Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Animated Avatar Workshop

thebarman

Wow, so many avatars! You guys rock!

359647[/snapback]

I just counted them, 62 by UniversalAbsurdity and 43 by myself giving a whopping total of 105 animated avatars!

...and that's not including the ones done by the apprentices.

Well done guys thumbsup.gif

Hey i was wandering if u guys could do something with this pic.

[attachmentid=8293]

My sis also likes this pic. maybe you can like make the water ripple and the lights flicker? I hope I'm not asking for too much. sad.gif

[attachmentid=8295]

Edit-merged posts

-UA

post-11887-1100714464.jpg

post-11887-1100715292.jpg

Edited by UniversalAbsurdity

a little too hard for me FF, but maybe UA or Barman could do something (seems like i say that far too often laugh.gif )

Edited by Jesus_Freak

Feenix Fire,

I'm flattered that you think I could do something with those pics, really, but what you need is someone like Pixar or Dreamworks! They're a bit too complicated even for the likes of us wacko.gif

If you wanted them shrunk down to the size of an avatar and then animated then that would be fine but thats really the extent of my skills, sorry crying.gif

This is what size it'd have to be...

post-4461-1100769425.jpg

it would be great if i could do somthing with my avitar, nothing extravagent, just somthing to spice it up a bit

i know theres not alot to work with, anything would be fine, supprise me original.gif

Edited by bloodmoon

Difficult one, you're right when you say there's not a lot to work with. I'll have a tweek with it and show you what I can come up with...

Edit: Well this is what I came up with, it's not much but I think subtle is cool cool.gif

Let me know if it's ok...

user posted image

URL:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/thebarman/bloodmoon2.gif

Edited by thebarman

Good job barman, i like the subtle dripping thumbsup.gif

WoW 106 animations now.. blink.gif 62 of mine and now 44 of yours barman, well i'm giving you some time to catch up tongue.gif

I'm moving anytime between the next few weeks, and the end of december. ive got a lot of things to do, i wont be on much at all untill after i get settled in. So i'm taking a break from animating and posting for a bit.

I wanted to let everyone know.

Well I know I speak for everyone here when I say you'll be sorely missed UA, take care and we hope to see you back soon.

So....who's gonna help me animate these avatars then?

Barman- If I had my own computer up and running, and Macromedia's Firework MX, I'd be so willing to... but at present, I'm trying to find a place that won't explode when I turn the gas heat on. LOL

LOL.........Maybe al the tims coffee cups are a form of fuel for those explosions??? tongue.gif

Edited by jeremy_rumbolt

well, i'm on my computer constantly (except during school, and sleep) since i have no life. I'll help out as best as i can with what resources i have.

oh Barman, about Ulead and MSN... if i just sign up for MSN mail, is that the same as their IM service? I have trillian (combines AIM, IRC, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo) so then i could beg you for Ulead grin2.gif

Edited by Jesus_Freak

I made my avatar. Its my first time USing unleead, and the "fading" effect. I've used microsoft GIF animator before. What do you pros think of the job i did?

not saying i'm a pro, but it's good. a little different than how UA does lightning, but i like it... it's good...

good job thumbsup.gif

Thats awsome Jeremy! I can actually hear music playing along with the fading... I don't know why.

Thats awsome Jeremy! I can actually hear music playing along with the fading... I don't know why.

362863[/snapback]

Probably because your on some kind of hallucinogenic drug! blink.gif (joke)

oh Barman, about Ulead and MSN... if i just sign up for MSN mail, is that the same as their IM service? I have trillian (combines AIM, IRC, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo) so then i could beg you for Ulead

If you want Ulead then just ask, my MSN is barman_benvolio_1999@hotmail.com, just add me and then when we're both online I'll send it to you, it's a zipped file about 9mb and when I sent it to Jeremy it took about 10 minutes or so.

Alternatively as we're on different timezones get Jeremy's MSN and maybe he can send it to you, as I seem to be online when everyone else is tucked up in bed sad.gif

(i could use your help on MM)

Maybe I should start up a Gif animating "How To" thread, or I could do it in here, just running through how to get the basic effects and we could all share hints and tips, what does everyone think? huh.gif

Edited by thebarman

Sure. But i meant,i have started a thread over there, and wondered if you would help with animating, since i have no where near the skill you have.

Lightning Tutorial:

OK, I thought I'd put together a little lightning tutorial as hopefully the first of a few so we can all animate super wonderfull things together, here goes using jeremy rumbolt's (JR) avatar as an example...

STEP 1:

First we take the basic frame of JR's avatar [see Fig.1] and save it to our hard drive, call it something like '01' then you'll know later on that it's the first frame.

Fig.1

user posted image

STEP 2:

Next, we need to add the lightning, now remember lightning is really fast, so we only need one frame, it should be a 'flash' not a strike.

So, we take our image titled '01' and "Save As" --> '02', then draw in our lightning. This bit is down to personal taste but I think zig-zags look best [see Fig.2], keep it simple no need for lightning all over the place.

Fig.2

user posted image

STEP 3:

Lightning is of course, quite bright, so along with the initial strike we want to give the effect that it has illuminated the sky. To do this we take our image '01' again and save it as, you guessed it --> '03'. Then we simply fill the background/sky in with white [see Fig.3].

Fig.3

user posted image

STEP 4:

We cant just have one strike of lightning, that would be boring, so take good old image '01' and add a completely different lightning strike and save it as '04' [see Fig.4].

Fig.4

user posted image

STEP 5:

OK, so now we've got all the frames we need, we just need to put them in order and stick them into our animator, remember we've only got 4 images but some will be duplicated. In this particular animation there are 12 frames, [see Fig.5] and this is their order:

Fig.5

user posted image

After each strike, comes a flash, then the strike again, the order of them is really personal preference and you could have as many different strikes as you like but it's best to keep it simple.

STEP 6:

Final step once all the frames are in our animator is the timing, again keep it simple. For this animation frames 1 and 5 are two seconds long, every other frame is 0.1 seconds long.

After this is done it should look like this...[see Fig.6]

Fig.6

user posted image

...and that's that, lightning!

I would Neo, but I'm out the office till 29th Nov so I won't be posting till then, perhaps this is a good time for another animator to read my lightning tutorial and prove his worth...

Just wondering, and all, but could any one make the words on my avvie flicker? I dunno how to do this stuff...

Maybe even add a bit more than just flickery words? Dunno, just wondering...I guess I will have to wait a while...

monkey, if you could find a pic of him actually holding a beer, it would be easier... especially if it's to his mouth.

and autopsies, i'll see what i can do tomorrow... i'm kinda busy tonight