Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran Confiscates U.K. Military Vessels

DC09

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran confiscated three British military vessels Monday and arrested eight armed crew members, state television reported.

The three British ships entered Iranian territorial waters not far from the Iran-Iraq border, the Arabic language Al-Alam television reported.

"Iranian forces confiscated the ships and eight military personnel on board," the report said.

The television report said crew members were carrying maps and weapons. It also said the ships were confiscated at about 11 a.m. between the Bahmanshir and Arvand rivers, which would put them in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway east of the Iraqi city of Faw. The broadcast gave no further details.

In London, the Ministry of Defense said it was investigating the report but did not know if it was true.

The ministry said there were no British warships operating in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway but some smaller vessels were there.

"We are assisting the Iraqi water police there so it may be one of those vessels," a spokesman said on condition of anonymity. "We don't know."

The Foreign Office said British diplomats in Tehran had been in contact with the Iranian government but it was still unclear what had happened.

Iranian-British relations have been strained in recent days, since London helped draft a resolution at the International Atomic Energy Agency's board of governors meeting last week in Vienna that rebuked Iran for past nuclear cover-ups. Iran accused Britain of caving in to U.S. pressure.

Article

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stamford

• Babs

• wunarmdscissor

• Fenris

They wheren't ships, they where small patrol boats who apparently had strayed over into Iranian waters (We have personell over in the area training Iraqies so they can mount their own coastgards etc.)

Doesn't look like its going to be a big deal, its expected the men will be handed over once its clear they where not on some sort of covert mission.

Map reading and navigation courses needed for all of them tongue.gif

Doesn't look like its going to be a big deal, its expected the men will be handed over once its clear they where not on some sort of covert mission.

That's of course as long as they wern't SBS on a mission, in which case there could be some problems.

Fingers crossed.

That's of course as long as they wern't SBS on a mission, in which case there could be some problems.

Fingers crossed.

I'd think that very unlikely at this point in time, there will probably be some feet dragging and political one-upmanship put I expect this storm in a teacup to be resolved within a day or two at most.

Guest Lottie

Lets hope so. There are British Troops on the South Iraq boarder at the moment would that not cause some tension?

It looks like fenris is right , theyve started saber rattling , talking about how they are gonna charge the troops.

However i doubt they have the balls to take on the coalition face first, its one thing making politically threatenin statements and an entirely other arresting trrops that are parrt of the most powerful coalition on the planet.

Hopefully just a storm in a teacup as fenris says.

If they attempt to charge them i say we go in an get em. After theyre shenanigans at the embassy in London time to give em some of their own medicine.

This is upsetting. Those fellas look scared.

BTW, I am confused wun:

If they attempt to charge them i say we go in and get em.

Aren't you against this sort of thing?

LOL no you just havent bothered to read any of my previous posts on the war.

You have believed me to be an anti-war liberal , no matter what i say to the contrary.

because i have a far more broadminded apporaoch to the situation means it make it impossible for me to treat every situation in black and white.

I postsed that i was firmly behind the war before it started.

Im not goin to go into the details.

Just read my posts.

It was reported today that the soldiers have been released without charge and are on there way home. thumbsup.gif

As for the whereabouts of there boats, I've no idea. whistling2.gif

Looks like Iran now have a naval fleet. grin2.gifwink2.gif

Looks like Iran now have a naval fleet.

I think we can spare them grin2.gif

It's good to know that they are being freed, but I never thought anything too serious was going to happen to them.

In many respects I am not surprised. Iran were bound to weant to draw a line in the sand at some point. There has been a lot of talk about Iran and the war on terror. This has been as good a demonstration as any that the Iranians wish to both retain their 'independence' but are also willing to co-operate with the international community that has black listed them for so long.

This has been as good a demonstration as any that the Iranians wish to both retain their 'independence' but are also willing to co-operate with the international community that has black listed them for so long.

you mean just like them telling the UN to p*** off when it comes to nukes:)

I don't want Iraq to have a fleet of anything. ph34r.gifcrying.gif

I don't want Iraq to have a fleet of anything.

I doubt that a couple of boats that are little more than dingys are going to be too much of a worry.

I don't want Iraq to have a fleet of anything.

Babs, honey, I think you will find that it is Iran that has the boats and not Iraq. blink.gif

And what Stamford says is right, they are merely dingys and used only for patrolling large rivers and lakes. If they were intending on using them to mount a Naval attack..... in your own words I'd say "bring it on". w00t.gif

Edited by gollum

I must have Iraq on the brain laugh.gif You know, I thought I heard it was a few small boats, but when you said 'fleet', I got a little concerned. I see, it was humorous, now. original.gif Sorry.