Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A few interesting Bible facts...

Nxt2Hvn

you know the bible has a section where they talk about dragons so that means dragons could possibly be real

Only if the Bible is real and all evidence is that it isn't!

Here are random bible facts:

The word 'mystery' in the NKJ Bible is mentioned 21 times.

The word 'sky' in the NKJ Bible is mentioned 9 times.

The word 'lightning' in the NKJ Bible is mentioned 18 times.

1 Cor 15:52

in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

hmmm. interesting.

Only if the Bible is real and all evidence is that it isn't!

If that's true then I have just failed RS. My coursework consisted of finding evidence to prove the accuracy of the old testament and there is loads of evidence to support it. There is evidence for a huge flood in mesopotamia, plagues in Egypt, non-christian legends of a man scarily similar to Abraham. I actually had to exceed my word limit! ohmy.gif

Where did you get your information? As a long time student of history and archaeology I would have to see it to believe it. Everything that you have stated is either false or shaded to the false. There were several great flood in mesopotamia, of the Euphrates and the Tigiris - hardly world wide, no where in any egyptian document that I have heard of is there a mention of Joseph, Moses, plagues, Isrealites, or any of the mythology in the bible....Your legend about a man like Abraham was probably in reference to Gilgamesh. He was actually a King of Babylon, who had a story written about him - He was an actual person, Abraham probably wasn't. I await edification with your sources and I hope it isn't from some biased website like answersingenesis or the ICR.

...I would have to see it to believe it.

Very typical. Most people only believe what they see.

Edited by Norman

Very typical. Most people only believe what they see.

Isn't that what it takes to be a skeptic?????? wacko.gif

Since TA was referring to written material, I said seeing is believing, but yes I have seen a photo of starlight being bent by the gravity well of a star between us and the originating star. wacko.gif

The Bibles themselves are not holy, and we should all understand that. So, in my humble opinion, it makes little sense to have to swear on a bible for any reason.

You're correct, it's not the book that's holy it's the words and reflections

of people far wiser than us that is holy!

Here are two stories on one webpage that follow the text of the Old Testament, yet sound as if the accounts are entirely different: http://onealclan0.tripod.com/newsletter_au...august_2004.htm

This is a monthly newsletter that will be posted online at least until the end of this month and is entitled, "From Beyond Earth: The Second Arrival."

Fascinating.

Unfortunately, that information comes from a "woo woo" site....People need to study history and see where the info in the bible comes from and when the bible was actually written - you might be surprized.....

Oh, yeah? Well, I have a Bible software. So there!

(its a relyable source)

As if a company whose livilhood depends upon that book of mythology would tell the truth - that's their bread and butter. You must also realize that a source is only as reliable as the data it is accessing and since the first part of the bible was plagarized from multiple cultures much older than the Hebrews (they just erased the original god/goddess's name and substitued YHWH in it's place), it can't be very accurate! rolleyes.gif

Edited by tupac amaru

You know, if I remember correctly, I've read several things and seen several shows even on the discovery channel about how people used to think that Babylon was a myth. Kinda like the city of Jericho as well.

Let's see what the bible says about women:

1 Cor.14:34-36 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

1 Tim.2:11-15 "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Eph.5:22-24 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing."

Hmmm...interesting. Would anyone like to place a bet as to whether the bible was written by a man or a woman?

Let's see what the bible says about gays:

Lev.23:20 "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

That doesn't sound too good for the gay folks...

Or maybe the end of the world:

Mt.16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Well, we must have missed it.

Did Jesus come to bring peace? Let's see:

Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ."

Awww...isn't that nice? But wait:

Mt.10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

That's a mixed signal if I have ever heard one...

The bible is very interesting indeed.

salook.gif

Fluffy, Fluffy, Fluffy.... The blinders come standard issue, you just have to remember to PUT THEM ON!!!! How dare you point out such contradictions... sasmokin.gif

Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ."

Awww...isn't that nice? But wait:

Mt.10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

Most of the contradictions like that Fluffy (notice i say most not all) I chalk up to mistranslation. Not deliberate, but sometimes things change from language to language the message my get jumbled.

For example (and this is is jut an example, something i totally made up just now)

The word sword here could have been mistranslated from the hebrew word for staff or stick. Since Jesus was shepherd to the people, he could have meant that he did not come to bring peace, but to shepherd his people home.

I don't know if this particular passage is the result of mistranslation, but I learned in my Gospels class that this is not an uncommon occurence.

For example (and this one i did not make up) At one pt (pardon me I don't know chapter and verse) Jesus says "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

THis doesn't look to good for us does it? But actually, the hebrew word wasn't camel, it was something like Kamul, which just so happens to be a large piece of twine or thread. Something that COULD fit through a needle, but it would be very difficult.

My point in this is that for the most part I agree that the majority of the Bible is not comprised of literal facts, but that does not mean that the deeper meaning become unimportant!

Just my two cents!

Edited by Angelofmercy

'Love' appears 310 times in the Bible – but that's out of a total of more than three-quarters of a million words. But 'fun' and 'happiness' appear not at all. 'Freedom' appears just twice, once when Paul claims to be free born (Acts 22.27,28) and once when Leviticus advises the thrashing of a raped slave:

"And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to an husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall not be put to death, because she was not free."

(Leviticus 19.20)

'Laughed' shows up just 13 times whereas 'cried' puts in 199 appearances, which figures since 'birth' is there 15 times but 'death' no fewer than 372 times; 'enemies' outnumbers 'friends' 270 to 49, and so it goes on. Just in case anyone should miss the general tenor of this horrid book Ecclesiastes spells it out:

"A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." 7.1

"It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: " 7.2

"Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." 7.3

"The heart of fools is in the house of mirth." 7.4

And this children is what bible is all about! crying.gif

I don't know if this particular passage is the result of mistranslation, but I learned in my Gospels class that this is not an uncommon occurence.

That could be the case, and I don't think that anyone will ever really know for sure.

What I posted was my jab at the fundi folks who consider the bible to be the inerrant word of god. There are several errors and discrepencies between the different gospels and therefore not innerant...

A book that was written and compiled generations after the fact(to use the term loosely), translated twice between very different languages and different timeframes and then edited to serve dubious purposes(my opinion) hardly deserves the authority it gets.

Hiya Fluffy

I am not arguing with you on the main points. I certainly don't believe the Bible is without error and I feel that those that do are completely missing the point. I have always felt that whether the Bible was literally the work of God was (almost) irrelevant. I feel that even if it is all a lot of humbug, 2000 years ago, a man said what a wonderful idea it would be if we could all be nice to each other for a change. Then they nailed him to a tree. Oh the irony, anyway, we might as well be nice to each other while we are here is my point!

(and yes that last bit was paraphrased from the almighty Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Edited by Angelofmercy

i just finished a class called "Comparitive Major World Religions" so i will try to stick to fact and give unbiased information

What impresses me about the Bible, is the fact that it contains scientific knowledge that couldn't have been known at the time.

why do you say "couldnt"? do you not believe it to be possible that in previous times people new things which have now been forgotten?

who is lilith? why isnt she/he exists nor mentioned on the bible? im not really an agnostic atheist but i havent have heard about lilith before... is this true or just a tricky hoax

this is probably a tricky hoax, actually ill try not to use "hoax" the fact of the matter is this Adam was not real, the word "Adam" in hebrew means "of the dirt (or earth)" depending on who you ask. the word "Eve" means "first" hence the story, God made adam from the dirt, and eve was the first woman, any story you have heard that involves a first wife of adam is a story made by the imagination of recent times.

actually, i do beleive islam is the largest populated religion in the world right now, and still growing

you are correct

The Mary Magdalene as Jesus' wife is just a speculation. There is no evidence, not even clue. The traditional view is that Mary Magdalene is a prostitute, however this is also another speculation

ah, yes, mary magdelene, possibly the most misunderstood person in history. there is no proof, not even a little that she was wed to Jesus. in his time he was considered a religious rebel. his society had taught him, "be fruitful and multiply" hence his opposite teaching of abstinence. mary m was not a whore, she is popularly beilieved to have been a priestess in the "goddess" religions before she followed jesus. im not really sure where the idea that she was a whore came from, it was probably used as an excuse from the council of nicea to not include her gospel in the common bible. god forbid that we get a womans point of view on the important topic of religion

Jesus was Jewish. What's all this Christinanity/Catholic busniess? Some please explain? Seriously. Not trying to condemn anyone, I'm curious.

wow is that a big can of worms. Jesus was raised in a jewish society, he himself was a Jew, yes. the difference is that the jews do not believe that jesus filled the prophecy of the messiah (youll have to look that up yourself) that is how they differ from christians. the Catholics differ from other christians in that they give praise (but dont worship) saints, and mary, the mother of Jesus. i must say i understand the obsession with mary, if she truly "gave birth to jesus without ever having known the touch of a man" than in my opinion that makes her just a holy as jesus. (the non-catholic christians are probably having a heart attack about what i just said)

You're correct, it's not the book that's holy it's the words and reflections

what do you think makes them wiser than "us"?

Edited by sourpatchkid

• 2 months later...

Thanx for the facts, very interesting! didnt know all that!

Sexual Mysteries of the Bible

Genesis 17

9: And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. ph34r.gif

10: This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

11: And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

Leviticus, chapter 15

16: And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even. ohmy.gif

18: The woman also with whom man shall lie with seed of copulation, they shall both bathe themselves in water, and be unclean until the even. sad.gif

Deuteronomy, chapter 23

1: He that is wounded in the testicles, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of Jehovah. crying.gif

Galatians, chapter 3

15: Brethren, I speak after the manner of men;

Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

16: Now to Abraham and his seed (semen) were the promises made.

He saith not, And to seeds, as of many (people); but as of one, And to thy seed (semen), which is Christ. huh.gif

1 Corinthians, chapter 6

9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:

neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,devil.gif

10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, alien.gif shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians, chapter 6

18: Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.

19: What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you (your seed), which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20: For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Matthew 5

31: It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Here's an intersting fact -

The word "Hasmal" (Hebrew) appears only twice in the bible, when Yechzkel describes what he sees when God appears to him. It is unknown what the biblical prophet actually meant by that word, but in Modern Hebrew the word means "Electricity".

Edit –

The story about Lillith, Adam’s first wife, is most certainly not a recently made story. I don’t remember the exact details, but it is part of stories that were part of the Jewish tradition for hundreds of years.

Edited by Ann