Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead woman comes back to life

UM-Bot

In a classic case of "Lazarus Syndrome" a dead woman who was being prepared for burial suddenly started breathing again. Its rare but it can happen, despite being declared dead only one day prior the woman started breathing again on her own and was moved to a hospital where it was found that she was actually in a coma.

"Funeral home workers in the Colombian city of Cali got the shock of a lifetime when an apparently dead 45-year-old woman suddenly started breathing and moving as they prepared her for burial, AFP reported Wednesday."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Fox News

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Fluffybunny

• Queen in the North

• Mandrake

She wasn't dead, people thought she was dead. Big difference.

She wasn't dead, people thought she was dead. Big difference.

Very true, but it would still scare the crap out of me for assuming. Haha.

she was just breathing imagine if it was sitting up screaming with projectile vomit *shivers*

she was just breathing imagine if it was sitting up screaming with projectile vomit *shivers*

"It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!, SATAN IS TRYING TO COME THROUGH!!!!". Then they shove a cross into her head and hope for the best. XD

If I was a morgue worker I probably would have hit her in the head with a shovel or something because... zombies... ya know?

shes the new messiah, :innocent: lets string her up on a cross and have a BBQ...

sorry had to say it. :devil:

If I was a morgue worker I probably would have hit her in the head with a shovel or something because... zombies... ya know?

This!

I remember reading somewhere that in the 1800s people were terrified of this happening to them. One woman insisted on being stuffed into a clock case so in case she wasn't dead, people would know.

I remember reading somewhere that in the 1800s people were terrified of this happening to them. One woman insisted on being stuffed into a clock case so in case she wasn't dead, people would know.

They also used to put Bells at the grave site with a string in the casket so if someone woke up they could hear them.

I remember a story that circulated during the civilian uprising against the regime of Nicolae Ceausescu, Romania.

I don't know if it's just an urban legend, but here it is:

During that uprising the civilian victims were brought in to a certain morgue. On some late night a young dead woman was brought into the morgue, and after the people who brought her in had left, the warden lifted up the sheet that she was covered in and noticed that she was a really beautiful woman. He also noticed she was still 'warm', and thought by himself something like, "Hmm, no one around, and what a beauty she is...", and he 'did his thing' with the dead woman. While he was at it, the not so dead woman started moaning, woke up, and the warden nearly died himself of a heartattack.

Later the family of that woman thanked the warden , despite their digust of how he had found out she was not dead at all.

They also used to put Bells at the grave site with a string in the casket so if someone woke up they could hear them.

Thus the term 'dead ringer'. The people that sat in the cemeteries listening for these bells were working the 'graveyard shift'. :tu:

Thus the term 'dead ringer'. The people that sat in the cemeteries listening for these bells were working the 'graveyard shift'. :tu:

I could well do that.

Except there's that story (creepy creepypasta is appropriate!)... can't find it now, of the bell that rung and the person yelled to be dug up, but they'd been dead for months. :ph34r: *shudder*

This is why people need to be confirmed dead...not just a quick pulse check. Many illnesses and injuries can cause the brain to slow down the respiration rate, and the pulse rate to a point it is hard to pick it up by palpating it...Any time we think someone is dead we hook a heart monitor to them to see if there is any electrical activity present. You can have electrical activity in the heart and no pulse(i.e. PEA's) which means that there is a chance to bring the person around. Unless a person is decapitated or in rigor, we will try to work them anyway on the outside chance they can be saved(except for people that have a DNR notice of course). I can't imagine that anyone who has been diagnosed as dead by us ever had any chance of living. We work really hard to do our best to save people...

DNR??? Department of Natural Recources?

LOL

Odie

This is why people need to be confirmed dead...not just a quick pulse check. Many illnesses and injuries can cause the brain to slow down the respiration rate, and the pulse rate to a point it is hard to pick it up by palpating it...Any time we think someone is dead we hook a heart monitor to them to see if there is any electrical activity present. You can have electrical activity in the heart and no pulse(i.e. PEA's) which means that there is a chance to bring the person around. Unless a person is decapitated or in rigor, we will try to work them anyway on the outside chance they can be saved(except for people that have a DNR notice of course). I can't imagine that anyone who has been diagnosed as dead by us ever had any chance of living. We work really hard to do our best to save people...

My mum (a nurse and paramedic) has told me the same thing. Even when I went and got my first aid certificate, they told me that unless the person is in rigor or the injuries are obviously fatal, you try to save them.

But having read this article, I think I'll put it in my will that when it is declared that I've rocked off this mortal coil... I went a second opinion :mellow:

DNR??? Department of Natural Recources?

LOL

Odie

Do Not Resuscitate

One of the places I worked was very rural and we had to deal with forest fires all the time...I have been on several mobilizations for fires in Washington...one of the guys I met that worked for Department of Natural resources as a firefighter went out and got a tattoo on his chest that said "DNR"...everyone looked at it and thought that it was a medical Do Not Resuscitate protocol rather than anything to do with firefighting...He went back and had "Department of Natural resources" added to the top of the tattoo in smaller type, just to make it clear...

Bah, we now know you're gonan die from zombie brain munching. What good is a shovel against the undead?

I could well do that.

Except there's that story (creepy creepypasta is appropriate!)... can't find it now, of the bell that rung and the person yelled to be dug up, but they'd been dead for months. :ph34r: *shudder*

Eeeek - ZOMBIE!!! :blink:

Lizardian_Guy

She wasn't dead, people thought she was dead. Big difference

That's right...

I dont know what use they have in publishing like this ---- Dead woman comes back to life

Sorry, that was my Scottish side making that last post...

I remember a story that circulated during the civilian uprising against the regime of Nicolae Ceausescu, Romania.

I don't know if it's just an urban legend, but here it is:

During that uprising the civilian victims were brought in to a certain morgue. On some late night a young dead woman was brought into the morgue, and after the people who brought her in had left, the warden lifted up the sheet that she was covered in and noticed that she was a really beautiful woman. He also noticed she was still 'warm', and thought by himself something like, "Hmm, no one around, and what a beauty she is...", and he 'did his thing' with the dead woman. While he was at it, the not so dead woman started moaning, woke up, and the warden nearly died himself of a heartattack.

Later the family of that woman thanked the warden , despite their digust of how he had found out she was not dead at all.

that is very disturbing what happened to the warden

Do Not Resuscitate

One of the places I worked was very rural and we had to deal with forest fires all the time...I have been on several mobilizations for fires in Washington...one of the guys I met that worked for Department of Natural resources as a firefighter went out and got a tattoo on his chest that said "DNR"...everyone looked at it and thought that it was a medical Do Not Resuscitate protocol rather than anything to do with firefighting...He went back and had "Department of Natural resources" added to the top of the tattoo in smaller type, just to make it clear...

I know this is of topic but I am interested to know how they do things in your area. You don't use TOR (Termination of Resusitation) orders for penetrating VSA? In my area if a patient is over 16 and 20 minutes from a trauma center or emergency department we call a TOR even with electrical activity.