Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat Earth Society still going strong

UM-Bot

Pfft. Everyone knows that the Earth is a flat disc blanced on the back of 4 elephants, which are standing on a giant turtle :yes:

Is this society based in the Unseen University I wonder?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• War Eagle

• Mattshark

• ShadowSot

• Ashtarel

".......I don't believe in man-made climate change...." previous post

Sure, there are all those rednecks running around with their night vision camera's and their EM detectors that "prove" ghosts exist. Why wouldn't you believe in a flat earth with the "logic" you just betrayed? In fact, why wouldn't most people who reply to this website's forums believe in a flat earth? Is it so much more fanciful than ghostly encounters, alien abductions, or communing with Bigfoot? Why would any of you think that a few satellite photo's are proof when you think the moon landing photo's are either faked or doctored? For that matter, despite Air Force details regarding Roswell, you all seem to think that the whole thing is a "cover-up", more fabricated evidence. How easy would it be to fake a spherical earth?

Perhaps all the space shuttle missions are done in Hollywood, or no, better yet, the same Area 51 set that the moon landings were staged. I bet the International Space Station is just one big set in a secret location in West Hollywood! Is it so inconceivable that every meteorologist, astronomer, geologist,etc. on the planet is a co-conspirator in the round earth hoax but somehow the notion that all the university studies, all the private institutions, and government institutions like the NOAA, USGS, NASA, and all the various international governmental counterparts amounting to the 1000's that have released climate change data to verify the existence of such phenomena are part of an elaborate hoax? It would have been easier to fake the moon landings and convince all the sub-contractors, primary contractors, the army of office support staff with all the various vendors, and of course the astronauts themselves and their friends and family than the collective agents involved in climate research who submit a man-made thesis behind climate change. That number would far eclipse those involved with the moon landings.

All the Flat Earth society people demonstrate is the same engine behind the "beliefs" that people have on this entire Unexplained Mysteries website. That engine is simple to define; a lack of sufficient, contrary evidence to the satisfaction of the para-normal enthusiast or a lack of knowledge in a certain area is adequate space for a flight of fancy. It is no more difficult to sit here and confabulate 'reasons' that the earth is truly flat and all provided evidence to the contrary is hoaxed or errant than it is to show that evidence or at least empirical data disproving long held, beloved, "acceptable" paranormal beliefs are equally faked or fabricated and that UFO's, Monsters, Ghosts, Life after Death, etc. are in fact true.

We live in a society where more people believe that mankind was made out of mud in the space of a day than evolution. There, to my knowledge, has never been one biological science discovery made on the notion that man is a seperate and distinct entity from the universe, or at least the biosphere that we inhabit as creationism would imply. The simple similarity in the internal mechanisms of biological entities on this planet would seem to dispel any notions of man being made seperate and distinct from nature. But guess what? There are "creationist" study groups and even a museum. There is also a UFO museum and there are multiple study groups regarding that fanciful phenomona as well. Both groups have cultivated equal amounts of "evidence" to support their "theories". To date, none.

What I am ever amazed at, is the lack of reason, or at least logic that some elements in society uphold and I think this is a sad testament to our poor educational system. Hiding behind the mantra that people like myself, so-called skeptics are just "closed minded", many people hold on to absurd and embarrasing ideas. There is a certain logical philosophy called the scientific method which involves a theory, an experiment, and findings that either support the endeavoring theory or not. It is the basis of the modern world from jet planes to ipods. If one thinks about it, there is really no room for the Bigfoot and a gorilla to coexist in the same reality. In both instances, reports of the creature stimulated an organized, methodical search and in the case of the gorilla, the target was found using 18th century technology. In the case of Bigfoot (or any other paranormal fancy you wish to insert here) we can't even detect the proposed with 21st century technology. Despite what must amount to 10's of thousands of wildlife tracking camera's in the deep woods, no pictures of Bigfoot ever turn up (or at least one's that don't look like a guy in a poor quality ape suit). And yet, there are those determined Loren Coleman's of the world that have a perfectly "reasonable" answer as to how this could be.

There is nothing more comical than watching the absurd, criticize the notions of fellow absurdees.

That last is a circular reference. hahaha Love it!!! :lol:

"The simple similarity in the internal mechanisms of biological entities on this planet would seem to dispel any notions of man being made seperate and distinct from nature." <--- KugelBlitz

Wow, see I could have sworn we were seperate and distinct from nature seeing as how we are the ONLY ONES WHO PURPOSEFULLY CHANGE IT. We live in cities we build to SEPERATE ourselves from nature. We certainly are a very unique species here on earth, and it is EASY to see why uneducated people 3000 years ago understood this. However, with their limited grasp of how the world works, they attributed it to, you geussed it, a diety.

"In the case of Bigfoot (or any other paranormal fancy you wish to insert here) we can't even detect the proposed with 21st century technology. Despite what must amount to 10's of thousands of wildlife tracking camera's in the deep woods, no pictures of Bigfoot ever turn up (or at least one's that don't look like a guy in a poor quality ape suit). And yet, there are those determined Loren Coleman's of the world that have a perfectly "reasonable" answer as to how this could be." <--- KugelBlitz

Where are these "10'000" cameras you speak of? First off, I personally do not believe in bigfoot, but your point here is just stupid. Damn near everyone who believes in bigfoot or researches it is hugely underfunded.

"It would have been easier to fake the moon landings and convince all the sub-contractors, primary contractors, the army of office support staff with all the various vendors, and of course the astronauts themselves and their friends and family than the collective agents involved in climate research who submit a man-made thesis behind climate change." <--- KugelBlitz

Your rant started by someone saying this: ".......I don't believe in man-made climate change...." Wow, I see one person not believing in man-made climate change is really one of your hot buttons, eh? First of all, I think its funny how you think that just because someone does not believe in climate change, they automatically think its a huge conspiracy, that it has to be a hoax put on by someone. You should know, seeing as how you are showing us a leading example here, that people can be wrong. People 600 years ago believed that the earth was flat, and saying it was round would sound just as absurd today as people now saying the world is flat. They were not CONSPIRING to try to trick everyone, they were just a little stupid. Same thing with climate change. You HAVE been following the recent events that have turned Al Gore into a pariyah, and how many scientists are now switching their beliefs about the causes of global warming, right? Oh wait, you were probably sitting here trying to use every difficult word in your little vocabulary to slop together a rant with absolutely no point.

"There is nothing more comical than watching the absurd, criticize the notions of fellow absurdees."

Your last quote i find hypocritically hilarious, although you are not absurd, just a fool.

Is this society based in the Unseen University I wonder?

Maybe it was all started by the Librarian? :D

"The simple similarity in the internal mechanisms of biological entities on this planet would seem to dispel any notions of man being made seperate and distinct from nature." <--- KugelBlitz

Wow, see I could have sworn we were seperate and distinct from nature seeing as how we are the ONLY ONES WHO PURPOSEFULLY CHANGE IT. We live in cities we build to SEPERATE ourselves from nature. We certainly are a very unique species here on earth, and it is EASY to see why uneducated people 3000 years ago understood this. However, with their limited grasp of how the world works, they attributed it to, you geussed it, a diety.

I think you misunderstand what he is saying. Yes, we are a separate species, but it is because we choose to separate outselves. If you look at the world biologically, we are no different than animals. We breathe, eat, need water, reproduce, have hearts, brains, blood, and have survival instincts that have been honed by generations of evolution. The only thing that is different is our level of intelligence. We choose to separate ourselves because of this. So, biologically speaking, we were not "created" as a separate entity from animal. We are simply smart animals ourselves.

"In the case of Bigfoot (or any other paranormal fancy you wish to insert here) we can't even detect the proposed with 21st century technology. Despite what must amount to 10's of thousands of wildlife tracking camera's in the deep woods, no pictures of Bigfoot ever turn up (or at least one's that don't look like a guy in a poor quality ape suit). And yet, there are those determined Loren Coleman's of the world that have a perfectly "reasonable" answer as to how this could be." <--- KugelBlitz

Where are these "10'000" cameras you speak of? First off, I personally do not believe in bigfoot, but your point here is just stupid. Damn near everyone who believes in bigfoot or researches it is hugely underfunded.

I think his point here is that there are thousands of people who look for bigfoot, 24/7, and even with our modern technology, have still been unable to capture any solid evidence. Yes, most expeditions are underfunded. However, I think shear quantity of minor expeditions should have turned up something by now.

"It would have been easier to fake the moon landings and convince all the sub-contractors, primary contractors, the army of office support staff with all the various vendors, and of course the astronauts themselves and their friends and family than the collective agents involved in climate research who submit a man-made thesis behind climate change." <--- KugelBlitz

Your rant started by someone saying this: ".......I don't believe in man-made climate change...." Wow, I see one person not believing in man-made climate change is really one of your hot buttons, eh? First of all, I think its funny how you think that just because someone does not believe in climate change, they automatically think its a huge conspiracy, that it has to be a hoax put on by someone. You should know, seeing as how you are showing us a leading example here, that people can be wrong. People 600 years ago believed that the earth was flat, and saying it was round would sound just as absurd today as people now saying the world is flat. They were not CONSPIRING to try to trick everyone, they were just a little stupid. Same thing with climate change. You HAVE been following the recent events that have turned Al Gore into a pariyah, and how many scientists are now switching their beliefs about the causes of global warming, right? Oh wait, you were probably sitting here trying to use every difficult word in your little vocabulary to slop together a rant with absolutely no point.

"There is nothing more comical than watching the absurd, criticize the notions of fellow absurdees."

Your last quote i find hypocritically hilarious, although you are not absurd, just a fool.

This poster is far from a fool. His points are well thought out, logical, and use good examples to back up his thinking. If you do not understand his point, why does that make him the fool??

Do we have any Flat Earthers on UM at all? Be interesting to hear their side of it.

Sure, there are all those rednecks running around with their night vision camera's and their EM detectors that "prove" ghosts exist. Why wouldn't you believe in a flat earth with the "logic" you just betrayed? In fact, why wouldn't most people who reply to this website's forums believe in a flat earth? Is it so much more fanciful than ghostly encounters, alien abductions, or communing with Bigfoot? Why would any of you think that a few satellite photo's are proof when you think the moon landing photo's are either faked or doctored? For that matter, despite Air Force details regarding Roswell, you all seem to think that the whole thing is a "cover-up", more fabricated evidence. How easy would it be to fake a spherical earth?

Perhaps all the space shuttle missions are done in Hollywood, or no, better yet, the same Area 51 set that the moon landings were staged. I bet the International Space Station is just one big set in a secret location in West Hollywood! Is it so inconceivable that every meteorologist, astronomer, geologist,etc. on the planet is a co-conspirator in the round earth hoax but somehow the notion that all the university studies, all the private institutions, and government institutions like the NOAA, USGS, NASA, and all the various international governmental counterparts amounting to the 1000's that have released climate change data to verify the existence of such phenomena are part of an elaborate hoax? It would have been easier to fake the moon landings and convince all the sub-contractors, primary contractors, the army of office support staff with all the various vendors, and of course the astronauts themselves and their friends and family than the collective agents involved in climate research who submit a man-made thesis behind climate change. That number would far eclipse those involved with the moon landings.

All the Flat Earth society people demonstrate is the same engine behind the "beliefs" that people have on this entire Unexplained Mysteries website. That engine is simple to define; a lack of sufficient, contrary evidence to the satisfaction of the para-normal enthusiast or a lack of knowledge in a certain area is adequate space for a flight of fancy. It is no more difficult to sit here and confabulate 'reasons' that the earth is truly flat and all provided evidence to the contrary is hoaxed or errant than it is to show that evidence or at least empirical data disproving long held, beloved, "acceptable" paranormal beliefs are equally faked or fabricated and that UFO's, Monsters, Ghosts, Life after Death, etc. are in fact true.

We live in a society where more people believe that mankind was made out of mud in the space of a day than evolution. There, to my knowledge, has never been one biological science discovery made on the notion that man is a seperate and distinct entity from the universe, or at least the biosphere that we inhabit as creationism would imply. The simple similarity in the internal mechanisms of biological entities on this planet would seem to dispel any notions of man being made seperate and distinct from nature. But guess what? There are "creationist" study groups and even a museum. There is also a UFO museum and there are multiple study groups regarding that fanciful phenomona as well. Both groups have cultivated equal amounts of "evidence" to support their "theories". To date, none.

What I am ever amazed at, is the lack of reason, or at least logic that some elements in society uphold and I think this is a sad testament to our poor educational system. Hiding behind the mantra that people like myself, so-called skeptics are just "closed minded", many people hold on to absurd and embarrasing ideas. There is a certain logical philosophy called the scientific method which involves a theory, an experiment, and findings that either support the endeavoring theory or not. It is the basis of the modern world from jet planes to ipods. If one thinks about it, there is really no room for the Bigfoot and a gorilla to coexist in the same reality. In both instances, reports of the creature stimulated an organized, methodical search and in the case of the gorilla, the target was found using 18th century technology. In the case of Bigfoot (or any other paranormal fancy you wish to insert here) we can't even detect the proposed with 21st century technology. Despite what must amount to 10's of thousands of wildlife tracking camera's in the deep woods, no pictures of Bigfoot ever turn up (or at least one's that don't look like a guy in a poor quality ape suit). And yet, there are those determined Loren Coleman's of the world that have a perfectly "reasonable" answer as to how this could be.

There is nothing more comical than watching the absurd, criticize the notions of fellow absurdees.

Best. Response.Ever

So the whole "boat gradually disapearing due to the curve of the Earth" as it leaves the harbor, is just a optical illusion, then.

Apparently to them!

I have to agree with you. The disapearing boat should be 100% evidence.

"As the new president of the Flat Earth Society, you'd imagine he would also think that evolution is a scam and ­global warming a myth."

...uh, whoever wrote that article apparently isn't so up-to-date on what a lot of people think. Evolution is not true to creationists, and I for one don't believe in global warming (at least not man-made global warming). Really bad examples there for such foolish people.

I wonder what they say to people who have traveled the world and back. Do they just say "You're lying." and then assume that for everyone? Do they assume everyone is lying that has gone somewhere? Satellite photos are a giant conspiracy theory? And even then, if the world was flat, gravity would still keep us on the ground and we wouldn't fall off of anything in a plane. Boats though, they would have a rough transition from one side to the next.

Not in terms of science they are not, they are both very well evidenced and supported.

No.

Skepticisim is waiting for evidence to prove otherwise.

THis would be more believer than skeptic.

Exactly, some people have a very distorted view of what scepticism is.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm pretty sure the Society as a whole is a joke, like a literal joke, I don't think anyone's that dumb, and even if they are 3, 000 people out of a couple billion isn't a lot.

Funny Anecdote: When I first typed that I posted it not only in the wrong topic and subforum but the wrong website :lol:

POTY Nominee

Interesting.... Flat Earth Society, just go ahead and ignore every image of Earth that's been taken from space so far, because that's obviously not enough proof. You guys are cool. lol

This entire thing hurts my brain. How can you be that stupid?

It's quite sad that people can go from talking about Flat Earth Society to bashing people who believe in Bigfoot. Bravo.

Skepticism at it's best. Not even being faced with truth and evidence will convince them otherwise.

If that surprises you you haven't read a newspaper lately.

Maybe it was all started by the Librarian? :D

Yes your correct, and all this climate change talk? If the world is flat then we have nothing to worry about except for falling off the edge! Ops I believe they have...

The Flat Earth society? Are they like the illuminate or something?

Illuminuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Regaurding the flat earth theory compared to the things many others believe, it is mean't to say that one belief is real while the other isn't(flat earth vs. round earth) this is something that can actually be proven or disproven either way meanwhile the other "absurdities" that you mention cannot logically be disproven.

Take ghosts for example if real but elusive it still has the possiblity of being proven but real or not cannot in either way be disproven because you can't disprove something by not finding ghosts.

Also it is not an established fact that some of those things such as ghostly encounters or alien abductions are untrue which is the case with the flat earth idea which has been disproven by walking of the edge of the earth to find yourself still safely on earth

As for you saying that all believers always deny the facts or say that they're lies or conspiracies, its true that it sometimes happens but don't go mass applying stereotypes to people you likely don't even know.