years ago, lived in Europe and the Middle East in the form of the Cave Hyena. And the striped hyena, which can be found in Africa, the Middle East and parts of India. Both the spotted and striped have distincive coloring. Regardless there was no modern long haired asian hyena species.

The striped hyena can have long hair, but would only be mistaken for a dog or wolf if its fur was dyed a different color. The spotted hyena has short fur. And the brown hyena has long fur, but is rare and never lived in asia.

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/22/12/2435

My vote is for the striped hyena, with some fool coloring it with lamp black, or coal dust to make it scarier. It at least lives in Asia (The Middle East) and has some long hair.

Edited by DieChecker

stripped hyena lacks the power of spotted hyenas and wolves and is not even close to being as fast

it could not of killed over 130 people even if most were women and children its also way to small to be the beast

so why did monster quest lie and make up the fact that a long haired extinct species of hyena existed in the 1700s ?

so why did monster quest lie and make up the fact that a long haired extinct species of hyena existed in the 1700s ?

It's TV Show, not a documentary ;)

They exist to provide entertainment.

I too cannot find any information regarding a long-haired extinct hyena in Asia. But I would not consider it out of the relm of possibility. Maybe there was one...at one point....

looks like the michigan dogman ?! ?! <_<

Hmmm.... is not the film "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (fantastic film) based on that legend/story? The "beast" in the film is a large hyena type creature that some mad people tie into a suit or leather/wicker armour.

yeah that movie is based on the legend it strays from the account but you can see a documentary on that movie on the cd tells whats real in the film and whats not

i just did a lot of research on the striped hyena and went to a local zoo here talked to the keepers also no way in hell was la bete a striped hyena

ad

la bete never had spots either and had long hair which puts spotted hyena out of the question

spotted hyena is the only hyena species alive today that had the size and power to do what la bete did

some sub species of wolf like the giant macanzie vally wolf from yellowstone park here also had the size and power of la bete but neither of these matched what la bete looked like

Hmmm.... is not the film "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (fantastic film) based on that legend/story? The "beast" in the film is a large hyena type creature that some mad people tie into a suit or leather/wicker armour.

I saw a "making of" book about the Brotherhood of the Wolf, and supposedly that was supposed to be a lion.

beast_gevaudan.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

i just did a lot of research on the striped hyena and went to a local zoo here talked to the keepers also no way in hell was la bete a striped hyena

spotted hyena is the only hyena species alive today that had the size and power to do what la bete did

I agree. Spotted (or Cave) Hyena was extinct in Asia more then 8,000 years ago.

Striped hyena has the smallest head and jaws of the three hyena species.

Looks like the mystery continues.

this is driving me insane i can't accept a 2 hour long history channel special would make up a fake hyena? I want to see that ep so bad but i dont know how or where i have been trying for months i just wanna cry my head off

this is driving me insane i can't accept a 2 hour long history channel special would make up a fake hyena? I want to see that ep so bad but i dont know how or where i have been trying for months i just wanna cry my head off

Kindof what happend to me when I found out 1,000 Ways to Die is total fiction. I didn't cry, but I was disappointed. Still, makes you think about what ends up on tv....

On a positive note.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7011035/Giant-cattle-to-be-bred-back-from-extinction.html

About the Aurochs, which found depicted on cave walls, was also known in Europe until 1627.

Edited by Guyver