Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French bread spiked with LSD in CIA

Still Waters

A 50-year mystery over the 'cursed bread' of Pont-Saint-Esprit, which left residents suffering hallucinations, has been solved after a writer discovered the US had spiked the bread with LSD as part of an experiment.

In 1951, a quiet, picturesque village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations.At least five people died, dozens were interned in asylums and hundreds afflicted.

For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now, however, an American investigative journalist has uncovered evidence suggesting the CIA peppered local food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoonmai

• puridalan

• Rosewin

• SolarPlexus

Can americans not demand the CIA be dispanded? It seems that they have been found to be involved in a hell of a lot of dodgy dealings.

Can americans not demand the CIA be dispanded? It seems that they have been found to be involved in a hell of a lot of dodgy dealings.

meh it was during the bad days when Project MKULTRA was running

I can't remember the guy running its name but he was pretty mental

Edited by Cynical Sounds

Figures. Americans are under the blind assumption that our government cares about US, the people, but all it ever seems to care about is its power and we are nothing but lab rats.

Disgusting. The CIA really need to be called to task for some of the stuff they've done. They've gone unpunished for too long, and it would be hugely naive to think this kind of stuff doesn't still go on today, albeit with a little more subtlety.

Looking at French news everyday since I live there, I believe the experiment still continues and the CIA has nothing to do with it.. burned cars almost everyday, destruction, kidnapping of business owner the list goes on and on.

I'm pretty sure you can get LSD from ergot, so the other explanation is not so far fetched. You can trip from ergot, it probably explains some of the hysteria and visions people have had over the centuries from eating infected bread.

It's pretty much common knowledge that the CIA wanted LSD for mind experiments, the blatent audacity of this case suggests to me that they just wanted to see what would happen, rather than control anyones minds. Wikipedia says: "250 cases, 7 deaths, and 50 persons interned in asylums". Thats an interesting statistic on unleashing the drug on the unwitting general public.

Edited by DurgaMata

Nice, the CIA makes us proud, yet once again. Those Bas....ds!

I once read in that same era there was a memo passed out at Langley that the punch at the CIA Christmas party was absolutley not to be spiked with LSD. And I agree with a few above statements that we would be naive to think this type of thing does not continue today. When I was a kid (circa 1978 or so) I knew a guy that claimed he was in the navy in the early 60's on board ships that went on secret maneuvers in the pacific off the coast of Peru and they would release nerve gas a few miles upwind from Peruvian fishing vesels, or so shipboard rumor had it. All he knew for sure was that they would be incommunicado for a couple of months at a time, that included receiveing mail from family and friends and were told that if they were caught on these maneuvers the president would disavow all knowledge of them and thier mission.

Edited by OverSword

Off topic:

Yes, but that´s not the french people...

These crimes are performed by ungrateful middle east and african immigrants, living on welfare, never had a job in their life, and not interested in one either.

They are invading Europe like a plague, like grasshoppers, and the European politicians hushes everything down, pretending there is no problem.

But believe me it is.

lol blaming an entire countries problems on the minority, funny thing is all that stuff used to happen way before the immigrants.

on topic

The CIA has been associated with many covert operations in the past and present, I wouldst doubt they have had some sort of involvement in many events that have taken place around the globe, in recent times.

Edited by .AKUMA.

trippy.

I whole heartedly agree with the general sentiment that the CIA needs to be held accountable for this type of evil. Coming from someone who knows all too well the effects of lsd i can state unequivically that "giving this drug to an unsuspecting person is the equivalent of raping ones mind". The scares from something like that are much deeper than any physical. If these allegations are true a horrible crime has been comitted.

Project MKULTRA

During one experiment in Kentucky, seven volunteers were given LSD for 77 days straight. Now thats inhuman

During one experiment in Kentucky, seven volunteers were given LSD for 77 days straight. Now thats inhuman

keyword is 'volunteers.' they volunteered for the trials (whether or not they knew what they were getting themselves into) but those french baguette biters had no idea why they were trippin balls. that being said, what would you think if you suddenly started hallucinating with no prior knowledge of taking any drugs? better or worse than when you did those six hits of purple microdot acid with yer buddies last weekend? i can understand why they were freaked out just a bit.

http://presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=120586&sectionid=3510212

After 50 years of suspicions over the cursed bread of the French village of Pont-Saint-Esprit and its people's hallucinations, a journalist found CIA in the background of the tragedy.

In summer 1951, the whole quiet village of Pont-Saint-Esprit in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously affected by psychosis and hallucinations among its residents.

Reminds me edgewood arsenal when the cia??? the powers that be tested lsd on it's troops because they feared the russian may drop acid on american citizens.

That is terrifying. Now how can people believe there are no conspiracys when they read things like this?

Yeah they probably volunteered, but do you really think they wouldnt change their opinion after the first 10 trips? :) 77 trips day-by-day is mind-blowing ... it must be worse than death at some point...

Both of these cases are wrong ... bad trips are very very dangerous ... Lovecraft said: "The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." :)

Figures. Americans are under the blind assumption that our government cares about US

They do! Why do you think they did it in France?

:innocent:

yeah ive heard of this.... also MKULTRA comes to mind ...

EDIT: which is another admitted conspiracy no?

Edited by SolarPlexus

• 1 month later...

lol The CIA is not simply under americas control..it is central intelligence

where FBI is naturally Federal

they like to test on anything and everything..then when they aren't testing..they like practical jokes such as these. :P

Edited by puridalan

Mkultra, was one f...ed up sect of the CIA, and stupid. Give me two 1911 45s at my side, and a nice katana hidden, and a nice Bowie. And always wearing steel toed boots, I would try to do my best with the inhumam trash!

Laughs, inhuman trash is everywhere..apparently that's why we have the pollution issue :P