Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can we dispose of radioactive waste in volcanoes ?

UM-Bot

It seems like the ideal way to dispose of radioactive materials within nature's biggest furnaces. There are some 29,000 tons of spent uranium fuel rods in the world but while incinerating them inside volcanoes might seem like a sure-fire way to dispose of them in reality even a volcano doesn't meet the heat requirements to do this.

"Dumping all our nuclear waste in a volcano does seem like a neat solution for destroying the roughly 29,000 tons of spent uranium fuel rods stockpiled around the world. But there’s a critical standard that a volcano would have to meet to properly dispose of the stuff, explains Charlotte Rowe, a volcano geophysicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Popular Science

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• FootBeef

• kobolds

• xCrimsonx

Crazy crazy crazy.,. asking for trouble if you ask me. Might as well splash toxic water on to an oil fueled fire. :wacko:

Its easy.,. stop creating and making Nuclear waste then. We didnt need It in horse and cart times and we cant affored to have it now <_< !

I wonder how productive It would be for someone to pour ammonic acid on to a hot plate.,. and see what happens!! :wacko: Yayyee what fun.

The Darvaza Hole (Hells Door) HISTORY Shows playing god makes things worse. - These pix are Awesome.

http://www.vacationideas.me/asia/the-door-to-hell-burning-gas-crater-darvaza-turkmenistan/

Poison her from the inside.,. she might die faster.

I reckon If we were to start playing with the molten pits of the earth then we might just feel the hot spit of its reaction! :yes:

When will humans listen.,. freaks fueling a fire!! Let the earth to do her thing and stop messing up what we currently breaking anyways!:wacko:

Edited by xCrimsonx

It seems like the ideal way to dispose of radioactive materials within nature's biggest furnaces. There are some 29,000 tons of spent uranium fuel rods in the world but while incinerating them inside volcanoes might seem like a sure-fire way to dispose of them in reality even a volcano doesn't meet the heat requirements to do this.

"Dumping all our nuclear waste in a volcano does seem like a neat solution for destroying the roughly 29,000 tons of spent uranium fuel rods stockpiled around the world. But there's a critical standard that a volcano would have to meet to properly dispose of the stuff, explains Charlotte Rowe, a volcano geophysicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Popular Science

wtf!!!!!!....im with crimmy on this...............light a match and run...far,far away.....................i have actually never heard of anything more insane.........blink.gif

Can you imagine the toxic steam.,,. smoke and acid rain this would cause.,. the surrounding air would be unbreathable, the farming lands and the soil. The global wind currents and how far they travel could be a disaster. :no: Whats to say we dont accidently gum up the volcano and It plugs and blows a hole right through to the opposite side of the globe.. "Peek aboo".,. China we can seeee yoooou! :wacko:

I know it would cost more, but lets throw that crap into the sun.....ya think thats hot enough???!!!

I have a theory about what would happen... The magma will mutate into a magma-monster-mutant! :w00t:

There is a saying that every action has a reaction. It might get rid of the toxic waste but there would probably be new problems that would come of it.

Relax, they are scientists..... they know what they are doing..... I for one would welcome the warm evening glow of radioactive atmosphere, could be romantic...

I think that everyone needs to move on from the stigma of Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island. Nuclear power has come a very long way since those incidents (Chernobyl hardly count as it was an incredibly shoddy facility).

Nuclear power, I feel, is the answer to growing energy concerns. You can simply recycle all nuclear by-products, France has been doing it for quite a while.

i think the movie superman 3 or 4 gives a good way for disposal of the rods, sent them to the sun puff...problem solved

A VOLCANCO WTF was these scientists that thought of this idea 2nd grade scientists lol what about guided rockets carrying there capacity load of waste into space on a course to the sun and have them lifting off every day that would solve the problem if not the sun send them out the solar system lol give the problem to e.t

i think it would be too dangerous to send radioactive material into the sun. we would have to launch them on rockets. if the rockets explode, its pretty much going to be a dirty bomb explosion

France, whose 59 reactors generate 80 percent of its electricity, has safely recycled nuclear fuel for decades. They turned to nuclear power in the 1970s to limit their dependence on foreign energy. And, from the beginning, they made recycling used fuel central to their program.

Upon its removal from French reactors, used fuel is packed in containers and safely shipped via train and road to a facility in La Hague. There, the energy producing uranium and plutonium are removed and separated from the other waste and made into new fuel that can be used again. The entire process adds about 6 percent in costs for the French. Since beginning operations, France's La Hague plant has safely processed over 23,000 tones of used fuel--enough to power France for fourteen years.

Ipso facto, nuclear power is safe and effective. I was very surprised when President Obama allotted $8.33 billion loan guarantee for two nuclear reactors just outside Atlanta, GA.

A VOLCANCO WTF was these scientists that thought of this idea 2nd grade scientists lol

Humm...

...what about guided rockets carrying there capacity load of waste into space on a course to the sun and have them lifting off every day that would solve the problem if not the sun send them out the solar system lol give the problem to e.t

The irony...

I know reading is a dirty word to a lot of poster's , but the article is about why it wouldn't work!

From the Link: The lava would have to not only melt the fuel rods but also strip the uranium of its radioactivity. “Unfortunately,” Rowe says, “volcanoes just aren’t very hot.”

Lava in the hottest volcanoes tops out at around 2,400˚F. (These tend to be shield volcanoes, so named for their relatively flat, broad profile. The Hawaiian Islands continue to be formed by this type of volcano.) It takes temperatures that are tens of thousands of degrees hotter than that to split uranium’s atomic nuclei and alter its radioactivity to make it inert, Rowe says. What you need is a thermonuclear reaction, like an atomic bomb—not a great way to dispose of nuclear waste.

Humm...

The irony...

heehee im no scientist lol but what the hey if were all damed in 2012 lmao so so much then why not try it lol

France, whose 59 reactors generate 80 percent of its electricity, has safely recycled nuclear fuel for decades. They turned to nuclear power in the 1970s to limit their dependence on foreign energy. And, from the beginning, they made recycling used fuel central to their program.

Upon its removal from French reactors, used fuel is packed in containers and safely shipped via train and road to a facility in La Hague. There, the energy producing uranium and plutonium are removed and separated from the other waste and made into new fuel that can be used again. The entire process adds about 6 percent in costs for the French. Since beginning operations, France's La Hague plant has safely processed over 23,000 tones of used fuel--enough to power France for fourteen years.

Ipso facto, nuclear power is safe and effective. I was very surprised when President Obama allotted $8.33 billion loan guarantee for two nuclear reactors just outside Atlanta, GA.

it is good only for as long as nothing wrong happen . Have you forget about the Chernobyl disaster?

having a nuclear reactor next to your house , is it same as living next to a volcano . it's only matter of time .

So what, then? Carry on relying on coal imported from China or Russia to meet the ever-increasing demand? "renewable" energy might be feasible in places like Switzerland where there's plenty of sources of hydroelectric power, but that doesn't apply everywhere. Frankly, i think it's the only realistic option in a lot of places, at least if we want to keep using the electrciity that we do.

Anyway, if this method of disposal worked with the One Ring to Rule them All, surely a bit of nucular waste'd be no problem.

So what, then? Carry on relying on coal imported from China or Russia to meet the ever-increasing demand? "renewable" energy might be feasible in places like Switzerland where there's plenty of sources of hydroelectric power, but that doesn't apply everywhere. Frankly, i think it's the only realistic option in a lot of places, at least if we want to keep using the electrciity that we do.

Anyway, if this method of disposal worked with the One Ring to Rule them All, surely a bit of nucular waste'd be no problem.

this is why I hate human :alien:

it is good only for as long as nothing wrong happen . Have you forget about the Chernobyl disaster?

having a nuclear reactor next to your house , is it same as living next to a volcano . it's only matter of time .

Chernobyl happened in 1986 and was a shoddy Soviet facility with major deficiencies in the reactor design. Soviet policies at the time weren't exactly strict they were operating the facility at well below power standards, the Soviets were well known to have a, let's say, deficient safety culture.

People need to move on, advances in reactor technology have advanced quite far.

Coal in America comes from Wyoming.

Drop 29,000 tons of spent fuel rods into a volcano? Why does that sound totally insane? I'm no nuclear physicist or anything, but wouldn't all that heat combined with unstable nuclear waste create a really, really large chain reaction? I'm picturing a deep crater blown out of the side of the earth and radioactive waste circling the globe. Doesn't sound like a nifty idea to me...

i hate whenever anybody says "but, but, but, CHERNOBYL!?!" whenever discussing nuclear power. there are literally hundreds of nuclear facilities around the globe, and to date there have been like three 'incidents.' one total meltdown and nuclear power tarnishes its reputation forever. its not like every reactor in the world is run by vodka-laden soviets. and i think they learned their lesson after that one.

WHY NOT JUST BUILD A SPACE BARGE OR SOMETHING AND SEND THE NUCLEAR WASTE IN TO THE SUN.

im afraid energy generation techniques must be cost effective to be implemented widely. blasting thousands of tons of waste material into the sun would offset the potential profits from generating the energy in the first place. other than that, i think its a wonderful idea. but it would never work.

Chernobyl happened in 1986 and was a shoddy Soviet facility with major deficiencies in the reactor design. Soviet policies at the time weren't exactly strict they were operating the facility at well below power standards, the Soviets were well known to have a, let's say, deficient safety culture.

People need to move on, advances in reactor technology have advanced quite far.

Coal in America comes from Wyoming.

exactly. and coal is actually quite cheap as opposed to other energy sources. dig. burn. enjoy. we can sequester all that CO2 later anyhow. and until we can harness the power of fusion, we need a reliable compliment to our other methods of power generation.

in regards to the article: horrendous idea. nuclear krakatoa? no thanks.

and that hells door place. holy crap. that is cool. :o:huh::devil:

-reb