Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No more shark in UK fish and chips

Still Waters

Spiny dogfish, a fish and chip shop staple sold in Britain for decades, is to disappear from our dinner plates amid concern the rare species of shark is dying out.

Despite restrictions on taking the species from European waters, the spiny dogfish is still imported into the UK and other EU countries.Most of the meat in Britain ends up in fish and chips without consumers knowing what they are eating.

But a meeting of 175 countries next week is expected to crack down on trading of the shark meat meaning it will no longer be appearing in the nation's favourite dish.

Spiny dogfish is one of eight species of shark to be considered at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) meeting in Quatar later this week

Other species are porbeagle shark – that is found off Cornwall – oceanic whitetip, scalloped hammerhead, great hammerhead, smooth hammerhead, dusky and sandbar sharks.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cetacea

• Belial

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is if it's endangered, how can you still import it? That falls under CITES trade with endangered species :hmm: I was under the impression that shark had already been phased out but not being a big consumer of fish and chips I guess it's not something I had to be worried about too much.