Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you afraid

soulseeker

Are you afraid  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the world is coming to and end or change etc.

2. 2. Which Theory do you believe in?

3. 3. If we are all gonna dde...are you afraid?

A few years ago I had a close call in a fire almost lost my life...this changed my theories and opinions of religion an all indefinately.....i believe in god and have no affiliation w/ any religion. I would say I mostly agree with the pagan/wiccan religion but do not practice.

With all of the natural disasters and hype of the "end of the world" I have been thinking about the possibility of dying. And I am not afraid. I know alot of you have very strong opinions about what might or might not happen...but what i want to know is...if the earth was going to be destroyed tomorow and we all knew this as fact...would you be afraid...Are you afraid to die?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSearcher

• Marby

• Slorri

• soulseeker

A few years ago I had a close call in a fire almost lost my life...this changed my theories and opinions of religion an all indefinately.....i believe in god and have no affiliation w/ any religion. I would say I mostly agree with the pagan/wiccan religion but do not practice.

With all of the natural disasters and hype of the "end of the world" I have been thinking about the possibility of dying. And I am not afraid. I know alot of you have very strong opinions about what might or might not happen...but what i want to know is...if the earth was going to be destroyed tomorow and we all knew this as fact...would you be afraid...Are you afraid to die?

You could also, if you would like, tell us why you are or or not afraid.....I not not afraid to die, because I have lived my life being as good as a person as i can be.

I don't want to die. I know it will happen but I hope that it is painless and quick. I am sad about all the things that I will

miss or not experience but that is about it.

I've lived a good life, been the best person I could be, made mistakes and learned from them. I didn't do any of this looking for any type of reward or afterlife. I did them because it was the right thing for me to do.

I'm not afraid of being dead because as far as I am concerned, there is nothing. I just cease to exist.

Nibs

Do you believe the world is coming to and end or change etc.

No.

Which Theory do you believe in?

None

If we are all gonna dde...are you afraid?

We all have to die at some time or another, and yes I am afraid. Not of dying itself but afraid of what it will be like afterwards. I know being dead isn't something one is supposed to feel but I have this thought in my mind that maybe it'll be like being concious in one big dark void. The idea of 'nothingness' scares me, it's daft I know.

A lot of my family have already passed, what I would really like to believe is that when my turn comes we will all meet up....wishful thinking more like :hmm:

- Yes. A world without change? That's not gonna happen.

- Other. But none really.

- No. We're all gonna die.

*Big long sigh* :sleepy:

Nothing will happen on 2012 guys, chill. To some people tommorow will be the end of the world.

Here Taken from the above link.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

But this wont stop others coming out screaming its a conspiracy and cover-up, Nasa will be blamed for being a evil tool used by secret evil societies to control the masses, and that really the end of the world is coming in 2012, and secret evil organisations and people like scientists,oil companies, Nasa, starbucks and HerNibs are really trying to keep us blind from it.

well nobody ever said you get out of life alive. Live your life to the fullest, try to experience as much as you can, make your life count for something. I don't fear death, it's part of the natural cycle of life. If there were no death, would we appreciate life as much?

The world will be purified.

The White Buffalo was born, this is the sign.

Will we die?

Some will die - others will live and rebuild.

the earth.

I am not afraid.

I don't know what it means to 'die' except that 'I' will no longer be a part of this world. Is it like the most excruciating pain you will ever suffer or is it simply nothing?

So I cannot say I am afraid to die, I am wary of what I do not know, however. I like being alive and do not wish that life to cease when what happens after it ceases is unknown.

Will we die?

the earth.

I am not afraid.

Erm is that not the normal facts of life?

Nah. I'm not afraid. I'll probably be able to last quite awhile longer than most people. Mainly because I live in a rural location and have guns and ammo. Plus many trees for shelter and fire.

1. no

2. n/a

3. no

Will the world end or change? At some point, probably, but it's not something that any idiotic charlatan trying to sell you a book is going to have inside information on. So that's why I put no. Sure, an asteroid might hit us, causing huge change, and eventually, the sun will supernova, most likely obliterating the planet, but the former is something we are only beginning to understand, and the latter is not due for 5 million or billion years yet.

The second question is what kept me from actually completing the poll. I could have put "other", but that would imply that I thought I knew. While the most likely candidates are asteroid or supernova, I'm not going to claim that I know that for sure either. I really don't care, honestly, but the chances of it being Biblical Armageddon, aliens, the 2012 rubbish, or anything else that so many people pretend to know are so unlikely that they are comical.

Afraid? Well, death comes to us all eventually. I don't want to die, and I hope that when I do, I am old and content with everything I have to look back on and have no regrets. But to actively fear it and dwell on the inevitable really sort of ruins everything I have going on for me right now. So, who cares? If we all die because of some catastrophe, then we do. I'm not about to move into an underground bunker and wait.

Will we die?

the earth.

I am not afraid.

The buffaloes used to say roam where you roam

Erm is that not the normal facts of life?

what she mean is that there going to be a WW3

The 12/21/12 date is the exact date when our sun will end its 25,800 year journey through the 12 signs of the zodiac.

The ancients believed in astrology. They felt that those stars and constellations influenced how the earth was formed all of those unimaginable eons ago and they continue to influence us now.

The mysterious pyramids and other monuments in Egypt and other places track the movement of the constellations over very long time frames like thousands of years. For example the North Star, Polaris, shines directly into the entrance of the Great Pyramid every few thousand years.

The sphinx is associated with the constellation of Leo the lion.

I find the horoscopes on this web site to be very accurate most of the time:

astro.com

That's because these horoscopes don't talk about specific things that will happen. Rather they talk about the influences that are present for the day. The responses to these influences can be different for different people. Also you can probably see how you responded differently to these same influences 20 years ago for example.

Exactly what's going to happen on 12/21/12 I don't know. The theories vary wildly.

One interesting idea is the human body is going to experience some sort of transformation and become less dense. Or at least this process is going to start.

The Mayans felt that this time we are in now would be a time of great change as it has been.

They placed great importance on the position of the earth and sun in relation to the rest of the galaxy.

On 12/21/12 our sun will become aligned with the super massive black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

Who would doubt that this will have some effect on us ?

The 12/21/12 date is not some artificial computer issue like the year 2000.

Jeff

On 12/21/12 our sun will become aligned with the super massive black hole in the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

Can two objects be aligned? Surely there must be yet another object in this line.

The 12/21/12 date is the exact date when our sun will end its 25,800 year journey through the 12 signs of the zodiac.

The ancients believed in astrology. They felt that those stars and constellations influenced how the earth was formed all of those unimaginable eons ago and they continue to influence us now.

The mysterious pyramids and other monuments in Egypt and other places track the movement of the constellations over very long time frames like thousands of years. For example the North Star, Polaris, shines directly into the entrance of the Great Pyramid every few thousand years.

The sphinx is associated with the constellation of Leo the lion.

I find the horoscopes on this web site to be very accurate most of the time:

astro.com

That's because these horoscopes don't talk about specific things that will happen. Rather they talk about the influences that are present for the day. The responses to these influences can be different for different people. Also you can probably see how you responded differently to these same influences 20 years ago for example.

Exactly what's going to happen on 12/21/12 I don't know. The theories vary wildly.

One interesting idea is the human body is going to experience some sort of transformation and become less dense. Or at least this process is going to start.

The Mayans felt that this time we are in now would be a time of great change as it has been.

They placed great importance on the position of the earth and sun in relation to the rest of the galaxy.

Who would doubt that this will have some effect on us ?

The 12/21/12 date is not some artificial computer issue like the year 2000.

Jeff

Erm Egyptology not being my forte, I'll leave to others to answer that. Yet I have to add that even I can see some incorrectness in there.

This said, contrary to popular understanding, the ancient Meso-Americans, be they Aztec or Maya or any other group, left no oral or written “prophecy” record about what would or could happen on or about the year 2012 other than a great age of 5125 years would end and another commence. It appears to be true that the Maya could predict certain astronomical events but this skill is not unique to the Maya. The ancient Babylonians could make those predictions as well and did so much earlier than the Maya.

The present-day Maya, as a whole, do not attach much significance to b'ak'tun 13. Although the calendar round is still used by some Maya tribes in the Guatemalan highlands, the Long Count was employed exclusively by the classic Maya, and was only recently rediscovered by archaeologists. Mayan elder Apolinario Chile Pixtun and Mexican archaeologist Guillermo Bernal both note that "apocalypse" is a Western concept that has little or nothing to do with Mayan beliefs (ref : here).

The alignment with the theoretical super massive black hole in the center of this galaxy, well I hate to burst your bubble, but nonetheless, here it goes.

This is what a NASA scientist says : There is a giant black hole in the center of our Milky Way galaxy, and like any concentration of mass it exerts gravitational force on the rest of the Galaxy. However, the galactic center is very far away, approximately 30,000 light years, so it has negligible effects on the solar system or the Earth. There are no special forces from the galactic plane or the galactic center. The only important force that acts on the Earth is the gravitation of the Sun and Moon. As far as the influence of the galactic plane, there is nothing special about this location. The last time the Earth was in the galactic plane was several million years ago. Claims that we are about to cross the galactic plane are untrue. (source)

Besides the fact, that an 'exact' alignment isn't possible, because the center of the Galaxy is not in the plane of the Earth’s orbit. It’s off by about 5 and 1/2 degrees. As a comparison, the disk of the sun is about 1/2 a degree across. This means that the sun will be 11 times its own diameter away from a line through the center of the galaxy on December 21, 2012.

Also, the line of the Earth and Sun comes close to alignment with the center twice a year, on the solstices. No ill effects noted so far, no swarm of earthquakes, no plagues of locusts, no wrath of the mayan gods.

It should be recognized that the galactic equator is arbitrary. It is an approximation of the center of mass of the galactic disk, and is an entirely human construction, and in fact is a modern human construction, and has no real meaning other than to give us a frame of reference. It does not correspond to any physical object or location.

You're correct in saying that the 12/21/12 date is not some artificial computer issue, like the year 2000. It's a none issue.

It's all part of a scheme to make money off the guillable.

2012 will be a year like all the others, with babies being born, people dying, seasons happening, earthquakes happening, people being happy, people being sad.

Well put, The Searcher. :tu:

Astrology is the product of the primitive mind that had only a minor understanding of the observations they made in the night sky. This is not to say that ancient cultures, whether they be Egyptian, Mayan, whatever, were completely ignorant of celestial events. They were keen observers and learned to predict a coming eclipse, to cite just one example. The knowledge they had was nothing unknown to us today, and in fact, much of our rudimentary knowledge is based on what they observed. We have expanded on that knowledge in the modern day, tweaked and corrected their miscalculations, and have developed the science to go well beyond what they could have known.

Astrology is a holdover from the days before we knew better. The average horoscope, even when detailed to one's own personal chart, is vague and easily twisted to fit whatever aspect of a person's life they want to fit it into. I fit every characteristic of my birth sign, Scorpio, but those same characteristics can be reworded to fit my Pisces husband, my Cancer sister, my Taurus mother, and my Libra nephew. Anything that doesn't fit quite so easily can be BS'd into fitting in with the fact that I am a Scorpio born with Aquarius rising. Astrology has been thoroughly debunked I don't know how many times by I don't know how many people. I don't know why there are people who still take it seriously beyond reading it for a laugh in the daily paper. You might as well slaughter and goat and read the entrails for all the accuracy it provides, which is... well, none.

To point to astrological information and claim that it has anything to do with 2012, whether it's Mayan or anyone else's version, is really grasping at straws to lend the whole 2012 thing validity.Astrology doesn't validate anything, why would it validate this?

Edited by Marby

Well put, The Searcher. :tu:

Astrology is the product of the primitive mind that had only a minor understanding of the observations they made in the night sky. This is not to say that ancient cultures, whether they be Egyptian, Mayan, whatever, were completely ignorant of celestial events. They were keen observers and learned to predict a coming eclipse, to cite just one example. The knowledge they had was nothing unknown to us today, and in fact, much of our rudimentary knowledge is based on what they observed. We have expanded on that knowledge in the modern day, tweaked and corrected their miscalculations, and have developed the science to go well beyond what they could have known.

Astrology is a holdover from the days before we knew better. The average horoscope, even when detailed to one's own personal chart, is vague and easily twisted to fit whatever aspect of a person's life they want to fit it into. I fit every characteristic of my birth sign, Scorpio, but those same characteristics can be reworded to fit my Pisces husband, my Cancer sister, my Taurus mother, and my Libra nephew. Anything that doesn't fit quite so easily can be BS'd into fitting in with the fact that I am a Scorpio born with Aquarius rising. Astrology has been thoroughly debunked I don't know how many times by I don't know how many people. I don't know why there are people who still take it seriously beyond reading it for a laugh in the daily paper. You might as well slaughter and goat and read the entrails for all the accuracy it provides, which is... well, none.

To point to astrological information and claim that it has anything to do with 2012, whether it's Mayan or anyone else's version, is really grasping at straws to lend the whole 2012 thing validity.Astrology doesn't validate anything, why would it validate this?

Thank you my fair Lady and allow me to return the compliment your post as well. Nicely said.

No.

None

We all have to die at some time or another, and yes I am afraid. Not of dying itself but afraid of what it will be like afterwards. I know being dead isn't something one is supposed to feel but I have this thought in my mind that maybe it'll be like being concious in one big dark void. The idea of 'nothingness' scares me, it's daft I know.

A lot of my family have already passed, what I would really like to believe is that when my turn comes we will all meet up....wishful thinking more like :hmm:

I wish I will not meet (most of)my family if there is an afterlife... but it's just me..

Maybe we are already dead and we don't know it... we are dreaming we are alive... or perhaps, as Berkeley would say... you don't exist... only I(eye) exist.. you are just letter on my screen and I'm dreaming you exist.. to keep me company... :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: