Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nibiru is a hoax

cartoast

From the great source that is, Wikipedia!

Are you going to dispute that the mass of the asteroid belt is small?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stereologist

• TheSearcher

• Agent. Mulder

• bigdaddyinge

ok.. I'll bite... is it possible for a very LARGE Comet to have an orbit so large that it would bring it into proximity with earth about every 3600 years? ..... i'm just trying to think of a possible explanation for a major cosmic event that might be 'remembered' as having occurred in 3600 year increments. ?? ..see what i mean ?

Edited by lightly

Comets can have long periods even longer than 3600 years. They aren't that massive so they could go undetected from gravitational studies of the known planets. But there are missions looking for objects such as comets. Some are ground based observatories and others are in space.

Comets can have long periods even longer than 3600 years. They aren't that massive so they could go undetected from gravitational studies of the known planets. But there are missions looking for objects such as comets. Some are ground based observatories and others are in space.

ah.. thanks stereologist. I suspected some might have immense orbits... i'm wondering if an exceptionally LARGE comet might be on some orbit that might possibly bring it Alarmingly ! close to earth. say... every 3600 years? .. just a thought.

I'm not aware of such a situation. Don't you think that there would be historical accounts of such an event? Are you expecting this comet to close now or say in the next few years? If so where is it? Why haven't the sky surveys detected it? Even if there were a large comet as you suggest how big do you mean by large? It seems as if this is an exercise in fantasy rather than a exercise in understanding a particular situation.

Are you going to dispute that the mass of the asteroid belt is small?

No it's nothing to do with the stat..

It's the fact that I have seen a lot of posts by a lot of people trying to debunk posts, when they post all these stats but never back anything up. So then on paper it seems both arguments are just theories. It should be a given that if you stick a stat in a forum arguing a point then you should have to back it up. Whether it's a load of cack or not, you still need to reference, otherwise anyone could make up anything and expect people to take them at their word.

From what I have read, I believe that the asteroid belt was originally part of earth, as was the moon, which was broken off with some kind of collision. Thus explaining the breaking up of Pangea and poss the dinosaur extinction.

But yeah, my argument was not with you, or your point. Just a release of stacked up grievance with un-referenced 'facts'.

I'm not aware of such a situation. Don't you think that there would be historical accounts of such an event? Are you expecting this comet to close now or say in the next few years? If so where is it? Why haven't the sky surveys detected it? Even if there were a large comet as you suggest how big do you mean by large? It seems as if this is an exercise in fantasy rather than a exercise in understanding a particular situation.

Thanks stereologist, ..more of an "exercise" in asking a question is all. I was simply wondering if ,over time, people's thinking may have morphed a "historical account" of the passing of a large comet into this supposed Nibiru event... see?

I know nothing about our abilities to detect comets ... you seem to be suggesting that "sky surveys" would have detected a large comet two years from a close encounter with Earth... ok..i guess i can forget my comet is nibiru thought.... just looking for an explanation ... btw.. haven't there been references made to this supposed Nibiru event before Sitchen was born?

From the great source that is, Wikipedia!

It's always a good idea to check the references and external links at the end of a wiki page.

There are like 83 references, so wehave something to do before we judge the article.

Btw, personally I think the asteroid belt is what was left of Discworld because it had much less mass as a normal shaped planet......

paul_kidby_discworld.jpg

btw.. haven't there been references made to this supposed Nibiru event before Sitchen was born?

The idea that myth is history begins at least with Velikovsky. The problem is that the suggested events do not work out when tested with physics. The result has to match laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

Whole sky surveys look over the entire sky or close to it. You can imagine that the result is not as detailed as Hubble images, but everything down to a certain brightness is seen. The Google sky images are from the Sloan survey. There is the LINEAR survey. It looks for changes between images. The changes are objects that are close to us and appear to move against the background of stars that are so far away they appear to be fixed in the sky. Comets and near earth smaller objects are detected. Mark Brown at Caltech is on a mission to find things farther out in the Kuiper belt. He has detected over 100 objects. These are beyond the orbit of Neptune. He'll finish his Kuiper belt survey in 6 years or so. Lots of people are looking with lots of instruments and finding all sorts of things. I think over 100,000 asteroids have been detected.

"Nibiru is a hoax"...Whew!

Can I come out of my cave yet?

Smugfish you have outdone yourself in word salad today. The mass of the asteroids is just 4% of the moon. Doesn't really make for a planet does it? The "blasted AWAY" silliness added to gas giants sweeping up the mess is really funny.

I can see the aliens cops talking now, "OK folks, nothing to see. Just your basic average planet implosion from left over industrial anti-iron. Keep moving. Nothing to see here."

What about the combined mass of the Oort cloud??? Wouldn't this equal a big rocky planet in size?

That is an excellent question Smugfish. What can be said is that no one knows the mass of the Oort cloud or how many objects are in it. A lot of that material is definitely far out there. In about 5 or 6 years Brown at Caltech will complete his Kuiper belt survey. That should give an idea of what may be farther out. Right now he has found several hundred objects. The largest is Sedna which I think is around 4% of the mass of the moon. Maybe there is a moon's mass known in the Kuiper belt right now seeing that 100 objects have been found and most of those are much smaller than Sedna. Our moon is about 1% of the Earth's mass. Brown is about half done with his survey. Maybe the Kuiper belt will yield 2% of the Earth's mass when the survey is done. The distribution of mass of the objects can tell us about what else might lie out there.

It's a fascinating question. Remember that my computations here are based on fairly scanty information from a partially completed survey.

You might be interested in this article.

Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

This is an idea that there might be something bigger than Jupiter out there about 1/3 of a light year away.

That is an excellent question Smugfish. What can be said is that no one knows the mass of the Oort cloud or how many objects are in it. A lot of that material is definitely far out there. In about 5 or 6 years Brown at Caltech will complete his Kuiper belt survey. That should give an idea of what may be farther out. Right now he has found several hundred objects. The largest is Sedna which I think is around 4% of the mass of the moon. Maybe there is a moon's mass known in the Kuiper belt right now seeing that 100 objects have been found and most of those are much smaller than Sedna. Our moon is about 1% of the Earth's mass. Brown is about half done with his survey. Maybe the Kuiper belt will yield 2% of the Earth's mass when the survey is done. The distribution of mass of the objects can tell us about what else might lie out there.

It's a fascinating question. Remember that my computations here are based on fairly scanty information from a partially completed survey.

You might be interested in this article.

Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

This is an idea that there might be something bigger than Jupiter out there about 1/3 of a light year away.

Gee thanks for the compliment and especially the link. Too much to take in all in one go. I need to digest this new proposal. Thanks again.

I don't think you have to equate Niribu with 2012. The strange wandereing sister planet of Earth is a likely reality imo. I believe that a planetary IMPLOSION spat out the hard 'icore' debris after iron/anti-iron annihilation, which by chance, was projected towards the inner rocky planets, Earth being one. The remainder of the rock now circles as the asteroid belt past Mars, the gas and lighter material was blasted AWAY from the sun, adding to the gas giants we now see today. It's possible that early human civilisations were aware this wandering 'planet', assuming it's orbital year is around the ball park figure of 3000 years or so.

Well this proves it isn't real, you know, apart from the complete lack of of the planet and any evidence of it.

From what I have read, I believe that the asteroid belt was originally part of earth, as was the moon, which was broken off with some kind of collision. Thus explaining the breaking up of Pangea and poss the dinosaur extinction.

Why Earth, considering that the asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter?

Why Earth, considering that the asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter?

I will get slated for this, but I think there are a few different versions.

A Sitchin theory is that Earth used to be the 5th planet (Tiamat) from the Sun but a collision with something (comet/planet or otherwise) knocked it into the position it is in now. Which to me, fits in with a fair few theories that I have read.

The breaking of Pangea being one of them, and another was something I read a while ago. (This contradicts what I moaned about earlier - backing up statements - and for that I apologise) It was an article on flying creatures the size of some of the dinosaurs would need less gravity to be able to find flight, yet we know these flying creatures to be fact and a planet further out would have less gravity.

It is said that the pieces of Tiamat that broke off formed the Moon and the asteroid belt.

*EDIT* Also, Bode's Law is said to prove there should be a planet where the asteroid belt should be. http://milan.milanovic.org/math/english/titius/titius.html

Edited by PaoloWillente

The search for a simple arithmetic law describing the distribution of the planets was a long sought numerological structure to the solar system. It is not important or relevant to the structure of the solar system. The dynamics of the system are described by gravity. The stability of the current system does not indicate that any other planet exists or orbits within the orbits of the known planets. Studies show that no new planets can exist within the 320AU of the sun. The asteroid belt and mass of the Kuiper belt objects combined is not enough to make a planet.

Sitchin is a rube when it comes to astronomy, physics, and ancient text translations.

and a planet further out would have less gravity.

The distance a planet is from the the sun does not affect the weight an object experiences on the surface of the planet.

I will get slated for this, but I think there are a few different versions.

A Sitchin theory is that Earth used to be the 5th planet (Tiamat) from the Sun but a collision with something (comet/planet or otherwise) knocked it into the position it is in now. Which to me, fits in with a fair few theories that I have read.

The breaking of Pangea being one of them, and another was something I read a while ago. (This contradicts what I moaned about earlier - backing up statements - and for that I apologise) It was an article on flying creatures the size of some of the dinosaurs would need less gravity to be able to find flight, yet we know these flying creatures to be fact and a planet further out would have less gravity.

It is said that the pieces of Tiamat that broke off formed the Moon and the asteroid belt.

*EDIT* Also, Bode's Law is said to prove there should be a planet where the asteroid belt should be. http://milan.milanovic.org/math/english/titius/titius.html

dont listen to anything sitchin says.

and the only thing the earth may have collided with is a planetesimal, which resulted in the moon. and its about the same age as the earth.

and what about pangea?

but, as stated already, distance has no effect on gravitational force on the planet.

Sci-fi books about it aplenty, fiction authors like Von Däniken and Sitchin make their money with it. As to the movie, seen it, still trying to uncringe from it. Baaaaad djudju.

you just said ficton authors wait til the crazies i mean the believers see that

Ok, I have to pipe up now with my opinion ..

So.. I went to the NASA website and typed in "Nibiru" and this is what I found

NASA Link

[/color][/font][/color]

so, Nibiru is the size of pluto.

interesting.

I sincerely hope it's Nibiru and not an alien mothership. The latter not being theoretically impossible.

edit

A mothership in orbit at the edge of our solar system? It wasn't there before.

Edited by Halaster

I sincerely hope it's Nibiru and not an alien mothership. The latter not being theoretically impossible.

edit

A mothership in orbit at the edge of our solar system? It wasn't there before.

its neither of what you think it is.

Didn't you know? Chile, South Africa, and Australia (just to name a few countries on the southern hemisphere with astronomical observatories) are all part of the global conspiracy to hide Nibiru.

....sigh.........

You mentioned the most developed countries of the Southern Hemisphere, although Brazil and Argentina, as well the prosperous New Zealand can be mentioned. Also these nations have high UFO reports per capita per population. I sense an alien race flying on UFOs are examining low human inhabited, but rapidly growing and high development index areas and observe nuclear weapons development under the British in the Australian deserts. The UFO activity in South Africa and South America may be a link to human history and the advanced Incas' record of frequent visitations from "space gods" in the Andes.

This thread is about the hoax suggesting an incoming planet which is demonstrably impossible and you bring in UFOs? Abramelin was pointing out that you can't sneak to the earth by flying at the South Pole. If they see more than the South Pole, then whatever they see can see them.

Got any evidence of "space gods" in the Andes other than von Danikens delusions?