Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The false prophet of Virginia Beach

UM-Bot

William B Stoecker: Edgar Cayce, the so-called “sleeping prophet” of Virginia Beach, Virginia, has been elevated to cult status by the true believers. Books have been written about him, and his life and work are discussed, generally uncritically, on various television programs. But, whether he was a scam artist or a sincere believer in his own nonexistent abilities, there is no real proof that the “cures” he prescribed for the sick really worked. And as for his numerous prophecies, the years have come and gone and every last one of them has failed to come true.

Cayce was born on 3/18/1877 near Beverly, Kentucky, seven miles from Hopkinsville, where his family moved while he was still quite young. He made it through the eighth grade and no further; in fairness, it must be pointed out that this was not unusual in those days, and that many schools then had much higher academic standards than today. He worked for some time in a book store in Hopkinsville, and did a lot of reading, showing a particular interest in books about Atlantis and Lemuria, and works by and about the Theosophists and the Rosicrucians. This is almost certainly where he formed many of his beliefs about the occult and about ancient history and prehistory; there is no evidence that he was not sincere in his opinions.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mario Lemieux

• meankitty

• Indiogene

• SV-001

Thanks for a terrific article. Very interesting.

William B Stoecker: Edgar Cayce, the so-called “sleeping prophet” of Virginia Beach, Virginia, has been elevated to cult status by the true believers. Books have been written about him, and his life and work are discussed, generally uncritically, on various television programs. But, whether he was a scam artist or a sincere believer in his own nonexistent abilities, there is no real proof that the “cures” he prescribed for the sick really worked. And as for his numerous prophecies, the years have come and gone and every last one of them has failed to come true.

Cayce was born on 3/18/1877 near Beverly, Kentucky, seven miles from Hopkinsville, where his family moved while he was still quite young. He made it through the eighth grade and no further; in fairness, it must be pointed out that this was not unusual in those days, and that many schools then had much higher academic standards than today. He worked for some time in a book store in Hopkinsville, and did a lot of reading, showing a particular interest in books about Atlantis and Lemuria, and works by and about the Theosophists and the Rosicrucians. This is almost certainly where he formed many of his beliefs about the occult and about ancient history and prehistory; there is no evidence that he was not sincere in his opinions.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

This was a very interesting article to read. Having studied Cayce and his life for over 15 years, I do not necessarily agree with some of the opinions in this article. I also find the "prophecies" the author selected to be taken out of context and used opportunistically (not unlike what the "true believers" he speaks of often do). However, it is rare to find any critical discussion about Cayce, and it is nice to see someone take a look with a skeptics eye.

I'm no expert on Cayce. But, I was under the impression that some of his "healings" were documented. So, without any source quotes at all - the author is merely stating his opinion. This opinion is not shared by all, and since no source has been provided showing differently; this is nothing but an opinion piece. It would be nice if someone more familiar with the "facts" could offer up some refutation of this piece.

And the picture of Edgar Cayce certainly doesn't help with the wording of the article. He looks crazy in that shot. Eep.

I spent about a month at the A.R.E. in Virginia Beach in '98 to visit some friends and to check Cayce's place out. I do agree that not a whole lot of his readings came true in terms of world events, but some did, and what I always base my judgment on is money - the more someone is trying to make cash with their gift, the less they're apt to be Bona Fide, in my opinion. Cayce pretty much struggled with finances his whole life, and many thousands of his readings were given for nearly free. However, I did enjoy the article and agree that a critical eye on the man is different to what is normally written.

I don't think Edgar Cayce was a scam artist. However, I welcomed the article. I haven't seen many Cayce related articles lately.

Yep, I heard of him. An uncanny accurate prophet if you ask me, but the way his prophecies are performed and less subtle than of Nostradamus. But you never know. :unsure2: , Edgar Cayce was given a gift of prophecy when he was a child, an angelic spirit orb :innocent: came to him on his fishing trip and was asked "You wish to help people?" Edgar as a young boy replied "Yes, I do".

Edited by ADMikey

• 2 weeks later...

hey Mario, what do you think of Malkin's season ??

Edited by JonathanVonErich