Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is someone trying to tell me something?

Three Thirteen

I've lurked here for quite some time now, and yesterday, I decided I needed to make this post (today, right now has been my first opportunity to do so).

I realize some of you may be skeptical, but what's happening can be corroborated by others if needed. I am not a superstitious man either, I am quite the opposite.

Yet, for several years now, the number sequence "313" has jumped out at me on countless occasions. At first, I thought it was funny because I just assumed it was because it is the date of my birth (March 13th), so obviously I'd notice it. However, in recent months, it has gotten stronger. Believe it or not, at this point, I see the numbers once or twice every single day.

There are many examples of this I can come up with that wouldn't happen just because I look for it. I've entertained every rational explanation I can conceive, but nothing can satisfy or grasp this phenomena.

A couple months ago, I drove by a building with the number. I often wake up from naps/in the middle of the night at 3:13. Many times, I'll randomly walk into a room, and it will be that time. Last week I saw a license plate with the number. Yesterday, when watching the first episode of the fourth season of The Office, the characters visit another character in the hospital, and they passed by a room numbered 313. A couple weeks ago, I was browsing a video game forum, and came upon a post by a user who had the following image in his signature:

aedlz2.jpg

Seemingly random, yes. No explanation in his signature. Just that picture. Weird!

Also, two days ago, during a training course for work, after viewing a video and going over paperwork, my co-worker asked me the time. I looked at the clock, and guess what time it was! 3:13, of course. I told her, then afterwords, I kind of went off somewhere on my own, banging the wall and whispering "NO!" to myself.

This is actually getting scary. I feel like I'm being followed by something or like I'm being given a cryptic message.

I also visited a website explaining the significance of certain numbers, and here are the results; eerie stuff:

313 (base ten) = 100111001 (base two). Note that 100111001 (base ten) is a palindromic prime as well. The only three-digit number with this property.

The largest known prime that divides a unitary perfect number.

Islam's first battle (The Battle of Badr) against the pagans of Mecca was fought and won by 313 Muslims. In Shi'ism, it is believed that Imam al-Mahdi (the ultimate savior of the believers) will appear when there are 313 true and sincere Shia followers in the world.

Elizabeth Haich's book Initiation analyzes the significance of 313 in ancient Egyptology.

If 313 people are chosen at random, then the probability that at least five of them will share the same birthday is greater than 50%.

Wood's History of Alameda County, California, published in the decade around the first U.S. centennial, includes 313 men and not one woman!

The smallest number to appear exactly three times in its own factorial (313!).

The Mayan ruins of Cobá near Tulúm in the Yucatán peninsula contains a pyramid that has a total of 313 glyphs on its four sides.

In the movie Somewhere In Time, playwright Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) checks into room number 313 of the Grand Hotel (Mackinac Island, Michigan).

The Roman emperor Constantine made Christianity the official religion in A.D. 313.

There are 313 exclamation marks in the KJV Bible! The first one occurs at the end of Genesis 17:18.

Eris, the largest known dwarf planet in the solar system, was previously designated UB313 in 2003.

A fingerprint of Divinity is seen in this number in that it is a compound of two mirror-image emirps, 31, the Hebrew alpha-numberic value of the name GOD [EL = 1+30], and 13, the prime in the Hebrew name of Jehovah [YHVH = 10+5+6+5 = 26 = 2*13], hence, 31/13 compounded = 313.

In the official footage of the JFK assassination, the instant the bullet hits President Kennedy's head, lies on frame 313.

I feel like I'm living the film, "The Number 23", or LOST.

Does anyone else have this experience with this number? Does anyone know anything about the number or know what all this means? ANY KIND OF HELP would be appreciated greatly.

Nobody is trying to tell you anything, take comfort in the fact that all the numbers you see that are NOT 313, try to hang in there because it seems like you're possibly going off the deep end on this one.

I suggest you start using a 24 hour military time kind of watch, and stop actually looking up 313, like the constantine fact or the other stuff that appeared in your list of appearances. You're clearly searching them out and while it is not my place to judge, it seems like you are obsessing pretty heavily over this now, which can do uncomfortable things to the mind. Remember that they're just digits who are bound to appear now and then.

Also, is there any reason why anoyne would try to tell you specifically some message, and why choose the method of conveying said message, by prodding you towards a breakdown? And if that was the purpose of all this, who would want to do this and why?

I think maybe you should try to contact some psychologist or another person who is qualified in the field of counseling of people with obsessions, they can probably offer some good insights on the subject.

I don't mean any of this harshly, I hope you understand that.

• Like 1

You see this a lot here, as you know if you've lurked for a while, people seeing this or that repeating number or, for me on occasion, person, object or event, like one week it was just Beatles this and Beatles that, every day, a song, a mention of one of them, a joke reference, biographies, etc. and it wasn't even a Beatles related period, no anniversaries or anything.

This is the kind of thing I always called, after most notably Jung's explanation, Synchronicity, or in a more mystic mindset, an omen, or some sort of validation or encouragement from the Universe of some idea I have had, a question, a wondering, like a pat on the back and "you're on the right track" kind of thing.

The more wet blanket scientific term for this can be listed as either Apophenia, also found here or here, all part of the wider Pareidolia. So take your pick I guess.

Oh and also welcome to the forum. =)

Edited by Paranormalcy

When I was younger I used to believe there was significance to these sorts of things. As I time moved on I realized that due to the large amount of data we take in everyday if you look hard enough you will always find some sort of pattern out of apparent chaos. Once you are aware of some coincidence your mind will seek out further patterns that support your original pattern. The most obvious one occurred to me several times, not very mystical but easily explained. I was interested in buying a scooter (Vespa type scooter, not a mobility one :D) suddenly I noticed every scooter everywhere I went. They were there all along, it was only when I began to focus on the idea of owning one that my senses picked up and I actually subconsciously started looking for them. No mystery. Be careful with obsessions though. Not to sound alarms, but even simple obsessions can turn into, or are indicators of, serious health problems. An acquaintance of mine had an obsession with all thing Sinead O'Conner. Apparently it was an early indicator of schizophrenia. Eventually he killed himself while living with his brother. Not trying to frighten anyone, but sometimes I think people try and put a paranormal bent on potentially dangerous mental conditions. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

After long years of being a skeptic by now I have arrived at the conviction that there is a reason for everything, that includes you bumping into 313 all the time. However, noone here can tell you for sure what it mean for you, only you. Maybe you should ask your higher self, maybe in meditation?

I've lurked here for quite some time now, and yesterday, I decided I needed to make this post (today, right now has been my first opportunity to do so).

I realize some of you may be skeptical, but what's happening can be corroborated by others if needed. I am not a superstitious man either, I am quite the opposite.

Yet, for several years now, the number sequence "313" has jumped out at me on countless occasions. At first, I thought it was funny because I just assumed it was because it is the date of my birth (March 13th), so obviously I'd notice it. However, in recent months, it has gotten stronger. Believe it or not, at this point, I see the numbers once or twice every single day.

this is where all the boring coincidences were[/size]

I feel like I'm living the film, "The Number 23", or LOST.

Does anyone else have this experience with this number? Does anyone know anything about the number or know what all this means? ANY KIND OF HELP would be appreciated greatly.

listen your seeking out 3/4 of the 313's and the res are co incidental like me waking up 4 times a night in the month of February each year for about 3 nights or the way i see remember certain things when i accidentally randomly see certain things it would be paranormal if someone came to kill you on a day dated with those numbers but most of this is coming from your research and you overreacting post this again if someone drinks 313 beers and vomits on you and proposes to you.

seriously this may send you to a mental hospital or a jail

Welcome to the forum! You've obviously reflected on this a great deal and I must say there are some intriguing coicidences or synchronocities. My girl got me into 11:11 and synchs. The way I look at it it is your mind (along with the universal mind) prompting you to follow your intuiton. 11:11 is linked with change but it is up to our discretion what we do with the change and how it affects us. We are in control of our lives not the numbers. However, they can be insightful. I'm not an expert on numerology but the enneagram ( 9 types of personality) does seem to fit with life numbers or whatever they are called. Basically all the numbers in your dob added together until you have a single digit remaining e.g. 12/04/1981 12+4+1981 = 1997 = 1+9+9+7 = 26 = 2+6 = 8 = number 8 personality type is a leader or something. It's not guaranteed but may apply to some particularly sensitive types. I registered for a free numerology reading from the top search and I was amazed by the accuracy of the free reading. Not enough to make me part with cash but it did give me a little boost.

One warning though is that numerology seems to originate from Babylon. They were into some pretty dark stuff so getting obssessed is no good thing. Take any positives you can find. If you see 313, my advice is don't get distracted but focus on what you are doing and follow your intuition.

Nice discussion all.

Hey Three-Thirteen:

There is a phenomenon called "cluster effect" where some infrequent thing is said to be observed in bursts or clusters.

For instance, you may go six months without seeing a 1965 quarter, but then you see three of them in two days.

If you see a "shutout" in the NFL on a given weekend, the chances are high that you will see another one.

Redheads come along in groups.

Or anyway, that's what the "cluster effect" proposes.

Supposing that cluster effect is real, you are just seeing an unusual cluster of the number 313 at this time, and we can predict that the frequency will taper off sharply very soon, if it hasn't already. And if the effect is real, it will be awhile before you stumble across 313 again. But when you do, another 313 will come along soon.

A somewhat different theory is a variation on apophenia, as suggested by Paranormalcy. It's called the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. You can put on a blindfold and have somebody point you in the general direction of a barn, and then take a gun and spray bullets at it. Then you take off the blindfold, walk over to the barn, and draw a circle around your shot group. All the bullets are in the circle! So you are a sharpshooter!

Well, no. Because you didn't predict where the bullets would go. They went any which way, and then you drew a circle around them and called it your bullseye. There is a pattern, yes, but you only apprehend it after the fact.

Could be the same thing here. There is nothing to predict that 313 in particular is the number you would notice frequently. There is nothing to say why, where, or when. You have no theory or principle that even predicts that the recurring thing you notice will be a number! It could be that all of a sudden there are lots of women named Dawn around, or you notice missing fire extinguishers wherever you go, or you get three flat tires in a week. The apparent pattern could be literally anything.

With all the information available to our senses on a daily basis, it is nearly inevitable that some seemingly unlikely pattern WILL emerge. Let me say that again. It is always HIGHLY LIKELY that we can pick out some highly unlikely pattern in a very large, heterogeneous data set.

The trick is, you can't predict WHICH thing will fall into what pattern, where, or when. :)

Without that sort of theory behind it, I mean unless you have some reason you predicted 313 would pop up like this, it is meaningless.

Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy.

Or perhaps Cluster Effect.

okay this is kind of freaky, my sis has been having the same thing happen to her for about 6 years now. Clocks stop at 313, wakes up in the middle of the night at 313 or even in when napping during the day. Some things she cant even control so its not like she's looking for it. Both of her car numbers, ID numbers, certificates and documents have it. She just cant explain it. She gets creeped out by it because she doesnt know if its a good sign or a bad omen.

okay this is kind of freaky, my sis has been having the same thing happen to her for about 6 years now. Clocks stop at 313, wakes up in the middle of the night at 313 or even in when napping during the day. Some things she cant even control so its not like she's looking for it. Both of her car numbers, ID numbers, certificates and documents have it. She just cant explain it. She gets creeped out by it because she doesnt know if its a good sign or a bad omen.

We interpret signs whichever way we choose. It just depends on how we've been conditioned. Our conditioning can change though. If you look for significance too deeply you can be led a very merry dance. A nod or a wink to nature or G*d is better than causing yourself anxiety and grief over what it could mean.

Three Thirteen and Brite Yellow,

hey i think everyone has a personal number... i partially do believe in numerology

for example i was born on 01.08.1988. A friend numerologist once told me my number is logically 8. I was amazed when i noticed that, when the date numbers' total is 8 (3 times a month - on 8th, 17th, 26th), i do really well in school and with girls lol (communication). Hope this helps

Nobody is trying to tell you anything, take comfort in the fact that all the numbers you see that are NOT 313, try to hang in there because it seems like you're possibly going off the deep end on this one.

I suggest you start using a 24 hour military time kind of watch, and stop actually looking up 313, like the constantine fact or the other stuff that appeared in your list of appearances. You're clearly searching them out and while it is not my place to judge, it seems like you are obsessing pretty heavily over this now, which can do uncomfortable things to the mind. Remember that they're just digits who are bound to appear now and then.

Also, is there any reason why anoyne would try to tell you specifically some message, and why choose the method of conveying said message, by prodding you towards a breakdown? And if that was the purpose of all this, who would want to do this and why?

I think maybe you should try to contact some psychologist or another person who is qualified in the field of counseling of people with obsessions, they can probably offer some good insights on the subject.

I don't mean any of this harshly, I hope you understand that.

The way I look at it is our whole society is based on numbers.

When thats the case of course patterns will crop up which might spook us if we cant immediately see the rational process that led to it happening.

Hey, to Esoteric Toad, elemental bender, and SlimJim22: Sod off. I'm not interested in hearing your sarcastic patronizing comments. Coming here, I knew full-well that I'd get these kind of comments... so maybe I shouldn't be angry. Still, that doesn't excuse it. Trying to convince me I have a serious mental disorder? You don't know me, you don't know anything. Friends of mine have been around when I experience this, and as I said they can corroborate this.

I appreciate those of you who are legitimately trying to help, not acting like some know-it-alls who thinks he knows everything. This is the problem with society... 100% of people think they know more than they actually do, but what I do know, is that no one actually really knows anything about anything.

My experience with this number simply isn't something that I'm hallucinating; I wake up at that time. I randomly look at the clock at that time. I was born on that day. It appears right in front of my face almost every day, it's not like I look for it at all. In fact, I've been trying to avoid it for several months now.

Has it occurred to any of you sarcastic punks that maybe there's something legitimate to this? For a forum called "Metaphysics & Psychic Phenomena", I wasn't expecting a group with such scientific loyalty. Maybe coming on these forums to make fun of us who believe in this kind of thing is how you get off, I don't know. Or maybe you're jealous that you never experience anything significant in your life? I'm sorry, but that's not our problem.

Me: "Is someone trying to tell me something?"

Ranyhyn: "No one is trying to tell you anything."

What a relief. I'd never thought of it that way. :rolleyes:

Maybe coming on these forums to make fun of us who believe in this kind of thing is how you get off, I don't know....

haha :) totally i must add..... hey but lets all be civilized

Has it occurred to any of you sarcastic punks that maybe there's something legitimate to this? For a forum called "Metaphysics & Psychic Phenomena", I wasn't expecting a group with such scientific loyalty. Maybe coming on these forums to make fun of us who believe in this kind of thing is how you get off, I don't know. Or maybe you're jealous that you never experience anything significant in your life? I'm sorry, but that's not our problem.

Me: "Is someone trying to tell me something?"

Ranyhyn: "No one is trying to tell you anything."

What a relief. I'd never thought of it that way. :rolleyes:

Sigh..

It's as simple as this; every day you get bombarded with information from all areas, and your fascination with stuff like the number sequence in lost, and the 23 enigma has made you look for patterns relating to you, so you lock on to anything matching your birthdate and take notice of that, disregarding all the other information you see.

For instance I'm born 29 / 09 / 1988 which means i could focus on '88 and say "HOOLY **** IM ADDICTED TO COCA COLA AND THERES 8 LETTERS IN COCA COLA THIS IS MIND CONTROL YOU GUISE!" I could say "my god ive been eating dinner at 20:00 for the past year, and 20:00 is 8 PM!

Or maybe im eating a pretzel and I think to myself, my god i have two pretzels and theyre both shaped like an 8! This is a message for me!

Except I don't think like that, because while I may be arrogant, I am not arrogant enough to think that I am so special that the universe arranges matters to send cryptic messages about my birthdate, meant for me and me alone. Especially when possibly millions of people share the same date.

Hey, to Esoteric Toad, elemental bender, and SlimJim22: Sod off. I'm not interested in hearing your sarcastic patronizing comments.

I enjoy a bracing gust of forthrightness, especially when somebody else gets it. :D

I appreciate those of you who are legitimately trying to help, not acting like some know-it-alls who thinks he knows everything. This is the problem with society... 100% of people think they know more than they actually do, but what I do know, is that no one actually really knows anything about anything.

Well I hope you include me in the group of really-trying-to-helps.

Of the two explanations I offered, one only appears mysterious, but the other actually is mysterious.

Texas Sharpshooter seems mysterious until you realize what's happened.

Cluster Effect really is mysterious. It hints that natural phenomena could be linked not only by causation but by meaning. And to a materialistic culture such as ours, that is pretty darned weird.

So there could be something odd at play. I wouldn't deny that right off the bat, because unlike some people we know, I can tolerate a bit of ambiguity in my life. :D

What I am not seeing at present is what you ask in the subject line, viz: that someone is trying to tell you something.

I cannot discern a message in a freaky cluster of 313s.

I am impressed by all the neat things you noticed about the number, but I still can't see a message.

To me a message is something like, "hello, I am alive and well." Or "you should volunteer to help the homeless."

I don't know that what you have here implies a message, or a sender of a message who is trying to tell you something.

But you might still infer something fantastic from it, which is that causally unrelated events might be related by meaning in such a way that they co-occur in spacetime. Again, this would hint at a surprising kind of deep structure to the natural world. This is what Jung noticed and called synchronicity.

Anyway, one thing I say to look out for is a steep decline in the frequency of 313 in your life. Then a relatively long period of no 313, then more 313s in relatively short bursts. If you observe such a pattern, it suggests that we're talking Cluster Effect, which, as I said, is pretty weird.

Bah, its a dicussion forum. It is a fact that people who become obsessive about these sorts of things COULD have a serious medical condition. If you believe otherwise that is fine. The problem with these sorts of discussions is peoples refusal to recognize that there can be very real, non-paranormal reasons to seemingly mysterious events. Some of them can be made worse by NOT entertaining the mundane... I could give a hoot about what it is you are experiencing, I do not know you...just thought I would let others know the very real world possiblility. Incidentally, the condition I described ALSO causes the person suffering from it to not recognize it themselves.... Have a wonderful supernatural special day.

Edited to add, I am not saying anyone is suffering from anything, but for those that might be interested, here are a few links to show just how strange the human mind is with regards to mental disorders:Cotard, Persecutory, Fregoli and Capgras. I've put these up to illustrate that our brains are capable of distorting reality in the most bizarre ways but with some consistancies from person to person (if that made sense). Again, I am not trying to say that ANYONE suffers from any of these things, just trying to make a point that what's in our noggins is complex and capable of decieving us in truly strange ways.

Edited by Esoteric Toad

How's about Commitee of 300 plus 13 illuminati families? Spooky eh? Not really...

• 9 years later...

For years I woke up at 3.33, it seemed every time I looked I looked at the clock it was the same time and 333 just kept turning up. Then i got Ill,  very I'll. I was diagnosed with Cushings Disease.  A tumor on my Pituitary gland. It causes to much cortisol to be made in the body. I had 10 times the amount needed.  This steroid is our fight or flight hormone and increases and decreases during day. 3.33 is about the time in the morning our bodies makes extra to start the wake up process.  I know so many others with this condition that also wake up this time. Now I'm in remission and never wake up at this time as I no longer produce cortisol. It just goes to show, you should listen to your body.

• Like 1