Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Killer dolphins' global phenomena

Cetacea

They leap through hoops, communicate with clicks and are seen as among the most intelligent of animals.

Attack of the killer dolphinPair suspected of ‘murdering’ unlucky porpoise They may look sweet but dolphins have been known to attack and kill porpoises

But Northern Ireland’s first confirmed case of a killer dolphin casts a whole new light on what are usually regarded as peace-loving mammals.

Scientists who carried out a post-mortem examination on the corpse of a porpoise found on rocks on the Co Antrim coast early in the New Year have revealed that its death is consistent with a bottlenose dolphin attack.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Interesting to see it's really a global occurence but the article really irks me, especially;

"But Northern Ireland’s first confirmed case of a killer dolphin casts a whole new light on what are usually regarded as peace-loving mammals." :rolleyes:

No it doesn't and only by people who know nothing about dolphins.

Also:

"“There is no record of bottlenose dolphins deliberately attacking people.”

Not strictly speaking true. Plenty of harassment even in the wild and plenty of bites, head butts etc in captivity or provoked in the wild.

Edited by Cetacea

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cetacea

• Queen in the North

• Abramelin

• Mattshark

Interesting to see it's really a global occurence but the article really irks me, especially;

"But Northern Ireland’s first confirmed case of a killer dolphin casts a whole new light on what are usually regarded as peace-loving mammals." :rolleyes:

No it doesn't and only by people who know nothing about dolphins.

Also:

"“There is no record of bottlenose dolphins deliberately attacking people.”

Not strictly speaking true. Plenty of harassment even in the wild and plenty of bites, head butts etc in captivity or provoked in the wild.

See even the cute cuddly ocean creatures can kill ya. Moral of the story: Stay the heck out of the ocean! (sorry i have a somewhat unreasonable phobia)

Like say if your cousin leaps out of your boat into a pod of dolphins on porpoi- I mean purpose.

Dolphins are wild animals. A bit more generous towards people than others, maybe. But they are still deadly and dangerous predators.

Like say if your cousin leaps out of your boat into a pod of dolphins on porpoi- I mean purpose.

Dolphins are wild animals. A bit more generous towards people than others, maybe. But they are still deadly and dangerous predators.

Not only are they wild animals, but they are predators, they live exclusively by eating other animals.

Not only are they wild animals, but they are predators, they live exclusively by eating other animals.

But they look sooo cute and they can jump through hoops! Surely that offsets any danger, right? :rolleyes:

But they look sooo cute and they can jump through hoops! Surely that offsets any danger, right? :rolleyes:

AND they make those cute sounds and they smile all the time! And Flipper saved LOADS of people and telly is OBVIOUSLY the number one best source for any animal related question so it would be stupid to assume that they may not be nice! THE TELLY SAID SO!

I think we all know the stories of people who fell overboard from their boats and-or floated around on the ocean, and were saved by these dolphins.

But of course we never heard stories - because the people drowned - of those who were dragged further onto the ocean by these dolphins, instead of to the shore.

This find will be a waking up call for those who still have those rosy romantic new-age fantasies about these creatures.

They are intelligent, AND, they can kill (you). Wow....

This find will be a waking up call for those who still have those rosy romantic new-age fantasies about these creatures.

They are intelligent, AND, they can kill (you). Wow....

Sadly those kind of people seem to have a knack for ignoring evidence, especially unpleasant facts that threaten to overthrow their happy smiley friendly dolphin ideals.... :hmm:

But they look sooo cute and they can jump through hoops! Surely that offsets any danger, right? rolleyes.gif

Heheh, even you can be made to jump through hoops and look cute all the time..... if you are caged and get extra food when you do what's been 'asked' from you.

These are intelligent creatures, so they will do just about anything to fight the boredom that results from being intelligent AND imprisoned.

And then you see those 'trainers' cheer and laugh and clap their hands when a dolphin solves some simple task.

I have often wondered what goes round in the minds of these animals when they see these trainers act like happy jerks for something so simple.

Heheh, even you can be made to jump through hoops and look cute all the time..... if you are caged and get extra food when you do what's been 'asked' from you.

These are intelligent creatures, so they will do just about anything to fight the boredom that results from being intelligent AND imprisoned.

And then you see those 'trainers' cheer and laugh and clap their hands when a dolphin solves some simple task.

I have often wondered what goes round in the minds of these animals when they see these trainers act like happy jerks for something so simple.

Funny how when you put it like that the 'trainer' isn't at all what they appear to be. I imagine the dolphin's thoughts are something sarcastic along the lines of, "Really? You're applauding something I could do backwards in my sleep?"

And of course, one can not have an intelligent dolphin thread without the staple:

funny-pictures-dolphin-jump-all-the-fish.jpg

It is said that women are in more danger than men, especially during menstruation. I've seen studies that indicate violence against humans start as a sexual advance by one dolphin. Especially in those tanks where they allow people to get in and pet/touch the dolphins. Touching them can often get them sexually aroused. Once the pod gets into a sexual frenzy thats when it's most dangerous. Obviously female dolphins can take the bumping and love bites or being laid on and pushed below the surface.

In other cases I've seen pods of a certain type attack other dolphins and kill them.

Oh goodness, tell me about it...... I've tried watching SeaWorld shows for 'educational' purposes, ie. to know what I'm talking about, and I am firmly convinced you must have incurred serious damage to work as a 'trainer'. YEY LOOK I MADE THEM TOUCH TONGUES ISN'T THAT SIMPLY SUPER! OH MY I AM SO CLEVER I MAY PEE MYSELF WITH EXCITEMENT! :rolleyes: it's revolting. Ok so I admit I am anti-stupidly perky people anyway but that level of perkiness crossed with ignorance, stupidity and animal cruelty...don't get me started.

It is said that women are in more danger than men, especially during menstruation. I've seen studies that indicate violence against humans start as a sexual advance by one dolphin. Especially in those tanks where they allow people to get in and pet/touch the dolphins. Touching them can often get them sexually aroused. Once the pod gets into a sexual frenzy thats when it's most dangerous. Obviously female dolphins can take the bumping and love bites or being laid on and pushed below the surface.

In other cases I've seen pods of a certain type attack other dolphins and kill them.

Yep, bottlenose dolphins are very well known for their sexual aggression which is why I really, really don't get why the swim with programs are so popular! Ask anyone who works with bottlenoses and they will tell you they are going to try to shag whatever gets into their path. Though 'pods' are unlikely to get into a 'sexual frenzy', pods in bottlenoses are based on a fission-fusion society, they are not constant, I think what you mean is all male long term associations, usually two or three males which associate for long periods often soley for the purpose of coercing females into mating.

Yep, bottlenose dolphins are very well known for their sexual aggression which is why I really, really don't get why the swim with programs are so popular! Ask anyone who works with bottlenoses and they will tell you they are going to try to shag whatever gets into their path. Though 'pods' are unlikely to get into a 'sexual frenzy', pods in bottlenoses are based on a fission-fusion society, they are not constant, I think what you mean is all male long term associations, usually two or three males which associate for long periods often soley for the purpose of coercing females into mating.

Randy buggers!

I am so glad I don't have any swum-with-dolphins-as-a-child memories to have ruined and tainted by real life.

:P

Randy buggers!

I am so glad I don't have any swum-with-dolphins-as-a-child memories to have ruined and tainted by real life.

:P

Lol, yep, Botos are much more romantic!

Although they can get pretty rough with swimmers, as is to be expected with any wild animal. But hey, at least you get a nice clump of seaweed before they try it on with you ;)

I'd advise any of the dolphin romanticisers to spend a few weeks on a research boat, they'll get un-enamoured very, very quickly...

Edited by Cetacea

Lol, yep, Botos are much more romantic!

Although they can get pretty rough with swimmers, as is to be expected with any wild animal. But hey, at least you get a nice clump of seaweed before they try it on with you ;)

I'd advise any of the dolphin romanticisers to spend a few weeks on a research boat, they'll get un-enamoured very, very quickly...

Lol, I was worried about clicking that link! That's weird.

not surprising at all, I have heard alot of stories of both saving people, harassing, or killing people. This shouldn't come to be a surprise considering alot of people say that dolphins are similar to us in many ways. So if humans harass and kill others, no reason a dolphin wouldn't for entertainment alone.

not surprising at all, I have heard alot of stories of both saving people, harassing, or killing people. This shouldn't come to be a surprise considering alot of people say that dolphins are similar to us in many ways. So if humans harass and kill others, no reason a dolphin wouldn't for entertainment alone.

the most disturbing report I've heard from dolphin behavioral studies, comprised of a observation of male dolphins purposefully drowning a pup, or young dolphin, and then using the body as a toy.

The USA and other countries trained dolphins for warfare - including mine laying/clearance and for anti diver ops.

they are predators and have innate abilitys for aggression and to kill so were relatively easy to train.

They will gang up on sharks, turning themselves into battering rams constantly beating the shark's gills until it dies so a human could easily come in for the same treatment.

The USA and other countries trained dolphins for warfare - including mine laying/clearance and for anti diver ops.

they are predators and have innate abilitys for aggression and to kill so were relatively easy to train.

They will gang up on sharks, turning themselves into battering rams constantly beating the shark's gills until it dies so a human could easily come in for the same treatment.

Actually they generally only do that with sharks that don't eat dolphin. You put a tiger shark, bull, oceanic whitetip, great hammerhead, white, mako in with them and they will just leave as fast as possible. Sharks kill way, way more dolphins than vice versa, a lot of large sharks eat dolphin and that includes dolphins bigger or the same size as themselves.

They tried to train dolphin to ward off sharks in the 60's and 70's, the dolphin refused to go near the bull sharks they were tested with though.

Sharks have 2 things dolphins lack which makes them far more successful: Super sharpe teeth (one bite can kill a dolphin) and gills.

Also, lots of the military trained dolphin went awol :lol:

Edited by Mattshark

Actually they generally only do that with sharks that don't eat dolphin. You put a tiger shark, bull, oceanic whitetip, great hammerhead, white, mako in with them and they will just leave as fast as possible. Sharks kill way, way more dolphins than vice versa, a lot of large sharks eat dolphin and that includes dolphins bigger or the same size as themselves.

They tried to train dolphin to ward off sharks in the 60's and 70's, the dolphin refused to go near the bull sharks they were tested with though.

Also, lots of the military trained dolphin went awol :lol:

Cheers Mattshark, every day on UM is an education and I love learning stuff even at 108years old :lol:

Yes they went Awol, but only to help set up dolphin mujahadeen training camps ready for their take over bid!

now all they have to do is grow legs and the end of humanity is in their grasp Mwahahahahaha :whistle:

Cheers Mattshark, every day on UM is an education and I love learning stuff even at 108years old :lol:

Yes they went Awol, but only to help set up dolphin mujahadeen training camps ready for their take over bid!

now all they have to do is grow legs and the end of humanity is in their grasp Mwahahahahaha :whistle:

:lol:

the most disturbing report I've heard from dolphin behavioral studies, comprised of a observation of male dolphins purposefully drowning a pup( it's calf :) ), or young dolphin, and then using the body as a toy.

Yep, infanticide is not uncommon amonst bottlenoses, some people think this behaviour is also linked to the kills of harbour porpoises, either due to mistaken identity or 'target practice', or, well fun and games....

I say we get rid of these baby killing animals! It's about time we put an end to this sordid affair and stop this dolphin on baby crime! I think South Park had it right with their Japanese "Fu*k you Dolphin and Whale!"

So... who's gonna bring the club?!

I say we get rid of these baby killing animals! It's about time we put an end to this sordid affair and stop this dolphin on baby crime! I think South Park had it right with their Japanese "Fu*k you Dolphin and Whale!"

So... who's gonna bring the club?!

Maybe we should start a thread about abortion??

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I wonder if the dolphins keep track of how often we kill other species... they might find we are also quite violent