Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women prefer feminine men, new research says

Still Waters

British women now prefer feminine looking men over their more rugged counterparts because they no longer need to worry about the survival of the fittest, new research suggests.

Historically women chose manly men because features such as a square jaw, low brow and thin lips were linked to superior genes which would produce stronger and healthier offspring.

But the choice came at a cost – as the more masculine the man, the less likely he was to help out nurturing his child.

Now researchers believe that improvements in health care in wealthy western countries mean women do not have to worry about so much about the quality of their offspring – and so are picking more feminine looking men.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNibs

• Marby

• TSS

• _Nyx_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uhh... No thanks. If I wanted to be with someone feminine, I'd be a lesbian.

^ lol, that made me laugh!

You can get masculine men that are still caring without being feminine, I am always sceptical of all this 'research' as it will always come down to personal preference...before i met my wife i certainly didnt go out on the pull, look a hot lass over and say "yeas she has strong cheek bones and child bearing hips.....i think i'll go for her" I went for the cutie :D

I remember years ago(before getting married) I went out with women who asked the wildest things as we were getting to know each other. I had one woman who asked me if I had hair on my chest...I told her I do...she said that she didn't date guys with chest hair...it made me laugh because all I could think was that she must date either A) 12 year olds, or B ) women. Needless to say that didn't work for me...I am a guy...my wife jokes that I am straight out of a Louis L'Amour book; tall, broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hips and a 5'oclock shadow that shows up right on time. That being said, I like a woman who looks like a woman...who has curves in all the right places...

Looking at what passes for heart throbs for girls these days, I can see that there are a lot of feminine men that are all the rage, and to me it is stunning...some of them look like prepubescent girls. But now guys are allowed to be more feminine and do things that were not acceptable in years past. Gender lines are being blurred more than they ever have.

Edited by Fluffybunny

I find overly feminine men thoroughly unattractive. Like that little Zac Efron guy... what is that all about? Girls like this?

If a guy looks as though I could take him in a fight, I am not interested.

Yeah, I have to disagree with this "study". I'm always one of those people who finds the beauty inside, rather than outside. A guy could be completely "gorgeous" on the outside, but if he's a jerk, to me he's ugly, and I won't take a second look. And vice-versa...he could be the hunchback no one likes, but if I see what's in his heart..well...you get it. LOL

My hubby is the 2nd of 5 boys, and only he and the 3rd boy (well, man, now LOL) are more bigger-built than their brothers. Without getting too much into it, here's why I fell in love with/married him...

* He was a gentleman - he held doors, waited until I was seated before he sat, tried not to curse in front of me (or any lady), etc...

* He was well-kept (well, except for his Kurt Cobain hair...but what can I say? He loved that kind of music, and was in a band)...

* He was bigger than me - basically, he looked like someone who could protect me from anything or anyone who tried to hurt me...big plus for me, as I'm 5'3", and at that time weighed somewhere around 115 lbs. LOL

* He treated his parents/family AND mine with respect, but was not afraid to stand up for himself, or anyone else being "stepped" on.

* Most important of all, he clearly showed that he cared a lot for me, and when we began dating, showed that he did indeed love me.

Honestly, his features weren't all that important to me, though they did help. Also, I thought I'd add...one of hubby's younger brothers has EVERY girl in their town drooling over him. Good-looking, "feminine" type and all, but because he's a world-class idiot most of the time, he's heading toward Single-Town...LOL But I love him - 'cuz he's my brother!

Edit, cuz I suck at grammar sometimes. Tee-hee.

Edited by SCARLET1

all I know is that women LOVE my lips, which are very full.

I won't lie... I like feminine looking men, but not emotionally feminine men. It's purely a looks thing. The guys I date are almost always tall, thin, long haired, and finely strong featured (strong cheek bones, narrow faced, full lipped). I big line-backer, square headed guy, guy does absolutely nothing for me.

My BF is prettier than I am! LOL

3552652253_66812d7764.jpg

Edited by MissMelsWell

I won't lie... I like feminine looking men, but not emotionally feminine men. It's purely a looks thing. The guys I date are almost always tall, thin, long haired, and finely strong featured (strong cheek bones, narrow faced, full lipped). I big line-backer, square headed guy, guy does absolutely nothing for me.

My BF is prettier than I am! LOL

3552652253_66812d7764.jpg

What a cute couple!

I don't think he looks feminine, really. To me, I suppose, it's different. I am not attracted to a brawny alpha male type, but neither do I find a guy like Zac Efron in any way attractive, and would choose the former over the latter if I had to choose at all.

I like a man that looks like a man. To me, that isn't about height, body hair, length of hair,or how much he can bench press. Elvis Presley was too pretty for my tastes when he was young, and until he aged a bit, so was Brad Pitt. If you look at the young Beatles, I would have been the one chasing Ringo instead of Paul. ;)

Of course, personality trumps all things.

Edited by Marby

I showed my wife this article, it made her shudder. Although to be fair she is a bit weird, when I used to work on site, i'd come home covered in brick dust, and knackered.....she wouldn't leave me alone, freaked me out a bit at first, literally pushing her away so I could have a shower.....used to it now, but it's still a bit odd to like someone who is covered in crap from a days work if you ask me. But she has her good points so I let it slide.. :ph34r:

Isn't this due to the 'Pill'?

As it tricks the body into thinking it's already pregnant, so women are not after the strong masculine type - which they would be when Ovulating - and so go after feminine men as they're the most likely to help rear a child. Because they look like women - and women rear the children (Evolutionary trait.)

I showed my wife this article, it made her shudder. Although to be fair she is a bit weird, when I used to work on site, i'd come home covered in brick dust, and knackered.....she wouldn't leave me alone, freaked me out a bit at first, literally pushing her away so I could have a shower.....used to it now, but it's still a bit odd to like someone who is covered in crap from a days work if you ask me. But she has her good points so I let it slide.. :ph34r:

There's a lot to be said for man sweat.

Don't ask.

Really.

Well this should make Dr Alien happy LOL

Bleh. I like men that look like men.

Hair on their chests. Don't use more hair product than I do. Willing to get dirty and not worry about their hair/clothes/nails.

Heck, I didn't want to date boys who looked 12 when I was twelve.

Real men. Yum.

Nibs

ETA_

Marby is right about man sweat and yeah, don't ask.

:)

Edited by HerNibs

Bleh. I like men that look like men.

Hair on their chests. Don't use more hair product than I do. Willing to get dirty and not worry about their hair/clothes/nails.

Heck, I didn't want to date boys who looked 12 when I was twelve.

Real men. Yum.

Nibs

ETA_

My wife is the same way...when I get home from the fire department after a long shift where I have been working a fire and am all sweaty she gets crazy...I always chalked it up to pheromones, but I am not sure. Seeing her all sweaty when she works out is amazingly sexy as well, so I guess it goes both ways.

Seeing her all sweaty when she works out is amazingly sexy as well, so I guess it goes both ways.

That is true, not that I have seen your wife working out LOL but you know what I mean.

:) My hubby agrees with both of you.

Nibs

Yep...definitely a huge thing for me, too. When hubby's gone to work on cars (his hobby he shares w/his bro), and comes home smelling like brake dust and general grease-monkey type stuff...*sighs* LOL

Then again, I'm a person who also likes the smell of gasoline, and other weird things....:ph34r:

this thread is turning into a 'sweat fetish anonymous' club :D

this thread is turning into a 'sweat fetish anonymous' club :D

My fault for mentioning it! :ph34r:

Although it's been refreshing to know the wife isn't a candidate for 'freak or unique'.

Edited by Scanner.....

^ darn you...

You know what I was getting at cheeky monkey :D

^ darn you...

You know what I was getting at cheeky monkey :D

I just couldn't resist... sort of like man sweat. ;)

We're not anonymous. ;)

:) Nope,loud and proud!!!

dirtyjobs410alpacashearer02.jpg

Yummm.

Don't need hard as rock abs, don't need designer anything, don't need perfectly coiffed hair.

Just a real man.

Nibs