Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists invent hangover-free booze

Still Waters

The dreaded morning-after feeling could be a thing of the past after scientists in Korea came up with a technique that allows drinkers to avoid a hangover.

A team of researchers in South Korea added extra oxygen to drinks and found that the body was then able to metabolise the booze quicker and eliminate the alcohol quicker - cutting down the after effects.

Healthy humans were given 240ml and 360ml drinks containing 19.5% alcohol by volume - all with different amounts of oxygen added.

The results, documented in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, showed those who consumed the more highly oxygenated drinks recovered quicker and saw their blood alcohol levels return to normal more speedily.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• War Eagle

• Codehook

• Mr Mojo Risin

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet they had some awsome parties testing that stuff out :P

Oxygen and alcohol, Is that not Rocket Fuel? :blink:

i say leave it alone...only rookie drinkers don't know how to get over a hangover...drink water and eat something before the partying starts...eat something again when you wake up...drink a Gatorade too, you might be dehydrated, if you have a headache, take something with aspirin....like Bayer. Yes, i love to drink...but i don't get drunk, i just get awesome

Love this....i always wake up with some sort of hangover regardless how much i drink or eat before hand...

Way to go Korea :tu:

AWESOME! :tu: Now EVERYBODY can drink and with NO consequences Yay :D

and i wouldn't go that far....there's always the drunken phone call to a ex girlfriend to worry about..

...or you could not drink alcohol, and have the same hangover free morning...

'bout time :tu:

Party time!!! TGIF! :tu:

:o This is one of the greatest discoveries of the 21 century....

sure but that's no fun....

I drink to make other people more interesting...thats just on a lighter i have :lol:

Well whats the point of removing the bad effects, if they remove the good effects as well.

From the article:

The only down-side the boffins found was that the process also reduced the amount of time drinkers were actually drunk for.

Personally i would just end up drinking a larger amount then. Anyway, i think we should let hangovers be, as much as i hate them, they are also a good reason to drink less. And they are a fitting punishment for all the stupid things we(yes myself included lol)do when drunk.

:o This is one of the greatest discoveries of the 21 century....

My thoughts exactly! They need to get an award for this magnificent discovery!

On the highstreet stores now please.

Aaargh, a day too late for me...

huh? i dont understand this logic... :S

I think the thought of a bad hangover deters most from getting right smashed. This invention might promote more drinking.

I think the thought of a bad hangover deters most from getting right smashed. This invention might promote more drinking.

Exactly what I was thinking.

But if it also shortens the amount of time you're drunk for then it will probably balance out with people who would have done stupid things whilst drunk, not being as drunk (or at all). I don't think people will purposely drink more knowing that they'll not be drunk as long, because firstly you'll still be as drunk, and secondly being drunk seems to last for far too long anyway. Usually when people drink they get to a limit for more reasons than just the hangover, such as worrying about doing something stupid or wanting to at least remember the first hour of the night before.

I certainly think it'll mean more people getting drunk in the first place, though.

Exactly what I was thinking.

But if it also shortens the amount of time you're drunk for then it will probably balance out with people who would have done stupid things whilst drunk, not being as drunk (or at all). I don't think people will purposely drink more knowing that they'll not be drunk as long, because firstly you'll still be as drunk, and secondly being drunk seems to last for far too long anyway. Usually when people drink they get to a limit for more reasons than just the hangover, such as worrying about doing something stupid or wanting to at least remember the first hour of the night before.

I certainly think it'll mean more people getting drunk in the first place, though.

I don't think people will get less drunk or for a shorter time matters much. It just means on a work night you can stay up later drinking longer. Then again personal responsibilty has to play a key role. I like my beer and can drink a fair few all the while knowing the effects. I'm Canadian LOL

I don't think people will get less drunk or for a shorter time matters much. It just means on a work night you can stay up later drinking longer. Then again personal responsibilty has to play a key role. I like my beer and can drink a fair few all the while knowing the effects. I'm Canadian LOL

Ha I'm British, we like our drink here too ;)

We have had binge drinking problems here, what usually tends to happen is that on a Friday or Saturday night people will get tipsy before they come out, and get get absolutely slaughtered when they are out. But they have a limit, and usually stop drinking by 2am (yeah, that early!). So if they had this type of alcohol which burnt off faster, stopped drinking at 2am and went home at 3am or 4am as is the usual, then they wouldn't be as drunk when they come out. I think they'd find it near impossible to drink any more than they already do, hell I think their kidneys would explode.

I hear scientists are steps away from inventing alcohol-free booze.

I hear scientists are steps away from inventing alcohol-free booze.

Sorry blackout, what was that LOL