Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terrorist nuclear threat 'real and imminent'

DC09

The threat of a terrorist attack using nuclear weapons is "real and imminent", the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog said today.

Mohammed al Baradei, chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said it was a "race against time" to prevent terrorists from obtaining nuclear materials.

His words echo repeated warnings by Tony Blair of the danger posed by an alliance between rogue states and terrorist groups such as al Qaeda.

Mr Baradei raised the spectre of terrorists being able to assemble a "dirty bomb". He said there was a real risk of uranium or plutonium falling into the wrong hands.

"We are actually having a race against time which I don't think we can afford," he told the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace conference in Washington. "The danger is so imminent... so the sooner that we start, the better for everybody involved."

In a separate intervention, US Senator Sam Nunn urged President Bush to raise concerns about the safety of nuclear material in Russia when he next meets President Putin.

Article

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• hunterkiller2001

• Montclair

• Stamford

pshhh, he's lying, because anyone who says anything thats even remotely backing up the US is obviously lying, now if he were to say there was no threat and the US was a bunch of liars, he'd be telling the truth.

I have only read the title and bet you anything

1.Bush is the one saying sh**

2.He is saying that you hate america if you dont agree with him

3.we need to invade more arab nations, and slaughter more people.

Bet I hit the nail on the head.

I have only read the title and bet you anything

1.Bush is the one saying sh**

2.He is saying that you hate america if you dont agree with him

3.we need to invade more arab nations, and slaughter more people.

Bet I hit the nail on the head.

1. wrong

2. wrong

3. wrong

if this was a test you'd have failed monkeyboy

read the article before trying to be some kind of smartarse

Sadly, the former Soviet Union is so porous that it can only be a matter of time before nuclear material is smuggled out - what am I saying, it almost certainly has already.

Then of course there is North Korea.

There are, thankfully, problems associated with actually detonating a nuclear device, as well as deploying it.

The easiest option is the so called 'Dirty Bomb', but this has been proven to be highly ineffective (even when deployed on the underground).

Still, not a thought that makes me sleep well at night.

Sweet dreams.

People these are the sign of the times. Ever heard of John Titor, well I don't know if he is a time traveler; However, some of the things he said are coming true? I just read that scientists have teleported the first atom. Well peace be with you all.

When Einstein was shown what the atomic bomb did to hiroshima and learnt that it was his theories they used to create the bomb he said " I wish I had been a carpenter" and i tend to agree nowadays although someonelse would have come up with it eventually.

Its a sad world when people are willing to use nukes and cause so much death and destruction. crying.gif

That atom was teleported about eight years ago. Hardly news

where you hear that?

only in the past few years, the only thing they teleported was light. Teleporting matter is way harder and was probably impossible 8 years ago

That guy is on USA payroll ,how can anyone believe him?

If ever comes to "terrorists" detonating nuclear bomb in our city the "terrorist"

are also on USA payroll.

Teleporting atoms

Has anyone stopped to think about the missing nuclear material missing within US borders?

I read not to long ago that a few powerplants around the US had stated they were missing certain amounts of radioactive material.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1859560.stm

What people are afraid of is a full blown nuke. To propery build a nuke, you need resources and scientists. It's unlikly a terrorist cell could build a nuke.

there are 2 more probable scenarios that could happen.

1. Smuggling in an existing nuke. With the decay of the USSR, hundreds if not thousands of nuke went missing. Some have been tracked down on the black market for around a hundred grand. The KGB designed "backpack nukes" which are the size of a suitcase. It's very likely such a device could be smuggled into the US without anyone knowing.

2. A dirty bomb. What people don't realize is that it only takes a minimal amount of radioactive material, and a few sticks of TNT to make a WMD. While it wouldn't level buildings, or have the shockwaves and EMP's that come with a thermonuclear detonation, it would spew radioactive particles into the air. The Anarchist's Cookbook orignially showed a design consisting of a few stick of TNT surrounding a few grams of nuclear material. Given a detonation at ground level, this could cause radiation sickness in an area approx 1/4 mile across. In an area like NYC, this would cause thousands of cases of severe sickness, and many deaths.

Depending on wind, the effects of a dirty bomb could be much worse.

If the detonation were to happen in the air, it could possibly covering up to a mile in radioactive material. (depending on wind, and altitude)

The threat increases as the amount of material used increases.

IN reply to the John Titor comment... The day they announced on the news they were expecting an attack near november, i re-read everything titor posted.

If an attack comes in the form of a nuke... He'll finally be proven right.

(I just went a re-read everything.. and i realize how "frantic" the post looks, but i'll be damned if I'm going backand retyping all that.)

An attack with Nukes has been 'Real' and 'Imminent' since 1950. That's what the cold war was.

Now it's just changed from being everyone else, to just terrorists.

Same sh**, different ass.

An attack with Nukes has been 'Real' and 'Imminent' since 1950. That's what the cold war was.

Not really, the threat stopped at the end of the cold war.

Besides, with nuclear detection systems...everyone knows seconds after they push the button, a few thousand of our will be in the air.

But these guys... don't care who they kill..

Thats what makes this threat different.

Cmon, we all know, or should know, that the USA will be the country to, if any, use nukes and has the most hatefull and spiteful amount of nuclear weaponry.

Real and imminent danger my ASS.Just like that American puppet Blair told us how

Saddam H was imminent danger to the "civilized world".What a bunch of BS.

Remember people when Iraq invaded Kuwait ,how this young kuwaiti woman told on CNN how Iraqi soldiers threw babys on the floors and stole incubators (She even fooled me)whole world believed it.But that was huge fabrication and lie.

From what I know she was the daughter of Kuwaiti ammbasador to the USA.

******G B***H.Sorry for my language but I just can't stand this Crap. disgust.gif