Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaur Extinction

Mutant Snake

yesterday there was an article on this site saying that christian paleontologists found evidence that the dinosaurs died in Noah's flood. since many scientists believe that the dinosaurs were killed by a meteor, I think the flood may have been caused by a giant meteor strike. It would have boiled the sea, and made a big rainstorm that may have lasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Any opinions?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mutant Snake

• Burgundy Johnson

• Chauncy

• Falco Rex

I'm more than a little skeptical when Christian Scientists find "Evidence" since they use whatever they find strictly to back up what they already believe rather than viewing it from an objective position..

I'd be more impressed if they merely published findings without extra theological theories added on to them..

i think so too, but one of my chosen tasks in life, is to try and figure out ways what others say can be true, wouldn't want to break someone's spirit now would we.

It depends. A broken spirit can be a good thing if what comes out of it is a better and stronger person..

I have a problem with interpreting the timeline in the Bible. The Noah's flood occured relatively soon in the human history, right? Few thousand years ago. While dinosaurs are exinct for millions of years. I am not aware of any facts claiming that biblical people and dinosaurs lived together... So I cannot accept the theory of the christian scholars...

When it comes to those that try to manipulate things to get their way, it only makes them angrier.

Then let it be anger. I just don't want to smile and nod at somebody just to make them happy. Responding with anger to any discussion of a scientific subject is specious at best, and reveals much about a persons' beliefs and state of mind..

If they can't take a few slings and arrows then their beliefs may not be as solid as they believe..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...9830503-7531008

I read this earlier, may be it can give you some insight of ealier biblical time history of the middle east which IMO is less biased than the old testament. Also gives you an idea of the hypothetical timeline of the events concerned which has a flavour of realism.

We find dinosaurs of different types all huddled together, like in mass dinosaur graves.

If we think of what force would sweep across an area and collect everything and deposite them in one spot.....a mudslide or flood would be correct.

The "Christian" guy automatically wants to prove Noah's flood true, so everything he does will be bias from the get go.....propagandist....why does he do this?.....because there are lots of christians who NEED to hear these things and thats who he is catering to......its a shame really.

There has been floods all over, there still are floods all over. There is NO evidence of a GLOBAL flood 4000 years ago.

A meteor impact would create the force necessary to render the dino's the way we find them.......sudden quick deaths millions of years ago!!

Yes dino time does not overlap with early human history, and a possible flood in mediterranean area can easily be cross referenced with cultural myths (possibly confined to that area) with geological activities/conditions specation. I recommend the book mentioned earlier as a reasonable amount of archaelogical research has also gone into it. original.gif

I am not trying to smile to protect other's feelings, but too many people poke too many holes in too many things already, about time someone tried to help the ones saying these things, and coming up with very possible ideas about them.

I think according to the bible Noahs Flood happened about 2300bc or something, which probably isnt correct, but there is some evidence that there was a great flood that occured much earlier, which is probably where the bible got the story from.

Still there is no proof the Great Flood ever happened, just a few signs pointing towards it.

It is a good thing that some people are challenging conventional views though, if noone did we would still be in the dark ages, but for once it is the christians who are doing so.

I like the theory that the extinction cycle wiped them out(or most of them) and if any survived they were wiped out by something else more recently.

It just makes me wonder what kind of energy will we be using today if oil is not so readily available. Will our advancement be thrown back by centuries or would the opposite happen?

but there is some evidence that there was a great flood that occured much earlier, which is probably where the bible got the story from.

Still there is no proof the Great Flood ever happened, just a few signs pointing towards it.

There is absolutely without a doubt not an iota, for that matter a possibility of, a total Earth devouring flood happening in mankind's existence. These words I type here with all that I am. Someone offer me wrong!

As much as anyone wants to imply it, do it no more unless you stake your ground in refute. Show, if ya got the sand, a congruent planetary flood in mankind's existence.

It just makes me wonder what kind of energy will we be using today if oil is not so readily available. Will our advancement be thrown back by centuries or would the opposite happen?

The interesting thing about oil, is how it is formed, see oil is a result of dead organics. Simply put..... it took millions and millions of years, sorry, trillions of years for our oil reserves to accumulate.......what we are harvesting today as fuel, was the environment the dinosaurs existed in.

one theory that i heard of, and makes more sense to me is that 'the great flood' actually occured in a huge basin in the earth (kind of like the one that is in africa which was made by a meteorite)..... obviously this place was the whole of the earth to them, as they hadnt travelled outside of its perimeter.. everything they needed was utilised....

anyhoo on with the story.... noah built the arc, as he was commanded to do by some superbeing, that told him a great flood would come and destroy 'the earth'. (to which he did for noah and his family), he gathered the animals blah blah.... the rains came.... the huge basin filled, which presumably took 40 days and nights... they suffered and weathered the storms, until one day the rains stopped.... noah releases the dove which flies away, and returns with the olive branch... which was found outside the huge basin and is filled and obviously destroyed with water... n

now if it rained across the whole entire of the earth... the olive branch/twig that the dove found must have come off some pretty huge olive tree, it would take quite some time for the waters to recede, and any normal life to begin and function again

ps i went to sunday school, and we did bible studies in school, so i am very aware of what the bible etc is about.... its just how others interpret them into their own gains is where a lot of problems lie

Yes i'm sure there were floods in specific areas in the past, just as there is to this day.

With the dinosaurs though, we are talking about a major meteor impact affecting the earth for a long, long time. During earth's recovery of this impact, alot of species rose and fell.

The cataclysm to which the Noah story renditions has no correlation to the dinosaur's life and times.

I was just trying to see how it could have happened, I don't think the dinosaurs were wiped out in Noah's flood, I was just trying to figure out a way to combine those two theories together.

A lot of problems happen when you place the theories before the data. That is why one of the prerequisites of scientific methodology is that there must be a logical path from the data to the resulting theory, not vice-versa. By giving more importance to the theory (Any theory. Scientists are just as guility of this as non-scientists), you limit your objectivity, and end up tempting yourself to manipulate the data that you are trying to explain, instead of the theory that should be explaining it.

I never thought of it that way, That's the problem with dealing with how things could be as opposed to how they really are.

That's the problem with dealing with how things could be as opposed to how they really are.

Yes and when a person wants an answer to be a specific way, if they want this with all their heart and all that they live by......then the evidence will NEVER be looked at objectively.

Also with the Noah's flood rendition, an objective question would be......why weren't the dinosaurs rounded up two X two?

possibly this has been said before, so many threads, so many topics, too lazy to go look.

first the flood theory.

the best theory i've read and one that makes sense to me, refers to the mediterranean sea, now way back, and i can't remember how long was quoted, it is believed the mediterranean sea was not there, a large inland lake at best, and the atlantic ocean was kept out by what we know as gibraltar, or the gates of hercules. try to imagine this, sea on one side, dry land on the other side of gibraltar, and many towns and cities thriving on the floor of what is now the mediterranean. over time the "wall" erodes, and a great waterfall begins, and if there happened to be a great storm, 40 days of rain and such, the water level would increase, and possibly the "wall" that seperated mediterranean basin from atlantic ocean collapses and woosh, loads of water pours in and creates the sea. towns are wiped out, and tales move up through the ages of the great flood, noah, atlantis, what have you. if you lived in the middle of the basin, and you built an arc, you'd float for weeks out there before landing on mt ararat which was likely under an elevated sea level, IF you believe in the arc deal that is.

second, dinosaurs.

i don't think one big comet wiped them out, i think it was a combination, of possibly comet, intense volcanic activity, which both threw ash and debris into the sky, cutting down sunlight, decreasing the temperature, and the reptiles died off.

but noah not letting the dinosaurs on the arc?????

why? he didn't like them, was afraid they'd eat all the other animals? and did god tell him to let them drown? that god had made a mistake with dinosaurs, it would be better off in the long run because he was going to invent the internal combustion engine?

no, i don't think so.

dinosaurs existed millions of years before the flood, if there really was one.

Actually, from my understanding, the "Great Flood", is a borrowed story, from the epic of Gilgimesh, which I read when I was studying Sumerian myothology. It was added to the Bible to help create the story behind the Old Testement.

As for the dinosaurs.....er. I would think it would be a real pain in the a** to try and collect two of every creature while tryng to avoid T-Rex's.

The Noah's flood story is absolutely ridiculous, as are most of the claims made in the Bible...

If enough rain fell to cover the entire surface of the earth up to almost the top of Mt. Ararat in the time given in the bible, does anyone realize how fast that rain would have had to fall? Try, the waters would have risen at about 11 feet per hour... water falling at that velocity would have pretty much scoured the surface of the continents of all plant life, all soil, down to crystaline rock... pretty much level most mountains. All the water on the planet would have been brackish... and there would have been no sun for those 40 days... NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING could have survived... and certainly not an olive tree! Nor a whale or a dolphin or any marine life at all, with no sun even the microscopic marine life would have perished... and just using your head tells you that there is no way Noah and his family could have taken two of all creatures (and also enough food to feed them!) onto the ark... where did he keep the fish?

I read somewhere a few years ago that a geologist had discovered evidence in the middle east that suggested that there had been two lakes very close to each other. but on different elevations, the larger of the two being at the higher elevation... and that at some point in history, possibly in Noah's time, the larger, higher lake eventually spilled over into the smaller lake. That event would have caused flooding and "rain" (think Niagra Falls, but bigger!) for many, many days. It would have looked like the whole world flooded to the people who lived in the region... whistling2.gif

I'm more than a little skeptical when Christian Scientists find "Evidence" since they use whatever they find strictly to back up what they already believe rather than viewing it from an objective position..

I'd be more impressed if they merely published findings without extra theological theories added on to them..

I agree. Many times people make things up just to back up their beliefs. I think it was global climate change and the dinosaurs inept resistance to it.