Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A few interesting Bible facts...

Nxt2Hvn

Actually, the Bible is not a mythology but a religious book.

Religious books are, by definition, nothing more than mythology. Mythology is religious stories that have no secular or scientific backing.

Greatest work of fiction ever written.

• Like 1

Agreed. Most religious text have been subject to intrepretation, and often intrepretation of intrepretation, and always intrepretation of different languages.

As for the Christian religion, they have played a major part in the telling of history for the past 2000 years. Coupled by some "aggressive marketing", they went from cult status to mainstream. I find it fascinating that so many Christiana go at great lengths to seemingly justify and promote their faith over others. Don't get me wrong, religion can have an extremely beneficial effect on society; however, humanity has always shown its bad side. I'm sure that many Christians often cringe in being reminded with constant proof that "in the name of God" has been used for some horrific genocides on humanity (i.e. Native Americans, Islam, Hinduism, and primal religions). That is the main reason as to why Christians currently are the largest religious group in the world.

Is the Bible fact? There isn't enough proof for me to say that. And for that to happen, I would need to see a large Christian miracle (not, the gleam in a newborns eyes...sun shining type). I'm talking big. But I hold that to all religions. Bring forth Hanuman, Rama and gang. Bring Allah and Mohemmed. And everyone else. But until then, it's all suspect to me.

Hmm... Some intresting facts. Glad this thread hasn't broken down. When religion is involved it normal does.

Thanks for sharing...

This might sound really stupid, and I might be stupid for reference something to an anime, but has anyone ever sen Evangelion?

There is an angel named "Lilith" and the other is "Adam". I was always curious about why there was no "Eve" but a "Lilith" in that anime since it was referenced to God/Heaven/Angels and what not.

But it all makes sense now...Thanks FreyKade.

Is it possible that you have a link to those those facts or anything? I'd be interested in reading them.

Also, one more thing, for everyone. ((Kinda off topic)) But supposedly Jesus married a woman named Mary M-something. Can never remember the last name. And supposedly there was some pages or a book about it, that they never put forth in fear that it may ruin Jesus' image. Anyone know anything about that? Or could give me some info, I'm curious about it.

Thanks.

I'm sure that many Christians often cringe in being reminded with constant proof that "in the name of God" has been used for some horrific genocides on humanity (i.e. Native Americans, Islam, Hinduism, and primal religions). That is the main reason as to why Christians currently are the largest religious group in the world.

actually, i do beleive islam is the largest populated religion in the world right now, and still growing.

Lilith was the first wife of Adam, but cos she was made from mud she only gave birth to evil spirits, so she left the garden to join Satan.

After that, Yahweh made Eve out of Adams ribs.

Lilith went on to become the Queen of the Night.

Jesus Christ didnt marry Mary Magdalin I dont believe, but she was a whore who travelled with Jesus I think.

(she is in the Passion of the Christ, the younger woman that follows Jesus around)

blink.gif

NXT2HVN!!!! I just left for a while and look at what i found here!!! po.gifpo.gifpo.gif

whistling2.gif

Adam tried to couple with the female animals? LOL never heard that before..but for some reason..I find it quite hilarious.

Now i understand why the story of Lilith is not included in the bible laugh.gif

Religious books are, by definition, nothing more than mythology. Mythology is religious stories that have no secular or scientific backing.

Well.. religious books are much more than just myths.

Greatest work of fiction ever written.

i think i would give the credit to the Mahabharata wink2.gif

actually, i do beleive islam is the largest populated religion in the world right now, and still growing.

The last time i checked, christianity is the world's largest, but islam is the world's fastest growing major religion (smaller religions usualy grows even faster)

Also, one more thing, for everyone. ((Kinda off topic)) But supposedly Jesus married a woman named Mary M-something. Can never remember the last name. And supposedly there was some pages or a book about it, that they never put forth in fear that it may ruin Jesus' image. Anyone know anything about that? Or could give me some info, I'm curious about it.

You mean Mary Magdalene? Hmm. I don't know about that, but here's what I can say about Jesus: In Jesus' time, it was standard for rabbis to marry (he was Jewish, after all) and have children. So I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

The Mary Magdalene as Jesus' wife is just a speculation. There is no evidence, not even clue. The traditional view is that Mary Magdalene is a prostitute, however this is also another speculation. She was definitely one of Jesus' disciple, but not necesarily an apostle, although some people think that she was. Also there is a book called the Gospel of Mary which put some credibility to this theory.

Adam tried to couple with the female animals? LOL never heard that before..but for some reason..I find it quite hilarious.

Now i understand why the story of Lilith is not included in the bible laugh.gif

give them a bad name if it were included...would the religion have grown as much if there were elements of beastiality in it...i wouldnt have thought it would....maybe the took it out because it dont sell...

maybe the took it out because it dont sell...

i prefer the sentence " they didn't put it in because it does not teach the right thing." wink2.gif

Ahhh.... Thanks you guys for the info.

If I mention to people that some believe he had a wife, they all blow up at me. I don't see anything wrong with him having a wife. He was born a man and thus was susceptible to earthly things.

If he were my saviour, I wouldn't have a problem with this. So please, what is the big deal, per se, if it were true, would you think of him any less? I don't think anyone would. People want to paint the perfect picture of Jesus, but I really don't think that's possible. He was born man, sure he was enlightened, more knowlegeable and the Son of God, but man nonetheless.

Does this mean he cannot love? Of course not. Did God say unto him that he should not partake into earthly pleasures? No. If it does, I have not read it, please point it out to me.

Oh and one more thing:

In Jesus' time, it was standard for rabbis to marry (he was Jewish, after all) and have children.

Jesus was Jewish. What's all this Christinanity/Catholic busniess? Some please explain? Seriously. Not trying to condemn anyone, I'm curious.

Ah, I'm rambling, I'm sorry. Thanks guys.

Edited by Fox_Mulder

some people actually believe that Jesus did get married and possibly have children, but it is a church conspiracy and they are hiding it from the public....i really wouldn't understand why, big deal he had some kids....it could give people hope....a new slogan "Cuz remember, you may have some Jesus in you"

Damn... there was some things i wanted to say but I missed them while away and its too late for it now I suppose.

*chuckles* That's true Anubis. But then that would probably bring about a lot more racial issues...

My favourite bible fact is something that my RE teacher told my class when we were about 12.

You know at the end of 'Stigmata' it talks about one of the dead sea scrolls that was known as 'the Gospel of Thomas' and is now apparentlly denounced as heresy by the Vatican?

Well anywho, apparently in said Gospel, Jesus gets mad at someone and kills them on the spot, with his eyes. disgust.gif

Please someone explain why the Vatican would hide this! Lasar-vision Jesus!! I want one, more than a Buddy Christ! thumbsup.gif

LOL

I just read through this entire thread and have to point out one major mistake, Moses did not write the pentateuch.

I learnt this in my first lesson of A-level RS, it was originally believed that he was the author, but that is blatantly impossible, since he was dead before the end of Exodus, so how on earth could he write deuteronomy, leviticus and numbers from beyond the grave. Even for Moses, that's just silly! wacko.gif

Also, the bible wasn't actually written down until about 900 BC before that it was simply spread by word of mouth. From 900 BC onwards various groups of people wrote down the stories they knew and over time they merged to form the complete bible. That's why there are two accounts of certain events, such as the death of Saul.

Seven suicides are recorded in the Bible.

I wonder how many suicides there have been 'because'

of the bible?

Teddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Betrayal and Arrest in Gethsemane

(8) 43 And immediately, while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders. 44Now His betrayer had given them a signal, saying, "Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him and lead Him away safely."

45As soon as he had come, immediately he went up to Him and said to Him, "Rabbi, Rabbi!" and kissed Him.

46Then they laid their hands on Him and took Him. 47And one of those who stood by drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.

48Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? 49I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize Me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled."

50Then they all forsook Him and fled.

A Young Man Flees Naked

51 Now a certain young man followed Him, having a linen cloth thrown around his naked body. And the young men laid hold of him, 52and he left the linen cloth and fled from them naked.

This last part just makes me laugh. Don't know why. I can just invision this really serioius scenario of dragging off the Messiah and then this guy runs up and starts streakin. Im sure it was some renting custom or something...but FUNNY none the less. And it is only in Mark. Why was he the one to record this? Where were Matt, Mark and Lil Johnny? Maybe they didn't have a sense of humor.

Obviously you are a christian (i'm not, but i'll forgive you if you forgive me) what do you think about numerology and the "Bible Code"? I took a class on religion but none of the christians new what numerology was or had heard of the supposed "Code". if you have heard of it and you have any thoughts on it please post.

Here is a couple links for you sourpatchkid (welcome to the forum btw)

Click

Click

Clickety

Click

Click

This forum is so large, the best way to find things that you are interested in is a search. the search option is at the top of all forum pages. The easiest way to find all topics on a subject is to run your search in 'all forums', and 'any date' thumbsup.gif