Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men prefer averagely shaped women

Mr Black

Unfortunately for your position, there are many studies (I don't want to find them, can we just agree that they are out there please?) that show specific patterns in attraction, which vary by economic status and wealth of the culture, are pretty consistent.

The united states and other countries that have a mix of people from other cultures are interesting in that we can possibly see a wide range of ideas of attraction, but they should change, and seem to have changed, as people adjust to the dominant culture.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS

• Marby

• Rosewin

• Moon Minion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yea, I think that's a good summation. Guys do it with more bravado, often. I think that, also, woman genuinly do find non-physical attributes to be more a factor than men do. But I think this is based in our biology, to some extent. It's very fascinating, don't you agree?

It is fascinating. Men do generally seem to go for physical appearance above all, sadly lol, while women seem more appealed to how well the man can provide. Like an unattractive man with a large bank account may still acquire a beautiful woman, because to compensate for his lack of looks he can provide the financial security she wants.

But this is a broad generalization of coarse. People are all different with life experience, upbringing etc to craft their views.

There is no sort of template driving relationships in western society, which is being alluded to in the post you replied too. Relationships, and what drives attractiveness in an individual towards another are as varied as there are people on the planet, movitation behind any relationship can't be categorised in the simple terms being suggested.

Any attempt by someone to put a sweeping statement out making generalizations is just one man using his own experience to make his case for all cases, it simply doesn't work.

I think your both right in the sense. Some science/biology does play a part in all this I believe, but what you say is true also. We can only be defined up to a point, the rest of human nature is what makes us human, we are all unique, with experiences unique to us. Please don't think I was just agreeing willy-nilly...I have given this thought in the past. And I certainly don't disagree with you.

As I said before it is just a broad generalization.

Edited by Moon Minion

Just throwin this out there. I think Moon Minion is pretty darn cute ;)

Just throwin this out there. I think Moon Minion is pretty darn cute ;)

What?!!! OMG Blush alert... :blush::blush::blush:

I think you are adorable to Silver thong, damn you for making me go all mushy!

Unfortunately for your position, there are many studies (I don't want to find them, can we just agree that they are out there please?) that show specific patterns in attraction, which vary by economic status and wealth of the culture, are pretty consistent.

The united states and other countries that have a mix of people from other cultures are interesting in that we can possibly see a wide range of ideas of attraction, but they should change, and seem to have changed, as people adjust to the dominant culture.

Studies in economic and cultural patterns are not what I was talking about, and it isn't what you was talking about either in your first comment about people setting their standard by what they can 'get'.

Any example given, like the one you gave about someone who has been hurt before, thereby avoiding relationships with people of similiar looks - well the opposite is also true. In any example given, the opposite is also true.

So I stand by my original point, which was in answer to your original points - there is no template by which individuals find other individuals attractive, it is unique to the people in question, and encompass a whole raft of scenarios and issues.

Edit - more and more people are living single lives, more then ever before, and the number is growing - that would also fly in the face of the idea that a majority of people settle for 'second best'.

Edited by Scanner.....

I think your both right in the sense. Some science/biology does play a part in all this I believe, but what you say is true also. We can only be defined up to a point, the rest of human nature is what makes us human, we are all unique, with experiences unique to us. Please don't think I was just agreeing willy-nilly...I have given this thought in the past. And I certainly don't disagree with you.

As I said before it is just a broad generalization.

That's cool. I wasn't being funny with you anyway, just giving another point of view, that's all. :)

I think it's cute how guys pretend to be most interested in the type that they can "get."

I am in total agreement and of course there are always going to be exceptions to the rule but as a general rule I agree. From common observation I have seen those less attractive hate on those more attractive and it does indeed seem like they 'harbor resentment to the "type" that rejected' from past experience.

I will also add how one thread was full of fantasy men to appeal to a certain group while this one was about trying to make a certain group feel better about themselves. Seems like a double standard but mind you not all the females (or males) had this attitude. To be honest everyone has something beautiful about themselves but not everyone is at the same level of physical beauty. That is just the way it is and there is nothing wrong with preferring what attracts you.

I am picky as to who I have a relationship with, as that is based on far more than just physical attraction. I do tend to sleep with women that I wouldn't have a relationship with though. I find something attractive in almost every woman. But there are some universal truths as to what men in modern developed societies find attractive.

Agreed.

Oh and i suppose your a six pack carrying perfect 'male model' like creature, all those women must be really lucky to have spent bed time with you :w00t:

I am so far from the ideal of male physical beauty but that has not stopped me from attracting (yes it is a verb, you have to work at it) what I preferred. It has also not caused me to downgrade what I believe to be my own performance. I am worth it but that does not mean I am going to give myself to everyone I find hawt or that wants me in return unlike some other guys.

I got standards and indeed if a woman is not attractive enough it is doubtful we could have moved passed the friend stage onto a romantic one. If they did not have the right attitude then it was also doubtful. My wife understands this and also told me I had to have certain qualifications to appeal to her from the get go. It is not shallow to know what you like and to be confident about yourself.

Yes. IN a sense. We want to feel comfortable and secure. Those of us who are not safe and secure with a very physically attractive partner, or cannot obtain one, still need companionship, sex, intimacy, securtity, partnership, etc. etc. So what we do is become attracted on a different level to who can fulfill those needs. But when someone claims that they dont' find someone attractive who is universally considered so, it is often these other factors coming into play, IMO.

We also may harbor resentment to the "type" that rejected us in the past. And there are tons of other psychological factors that come into play. But often, I believe, it is a nearly a matter of survival to convince ourselves that we are most attracted to a certain type, when on a primitive level, we really are attracted to something else. If that was not the case, we would not have survived so long as a species, IMO.

QFT

Edited by Rosewin

My grandmother has always shared these words of widsom when it comes to attraction:

"If it doesn't go through here (points at her eye), it won't go through here (points...uh...elsewhere)"

You have to be physically attracted to someone to be with them. It's not the only factor, but it is still an important one. That's not shallow, that's just reality.

From common observation I have seen those less attractive hate on those more attractive and it does indeed seem like they 'harbor resentment to the "type" that rejected' from past experience.

I genuinely find that interesting. I would have been about 18 or 19 I think when I fell for a girl who just didn't want to know - she was stunning, about 5'3", slim, short blonde hair...she just blew me away. She didn't want to know though, and boy did I try, it certainly never stopped me trying with similiar looking girls though, one was almost identical and we were in a relationship for a about a year, the second was very similiar too, and we were seeing each other on and off for quite a few years - more friends with benefits if you like, as we were both in other relationships, so it suited us both that way.

I guess we are all wired differently, I'd never let a set back put me off a certain type of (well anything) in life, what a waste.

Personally I love healthy women. That does not exactly mean skinny. You can be skinny and athletic, That is Hot. You can be average and athletic, That is Hot. Hell you can be overweight and athletic (it happens) and That too is HOT!

Awww, thank you. :blush:

Wow just checked your profile, I totally agree with that damned cute statement!! :yes:

Edited by zenfahr

Wow just check your profile, I totally agree with that damned cute statement!! :yes:

Thank you... I'm seriously blushing now. :lol::blush:

:w00t: :w00t: :blush:

So, how bout that Man U.?

Nyx, I'm so stealing that... that sandbox line is great!

Edited by Marby

I totally don't play in that particular sandbox, but Marby is adorable ^_^

ditto.

:)

Nibs

the overwhelming majority of men would find sofia vergara attractive. she is almost cartoon like. in a sense, a perfect physical specimin.

I remember Sofia Vergara from episodes of Fuera De Serie.

Back then Thalia was my favorite celebrity.

I just love the novelas. I do miss those.It had to be said. I never watched Fuera De Serie, though.

Edited by Marby

Ya I kinda used to watch some novelas for a while too lol but they are definitely seen one you seen them all, poor girl meets rich guy and ends up rich at the end (my wife adds in: but she was always rich and ends up being the daughter of somebody but was taken away from her family by an evil person and was raised by somebody poor.)

Edited by Rosewin