Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Called by 000-000-0000

Disembodied Voice

Has anyone ever been called by a 000-000-0000 number? It's called me a few times all everytime I answer its either static or it hangs up. I was just wondering if anyone else has been called by that number and what it is or who it is. A hacker or something? A glitch or what?

Whenever I get calls from Skype to my cell phone, the number is always an odd 6- or 7-digit number. And those calls often have heavy static, especially at the beginning of the call. I've also noticed that auto-dial calls for political campaigns often have all 0's or maybe 000-000-000x (where x is an integer).

It's probably just an auto-dialer that blocks or corrupts caller ID. If you are in the US, enter your phone in the Federal Do Not Call List. Then wait a few weeks and I bet you the "mystery" calls go away.

Has anyone ever been called by a 000-000-0000 number? It's called me a few times all everytime I answer its either static or it hangs up. I was just wondering if anyone else has been called by that number and what it is or who it is. A hacker or something? A glitch or what?

I have never been called by that number, however my husband used a program for his job where you dial an 800 number and for a fee you dial the number that you want to show up on the caller id of the next person you call. There is a fee to do this so it does not seem rational for a prank caller to do repetitivly.

yeah they have called me before too. think its just auto-dial for something. also keep getting "unknown number" calling the house as well. silence mostly. very annoying. gggrrrrr!

with the right software its easy to disguise you number, probably just a broken telemarketing autocaller we had a spate of them at work recently coming in with a number 4 digits too long

That number had popped up on my phone a few times before when Blockbuster Video called to tell me the movies I rented were overdue ^_^

Probably phreakers.

Phone hackers that is.

I'll tell ya exactly what it is... it's telemarketers who have gone into their phone dialing software and find a way to set the CLIR (Caller Line Identity Restriction) from 'null" to "000-000-0000" which will set outbound caller-id to an acutal number more or less.

They do this so that people who have automatic anonomous call rejection still get a ring tone, since a number is assigned, it can't be automatically rejected. What I can ever figure out is when when you answer that call, you don't get anyone trying to sell you aluminum siding for your house. It's always just static or a hang-up. The only thing I can figure is that they are verifying that a live person picks up, then they'll call you back with their real number and a live sales person who will stalk you till the end of your days.

My advice is to never answer a 000-000-0000 call... they're likely verifying that the number belongs to a real person, and if you pick it up, you can and will get a call back from some sales person who will try and convince you that their stupid product will be the answer to all your prayers (on your dime since they often call your CELL PHONE).

Edited by MissMelsWell

My advice is to never answer a 000-000-0000 call... they're likely verifying that the number belongs to a real person, and if you pick it up, you can and will get a call back from some sales person who will try and convince you that their stupid product will be the answer to all your prayers (on your dime since they often call your CELL PHONE).

I agree with this - but you should also be careful never to answer this on a cell phone. I answered a 000-000-0000 number once and it was a robocaller soliciting campaign donations. I hung up on it and the next day I discovered that whomever placed that call billed my cell phone for $9.00 a pop - 4 times. It charged my phone every time it went to voice mail. When I called Verizon, they had no record of the caller on their end. I had to change my phone number because "000" kept calling and eating up my phone minutes.

f you receive a call from 1-000-000-0000, realize this: it is a FAKED OUT telephone number (using a technique called SPOOFING).

Anyway, it's not just ONE person/organization calling. It could be anybody. Consequently, there's probably not much point in contributing further to the notes for this # in a vain attempt to figure out who it is.

Have the good sense to just NOT answer it and be done with things. Many people have phone service that allows you to block specific numbers; this would be a good one to add to that list.

I agree with this - but you should also be careful never to answer this on a cell phone. I answered a 000-000-0000 number once and it was a robocaller soliciting campaign donations. I hung up on it and the next day I discovered that whomever placed that call billed my cell phone for $9.00 a pop - 4 times. It charged my phone every time it went to voice mail. When I called Verizon, they had no record of the caller on their end. I had to change my phone number because "000" kept calling and eating up my phone minutes.

I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not (although, since you have Verizon, I'm assuming you are) you should gather your bills showing the charges, and send photocopies of them to your State Attorney General along with a detailed description of what happened, on what dates, and the actions you took when you discoverd the erroneous charges. Not only will Verizon be in trouble for allowing charges from a 000-000-0000 number but the party who placed those calls can be traced and shut down. Verizon has the ability to block 000-000-0000 numbers, and should, but doesn't. Don't believe them when they tell you they have no record of the caller... they do, they charged you for it. They can also find out where it originated from, but won't because that would require them to actually investigate. It's cheaper for them to mitigate by just taking the charges off your bill rather than finding the source of the problem.

What happened to you is TOTALLY illegal, and your State Attorney General should be notified so they can open an investigation. And, depending on what state you're in... it might be illegal for a "robocaller" or even an autodialer to call your phone (cell or land line) at all. I know it's illegal in my state. Yep, it would be a good thing for you to write to your Atty Gen.

f you receive a call from 1-000-000-0000, realize this: it is a FAKED OUT telephone number (using a technique called SPOOFING).

Anyway, it's not just ONE person/organization calling. It could be anybody. Consequently, there's probably not much point in contributing further to the notes for this # in a vain attempt to figure out who it is.

Have the good sense to just NOT answer it and be done with things. Many people have phone service that allows you to block specific numbers; this would be a good one to add to that list.

That's not totally true... the phone company can launch and investigation and can trace the call back to or near its point of origin, however, doing that is expensive and most won't launch an investigation which could cost thousands in man hours... it's cheaper for them to just take the $18 or whatever hit when the problem does come up.

Basically, the message to everyone is: If you don't know the number calling, for pete sake, don't pick it up! Let it go to vox mail. If you find eroneous charges on your cell phone bill from robodialers, photocopy them, write up a detailed report of what happened, and send it to your state atty. general. If they get enough complaints, THEY will launch an investigation.

I probably let 8-10 calls a day I don't know go to my vox mail because I don't know who they are. About 3 of those end up being scams or telemarketers. I'll often look at the number, plug it into Google or Bing and find out information about that number before I make a decision to call back or not. If it's someone like my bank or whatever, I'll add that number to my contacts so next time I do know who it is.

Edited by MissMelsWell

That's not totally true... the phone company can launch and investigation and can trace the call back to or near its point of origin, however, doing that is expensive and most won't launch an investigation which could cost thousands in man hours... it's cheaper for them to just take the $18 or whatever hit when the problem does come up.

Basically, the message to everyone is: If you don't know the number calling, for pete sake, don't pick it up! Let it go to vox mail. If you find eroneous charges on your cell phone bill from robodialers, photocopy them, write up a detailed report of what happened, and send it to your state atty. general. If they get enough complaints, THEY will launch an investigation.

I agree with you 100% that if charges to a cell or landlines are a result that they should be followed up on no matter what company your with. Was just trying to give an example of some of the methods used to make these calls.

Its like the Nigearin email scammers, there are ways to track and end there processes.

Thanks for the advice. :tu:

I never heard anyone call me from that number. Hopefully I won't ever. T.T

Thanks, MMW. I won't pick up the phone if I ever get that number. Don't I can get charged because my cell's a pre-paid one.

Edited by Moon Princess

What happened to you is TOTALLY illegal, and your State Attorney General should be notified so they can open an investigation. And, depending on what state you're in... it might be illegal for a "robocaller" or even an autodialer to call your phone (cell or land line) at all. I know it's illegal in my state. Yep, it would be a good thing for you to write to your Atty Gen.

Thanks for your reply - this same thing had occurred to me, but I was using one of those pay-as-you-go phones at the time (where you buy minutes with your bankcard or boost card), so I never had a mailed bill, per se. I called Verizon several times and viewed my phone number's records online, but the "000" number that called never showed up. The $9.99 was just listed as a flat charge. Verizon thought I ordered a ringtone or downloaded something online (my pay-as-you-go plan included data as well), and so there was no way I could prove it without a paper trail. I changed the number finally, and then got rid of the pay-as-you-go plan a couple of months later. I then got a regular plan set up. There haven't been any more calls like that on my new phone, but just to be sure, I blocked all 1-800 numbers to prevent this from happening again. I normally ignore numbers I don't recognize if they call me, but what got me about this one was that I was charged even though it went to voicemail.

• 2 weeks later...

This literally happened just a moment ago. It was a good job I remembered this thread, or I'd have been worried it was someone sinister doing somthing sinister, such as the authorities.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Yeah there is alot of freeware available for that. Just don't pick up, no one with good intentions would use it.

• Like 1

Yeah. I've never had that phone # come in(000-000-0000) but I have had other weird one's.

Good heads-up on that one, though.

Yes I got this call yesterday 000-000-0000.i did not pick it up I had the ringer off.

Maybe a credit card company

Someone keeps getting 000-000-000 calls in the middle of the night and there's weird static noise, starts to get frightened, could be the beginning of a scary horror movie.

Yes I have, a couple of times. But I dont really remember if it ever had static or just hung up quickly.

I think my hubby also received these strange calls too.

580234_512214805505667_2014337925_n.jpg

If it was meowing on the other end ... its this fella that wants to have a word ...

the cats have reported you to the Intergalactic High Council of Feline Abuse Board

`

• Like 2

There are hearing impaired services for people to make calls via online chat through a 3rd party person speaking. I used this one time for a connection and when I did that my buddy said the operators number showed up at 000-000-0000 and it freaked him out pretty good.