Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Samuronin

[Merged] Dyatlov Pass incident

157 members have voted

1. 1. What happened to them?

• Murder
    • Alien Abduction
    • Bigfoot
    • Werewolves/Vampire /Skinwalkers
    • Government Cover-up
    • Gang Attack
    • Supernatural Causes
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

209 posts in this topic

Years ago I saw a slide show about climbing and mountaineering in the Soviet Union. It was quite interesting. The speaker described a system where the people had to effectively go through some steps to advance to the next level. You'd be prevented from doing certain activities without having accomplished the prerequisites. That's very different from mountaineering here today in the US or Europe. If the speaker was correct, then there might be records out there of what the participants had done before this trip. For example, the experiences many of the people might have been lots and lots of fair weather skiing, or day trips, but not long term bad weather trips such as the one they were on. Maybe they had heard avalanches during the day and were on edge going into the night. We'll never know.

Imagine you are part of this party. It's stormy. You'll been doing some mountaineering for a few years. This is your biggest trip out there. Unlike other trips the weather is bad and looks like it will be bad for a few more days. You keep hearing these weird sounds. You're fairly sure they are avalanches a ways off. There is some debate going on about where you are. You don't want to get closer to the avalanches. Then again you don't want to get lost. Some people want to go a slightly different direction. Finally you realize you are not in the spot you want to be. You set up camp still not sure of your location. Maybe there have been tantalizing glimpses of a nearby peak and some people are afraid that you are camped in an avalanche path. Some people might say the campsite is safe.

All I'm trying to do here is to paint a simple picture of a group that gets edgy because of a lack of agreement amongst its members. In the dark and cold and the storm and the arguments within the group several people panic and make a tragic decision to flee the safety of their camp.

Could we please get past this 'phantom avalanche' Stereologist ? Everytime that I read, the Q n'A session on 'aquiziam', I find it harder to believe, that anyone could still have notions that in an entire 'area devoid of avalanche history, and conditions for the causation of',.... Can still cling to the belief that this red herring was involved !! NO ONE closer to the case than 'this little band of Sherlocks' has any thoughts of avalanche's or their noises!! I concede,that you know a hell of a lot about mountaineering! and believe it or not my own imagination tells me just how panicked someone could get,if they thought that killer snow was heading towards them,... But this explanation..(on this occasion,) is a none starter!! I respect your beliefs ,.. but surely, just because you think that it is possible;; that it is the only explanation!? OPEN YOUR FIELD OF VISION for a while and you never know....?.. you might be the one to crack this chessnut!! :yes:

Edited by 1963

that anyone could still have notions that in an entire 'area devoid of avalanche history, and conditions for the causation of',.... Can still cling to the belief that this red herring was involved !!

Obviously you have no idea what an avalanche is all about. In fact what you post here is a lie. The area is not where the tents are. The area is the side of the mountain. That's a tad bigger than the area where you are considering. So take the time to learn before drawing a remarkably bad conclusion. You scream "open your vision". Well, the same applies to you. Your conclusion appears to be based on the notion that the avalanche is only scary if heading directly at you and since the terrain precludes that happening then this is a non-issue. If that was the case, then I would not have brought up this issue. But I brought it up because that isn't the issue. So learn to read and drop the condescending attitude.

Here's a little hint. It isn't really possible to tell which direction an avalanche is headed when you hear it. Does that make it easier to comprehend? I hope so.

Obviously you have no idea what an avalanche is all about. In fact what you post here is a lie. The area is not where the tents are. The area is the side of the mountain. That's a tad bigger than the area where you are considering. So take the time to learn before drawing a remarkably bad conclusion. You scream "open your vision". Well, the same applies to you. Your conclusion appears to be based on the notion that the avalanche is only scary if heading directly at you and since the terrain precludes that happening then this is a non-issue. If that was the case, then I would not have brought up this issue. But I brought it up because that isn't the issue. So learn to read and drop the condescending attitude.

Here's a little hint. It isn't really possible to tell which direction an avalanche is headed when you hear it. Does that make it easier to comprehend? I hope so.

O.K.,Stereologist!,Lets put this one to bed!..Were clearly never going to agree on this subject..Which is fine!!Everyone has to have their opinions!....The main thing here is,...that I seem to have come across to you,as condecending!!..If that is truly the case? then I offer my heart felt appologies!!!!I never meant to offend or atempt to talk down to you,or in any way upset you!!I hope that we can put this behind us, and lock horns (cordialy) in the future! :tu::tu:

Edited by 1963

Agreed 1963 :tu:

One of the coolest mysteries I saw about the mountains was the disappearance of a whole plane on Nova. Seems that the plane hit a glacier, became buried, and a few years ago popped out.

Another missing plane incident is the 1948 crash of a plane on Mt Sanford

Mt Sanford plane crash

Apparently, the plane went into the glaciers and only located 10 years ago. The rumors of gold on the mountain persist to this day.

Agreed 1963 :tu:

One of the coolest mysteries I saw about the mountains was the disappearance of a whole plane on Nova. Seems that the plane hit a glacier, became buried, and a few years ago popped out.

Another missing plane incident is the 1948 crash of a plane on Mt Sanford

Mt Sanford plane crash

Apparently, the plane went into the glaciers and only located 10 years ago. The rumors of gold on the mountain persist to this day.

Yes,I seem to remember watching a documentary on T.V,about this plane lost in the mountains for decades, and had slowly worked its way down a glacier through natural processes..I found it very interesting at the time!..Im not certain that it was this one though, as I can't remember anything about the gold!..But thats just a side product of the true marvel of mother nature,and the mountain giving back what it took so many years before!!..Great bit of forensic detective work as well! Anyway,thanks for the story Stereologist,..and remember.... Be carefull when you're off treasure hunting in the mountains!!.. :tu:

Posted (edited)

i have a great video podcast about this case on my ipod touch....great story....i think it was a government cover-up....a testing of new weapons....

Edited by JonathanVonErich

Did they have a form of flare gun in that age?

Couldnt the orange things that were seen simply be a flare they let off before they panicked etc?

The main thing here is that if you're going to die as everyone does when their life ends, dying mysteriously is a good way to die.

1 person likes this

Hello guys,

Im new here and I search little my new forum to find out what do you think about one of the most scariest mystery that I know . I realize that no one started topic about this or I didn’t searched very well.

So…Maybe this thread should be in Ufos…However…

On 2 February 1959 nine ski hikers died in Ural mountains. Even until today Russians don’t know what killed nine ski hikers. The official statement of Russian government was that they died from “Compelling force”. Leader of the group was Igor Dyatlov, experienced ski hiker. On January 27 they started their trip from place called Vizhai. They were marching to Oroten mountain. On 1 February they start moving trough pass, which is now known as Dytalov pass, but somehow experienced ski hikers lost their direction and when they realize that, they decided not to going back but to set camp. They set camp on slopes of mountain Kholat-Syakhl. Which means Mountain of the Dead. Then all nine ski hikers died as Soviets later said from unknown compelling force.

Since they didn’t returned as except on February 20 rescue operation started. On February 26 they find theirs tent which was damaged. Close to the forest searchers find first two ski hikers. They were dead.They had only underwear. Between forest and their camp searchers found three more corpses. One of them was Dyatlov. It is also interesting that they were found separately at distance at 300, 480 and 630 meters from the first two corpses. Investigation of first five found victims shows that they died from Hypotermia. One of them had head injury but that injury wasn’t crucial.

Two months later other four ski hikers were found .The medical investigation of others four bodies was surprising. Three of them have died from fatal injuries. One have skull damage others two have chest damage. However there was no external wounds. More surprising that one girl Dubanina was found without her tongue. (New theory : that is not true) The ski hikers footprints was only visible. There was not any sign of battle. Later doctors told that injuries diffidently was not man made. High radiation contamination was found on some victims clothes. (New theory : that is not true). Relatives claim that victims skin had orange tan.

Also interesting thing that traces from their camp suggest us that all members left camp on own accord. Why experienced ski hikers left their camp in hurry stays unknown mystery. What happened?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

http://infodjatlov.narod.ru/fg4/index.htm

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/1562/the_dyatlov_pass_incident.html

And this is my favorite part: 50 kilometers distance from their camp, group of ski hikers saw strange orange lights in the sky in direction of Mountain of dead. At same night when Dyatlov group died. And not just them. Those strange orange lights seen many people in that area in March 1959. There was speculation that area of incident was rich with some rare metal. (This reminds me on Hessdalen. Some scientists believe that strange lights over Hessdalen were ,somehow, attracted by scandium http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195037 )

There was few theories. Avalanche, secret Soviet weapon ,some kind of Yeti ,natural unknown sonic phenomena ,ufo ,toxic air.Some of them you can find here.

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_2.html

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_answers.html

So any thoughts?

Mr. L

I think UM had already a topic about Dyatlov, but it's ok...

Here is the link to a great video about the case :

Mr. L

I think UM had already a topic about Dyatlov, but it's ok...

Here is the link to a great video about the case :

Where is that thread?

I reckon they just stumbled across an old Soviet dumping site for waste (hence the radioactivity) and scavengers got at their corpses (hence the lack of tongues).

I reckon they just stumbled across an old Soviet dumping site for waste (hence the radioactivity) and scavengers got at their corpses (hence the lack of tongues).

What about injuries?

L

It was in the crypto, legends section. Already 9 pages of discussion.

link

L

It was in the crypto, legends section. Already 9 pages of discussion.

link

Oh I see.I search forum and didnt give me any results. :blink:

EDIT: My mistake. I used search this forum instead searh forum. I apologize to all.

Edited by the L

Hey don't apologise my friend, it's ok, sorry if i was a pain in the ass, i simply wanted to help you, the other thread about Dyatlov is great, have a lot of different opinions, very good thread.

In my opinion they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the Government was testing new weapons and new military material, then they had no choice but eliminate the hikers. Only my opinion.

Hey don't apologise my friend, it's ok, sorry if i was a pain in the ass, i simply wanted to help you, the other thread about Dyatlov is great, have a lot of different opinions, very good thread.

In my opinion they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the Government was testing new weapons and new military material, then they had no choice but eliminate the hikers. Only my opinion.

No it is okay. I bring old news. Why new thread since we have five Dyatlov pass threads?! It is not that I have my/new theory.

Well I think that I search at the wrong place at wrong time. Ofcourse I will read those others Dyatlov threads.

Edited by the L

Is it true that one of them (Yuri Yudin) survived??

Is it true that one of them (Yuri Yudin) survived??

Yes, Yury Yudin survived. Yudin fell ill near Vizhai, the last settlement before the mountain, and was left behind.

What about injuries?

How old are the injuries? They could be pre-existing or resulting from a horror days climbing.

The missing tongue could have been eaten by animals.... its soft tissue and thats what they look for. Also soft tissue decomposes first...

The radiation levels are not big AFAIK could be background fallout

The thing that interests me the most.... is why slash open the tent from inside with a knife, and go naked on -18

Why not open the tent regular way? they were in a hurry. What was chasing them?

EDIT: they also regroup later and exchange clothes

Edited by SolarPlexus

Thread merged with the existing one

I tend to go with the avalanche scenario, but only if they pitched their tents on a fairly steep slope. As yet i haven't come across enough photos of the area to get a good idea of the gradients and contours around the campsite.

Hey Solar good questions.

I think that reason why they left tent in hurry is real mystery. There are countless theories and they all are unrealistic to me. Some animal could not scare them since there were only Dytalov group’s tracks. Maybe there was small avalanche and Dyatlov and Co. run to the woods to wait larger avalanche. But every hiker knows that you can’t avoid avalanche running downhill so I wouldn’t say it was avalanche. Or maybe they really saw strange orange lights and they panicked. 50 kilometers from incident other group of hikers saw strange orange lights near the Dyatlov pass.( Is it possible that they have torch?)Also it is possible that they had fight between them. Maybe ripped tent was the proof of that theory. Maybe two of most experienced hikers Dyatlov and Zolotarev start fighting. Anyway let’s say that reason why they left tent is unknown for now. And one more thing is it possible that when they left camp some animal ripped tent searching for food?

When they left tent they set a fire near wood. This doesn’t seem to me like they panicked. This is a clear-head act. Interesting. First two victims founded I think that also died first (of hypothermia). And others took their clothes. That’s why they were in underwear. None of nine ski hikers was fully dressed but idea that they undress theirself is 25%-50% possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxical_undressing#Paradoxical_undressing. Now why did they split into two groups? Or did they split into the groups after all? If they split into the groups I think that’s because Dyatlov and other two wanted to get to the tent and Zolotarev wanted that they continue march into woods. Maybe they fight start here not into tent . Or maybe they agree to split into two groups guided by most experienced hikers. Second theory is that they all together continue march into woods(Most likely).I also heard that they left supplies in previous camp so if that s true we actually know where did they went from the place where first two hikers died.

75 meter from there, three of four hikers were injured from “unknown force”. Lets say that all 7 went together then there were three injured hikers plus one with minor head injury. That’s explains injury on the head of victim founded between camp and pile with Dyatlov. Dyatlov and two others (one with minor head injury) run back to the camp but they didn’t make it. They all died of hypothermia. What made those injuries? Avalanche that broke skull and ribs must be really big avalanche and why Russian investigator didn’t conclude that? Why investigators didn’t found more signs of avalanche? Because it was not. Also how investigators thought that Dubninas tongue was eaten by some small animal since there were no tracks except from original group? Maybe she eats her tongue. It is interesting that searchers found Dubnina in clothes from first two victims and Zolotarev with her coat. It shows us that Dubnina died before Zolotarev and he took her coat (on which was found traces of radiation).Orange skin and radiation didn’t happen according to Russians. If did happened Ufo theory is most likely theory IMO.

@Waymarker here you are

http://i37.tinypic.com/11h71bo.jpg

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=25093

http://pereval1959.narod.ru/foto/chern.jpg

@Wearer of hats

I doubt that someone will proceed his march with 12 broken ribs or with crushed skull. Also who would leave his wounded fellow and mantain route.

Edited by the L

I'm sure every aspect of this case has already been discussed but I'm too lazy to read all 10 pages, so apologies if I repeat something that's already been said.

Anyway, I think most of this is pretty explainable as many of you have already mentioned. Their lack of clothing and odd behavior could be due to hypothermia, the missing tongue due to animals, etc. In my opinion the government probably was involved and there could have been some kind of weapon being tested. The thing that I found most intriguing though, was their other injuries. From Wikipedia:

"the body of Thibeaux-Brignolle had major skull damage, and both Dubunina and Zolotarev had major chest fractures. The force required to cause such damage would have been extremely high, with one expert comparing it to the force of a car crash. Notably, the bodies had no external wounds, as if they were crippled by a high level of pressure."

This could be due to some sort of weapon (if there was one) but it's still pretty mysterious.