Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Patient has open-heart surgery while awake

Still Waters

The patient stares out at the camera, his fragile heart exposed during life-saving surgery.

The astonishing picture of Swaroup Anand shows just how far open-heart surgery has come in the last decade.

The 23-year-old went under the knife in Bangalore at Wockhardt Hospital while he was still very much awake.

Doctors chose to numb his body with an epidural to the neck rather than send him to sleep with general anaesthesia.

arrow3.gifRead more...

**WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGE**

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ~Onyx~

• Admiral Danger

• Cryptid_Control

• Mr Mojo Risin

how he wasnt screaming, i'll never know :blink:

but id hate to be like he was when on an operating table.

Whoa. Was unprepared for that picture. :o

**WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGE**

I had an epidural in my spine to give birth to my third child. I can't even tell you how awful it was, not whilst the delivery was taking place as there was no pain. It was the 'after effects' It took me nearly 24 hours before I could move my lower body. I have an insight now how it feels to be paralysed. Petrifying.

This guy has courage!

That picture's amazing. I admire the calm look on his face, as I don't think I'd be brave enough to want to stay awake for a procedure like that. I'd hate to think what would happen if the guy accidentally sneezed, though. :unsure2:

I'd hate to think what would happen if the guy accidentally sneezed, though. :unsure2:

that's terrible :o

:blink:

thats very sad to know some of our medical technology can not completely knock out someone for surgery especially on your heart. :wacko:

I had surgery on my neck to have a cyst removed while awake also, not a pleasant experience and i wish they put me out

I would be curious as to whether or not the patient felt the pressure of the incision or just nothing at all. I've heard of women receiving the epidural and feeling the "pressure" of the delivery, but not the pain, just curious if the same phenomena would apply.

I don't know if I could do something like that unless I had no choice. It looks like a bad dream come true, IMO.

I would be curious as to whether or not the patient felt the pressure of the incision or just nothing at all. I've heard of women receiving the epidural and feeling the "pressure" of the delivery, but not the pain, just curious if the same phenomena would apply.

I don't know if I could do something like that unless I had no choice. It looks like a bad dream come true, IMO.

I presume he wouldn't be in pain (although that's not what I've heard from women who had epidurals while giving birth!) but just being aware of what is going on-- and what they're doing to you-- is something I personally find very scary, not to mention disturbing.

on my last surgery I was awake; they didn't even use an epidural or numb up the area with a local, it was all done with propofol...the same drug that did Michael Jackson in...

I had what is called a Spinal Nerve Stimulator put in...it is kind of like a pacemaker, in that is send out a constant electrical signal to some damaged nerves I have in my back that are causing a lot of pain...the pacemaker device sends a signal to the same nerves, and it confuses the nerves that is sending out a constant pain signal.

Anyway the device is about an inch and a half wide and about 3/4 of an inch thick, and has wires that connect to it, those wires go from the device which is under the skin of my hip, to my spine, and into the spinal canal.

When they put the device in, I could not be asleep as I had to give feedback to the doctor as to how the signal felt on the damaged nerves- the only way to know it was in the right place. The doctor basically has an IV going with normal saline going in, when he has to make an incision, or push th wires under the skin(anything painful), he gives a larger dose of the propofol, which doesn't really numb anything up, but sedates me enough that I don't really care what is going on...after a few minutes of cutting, the dose wears off and I am able to to feel everything and can tell him if the wires are placed right to help the damaged nerves. After a bit of testing to make sure everything is OK, he gave me some morphine to help with the pain while he sutured everything up...but during the testing I had to be fully with it to judge that everything was ok...

It was pretty crazy because the pain of the 3 inch incision where the device goes, as well as the wires under my skin hurt like heck, and a couple of times the propofol dose was too low and I felt the incisions and just about came off the table, but the drug acts quickly and they would just push extra and things would settle down. I just remember laying there thinking how much it sucked and that I wish I could just be put under and wake up when it was done.

It was important to be awake in my case, but I don't see the benefit for things like heart surgery, and that would be seriously traumatic to all of a sudden feel your heart stop and be fully aware of what was going on. I have seen a few people who have had cardiac arrests in front of me, and after they were brought to again, they mentioned that they could feel their heart stopping and how terrifying that the feeling was...that is something I would rather take the small risk of being under and not have to deal with. All surgeries have risk, and anesthesia has its own risk too, but I would risk it to not have to go through that kind of experience...

thats very sad to know some of our medical technology can not completely knock out someone for surgery especially on your heart. :wacko:

Umm, Obviously they could knock him out, they just dident. It was probly his choice.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Cryptid_Control

I'm glad you have finally gotten your back, hopefully, taken care of, Fluffy...but yowie... :cry:

Edited by Michelle

I don't know if I would want to be awake for an open heart operation....and this is coming from someone who has had 2 c-sections while awake. :blink:

it depends,some people are different and tolerate things differently. i for example had a colonoscopy while completely awake. the anesthesia never worked and i was up the whole time and watched the screen and i even pointed out to the doctor, the polyps i saw on the screen

i also once chose to watch surgery on my foot, they numbed the toe area and i forced the divider away and told the doctor i wanted to watch

many people have brain surgery while awake