Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

200lbs Wolf

Kml

wolfshotinbellevue.jpg

This was shot in Bellevue, Ohio. This thing is just massive, the guy who shot it, said there was two more with it that were the same size. It's pretty interesting...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Drago

• Drunkenparrot

• -MiDAS-

wolfshotinbellevue.jpg

This was shot in Bellevue, Ohio. This thing is just massive, the guy who shot it, said there was two more with it that were the same size. It's pretty interesting...

Very interesting. If a creature that size made it all the way to current times, I can only imagine what kind of sizes were around a few hundred years ago. The fact that there were two others begs the question of whether this is an entirely new species of wolf previously undiscovered, or just the artifact of coincidental selective breeding that resulted in gargantuan wolf sizes.

wolfshotinbellevue.jpg

I agree that was a big wolf.

I googled the incident and according to the article I read the guy who bagged it was clearly within the law however I'm unconvinced that killing the animal was necessary and the correct option.

He says he shot the animal for protection. "My neighbors have small kids, and I have kids," he said. "I felt that it didn't need to be around."

I think somebody wanted bragging rights with a wolf pelt hanging on the wall more than being motivated to abate a public nuisance.

My two cents...

I think somebody wanted bragging rights with a wolf pelt hanging on the wall more than being motivated to abate a public nuisance.

The reasoning was still sound though. A wolf this size comfortable enough with people to be out in the open so close to them, anywhere near a place with children, is not a situation that could end any kind of well. He did the right thing, the reasoning behind it is secondary.

Looks like pictur of a normal sized wolf up close to the camera. Matter of perspective, like hogzilla.

Very interesting. If a creature that size made it all the way to current times, I can only imagine what kind of sizes were around a few hundred years ago. The fact that there were two others begs the question of whether this is an entirely new species of wolf previously undiscovered, or just the artifact of coincidental selective breeding that resulted in gargantuan wolf sizes.

Indeed, it really makes you wonder how big some of the animals today could have been thousands of years ago. Like sharks, the Maglidon (I think that it's name) was said to be a few hundred feet long in the pre historic age.

Edited by Arson

Indeed, it really makes you wonder how big some of the animals today could have been thousands of years ago. Like sharks, the Maniton (I think that it's name) was said to be a few hundred feet long in the pre historic age.

The only giant shark that existed was the Megalodon, and it got to be upwards of 60 feet.

Some animals were bigger, sure, like cave bears. Some were smaller, like horses.

This pic is just a matter of perspective, the wolf is close in to the camera.

The largest wolf known to have been killed by a hunter in modern times was somewhere in Bulgaria, and it weighed 80kg (176 pounds), so a 200 pound wolf isn't THAT far out of question.

The last time I was in Alaska, I went to a museum down in Homer; they had a display of a stuffed wolf that was huge. Its shoulders were at my hip level, and I am 6 feet tall. The museum wolf was supposed to be in the 175 pound range.

The picture at hand is hard to tell; the 3 wheeler is not large, not like a modern quad(3 wheelers stopped getting made decades ago), and I am not sure of the model. If it is indeed a 50 or 125 cc bike, then the wolf is big, but not 200 pounds big.

With as few a wolves that are left in that area, it is kind of sad to see one get shot. If it is self defence that is one thing, but to have a trophy, I dont like that idea.

The reasoning was still sound though. A wolf this size comfortable enough with people to be out in the open so close to them, anywhere near a place with children, is not a situation that could end any kind of well. He did the right thing, the reasoning behind it is secondary.

Drago , you really need to educate yourself on Wolves....Everything you wrote above is wrong......Very wrong.....My credentials....Raised a wolf , and helped in a wolf sanctuary , and many years of research.....

I would like to shoot the guy who shot that poor soul....And not 200 lbs either , like it matters.....Trophy hunting is for pu&&y's......

The last time I was in Alaska, I went to a museum down in Homer; they had a display of a stuffed wolf that was huge. Its shoulders were at my hip level, and I am 6 feet tall. The museum wolf was supposed to be in the 175 pound range.

The picture at hand is hard to tell; the 3 wheeler is not large, not like a modern quad(3 wheelers stopped getting made decades ago), and I am not sure of the model. If it is indeed a 50 or 125 cc bike, then the wolf is big, but not 200 pounds big.

With as few a wolves that are left in that area, it is kind of sad to see one get shot. If it is self defence that is one thing, but to have a trophy, I dont like that idea.

Aye, trophy hunters are scum.

Drago , you really need to educate yourself on Wolves....Everything you wrote above is wrong......Very wrong.....My credentials....Raised a wolf , and helped in a wolf sanctuary , and many years of research.....

I would like to shoot the guy who shot that poor soul....And not 200 lbs either , like it matters.....Trophy hunting is for pu&&y's......

Wolves are predatory wild animals. Predatory wild animals plus children equals an eventual opportunity too good for them to pass up. We are always being warned that most wild animal attacks come from wild animals that have lost their fear of people. Bears used to being fed, wolves and coyotes used to sponging an easy meal - these are the more dangerous animals than their counterparts that maintain a healthy distance between them and human beings. Wolves and coyotes that have become comfortable enough around people to be out in the open within sight of a human home are a ticking time bomb, especially if that home contains small or medium-sized pets or children.

Wolves are predatory wild animals. Predatory wild animals plus children equals an eventual opportunity too good for them to pass up.

Wolves are also the least likely of America's large predators to attack and kill humans. They prefer to keep their distance, and many "wolf" attacks are actually feral dog, wolfdog, coyote, or coydog attacks mistakenly attributed to wolves (because wolves are big and "scary" and few people care enough to differentiate between them and every other wild canine out there.)

In fact, the only two verified instances of wild wolves killing humans in recent memory involved animals whose natural habits had been extremely disturbed (i.e. they had become used to eating from garbage dumps/cans, and were not wary in the presence of people,) and who may have been rabid to boot. They were not behaving normally, and so cannot be used as a measure by which to judge other wolves.

Really, you're more likely to be attacked and killed by a bear than a wolf (with an average of 3 human deaths per year, compared to the wolves' 2 human deaths per decade.) Using your logic, we ought to just go around killing every wild bear we see, because they "might" be a danger to people.

Wolves and coyotes that have become comfortable enough around people to be out in the open within sight of a human home are a ticking time bomb

Simply because they were spotted once, does not make them a danger. If this is the first time this animal (and its companions) were sighted in the area, it's pretty obvious to me that they were keeping clear of human habitations and not making it a habit to come too close.

This guy just strikes me as someone who wanted a nice trophy and/or bragging rights (since I'm not sure F&W would let him keep the pelt if the animal wasn't legally taken... but I'm not clear on that) as opposed to someone who was "doin it fer TEH CHILDRUNS" :rolleyes: The fact that he's clearly exaggerating the size of the animal kind of gives that away.

Edited by Black Coyote

Wolves are predatory wild animals. Predatory wild animals plus children equals an eventual opportunity too good for them to pass up. We are always being warned that most wild animal attacks come from wild animals that have lost their fear of people. Bears used to being fed, wolves and coyotes used to sponging an easy meal - these are the more dangerous animals than their counterparts that maintain a healthy distance between them and human beings. Wolves and coyotes that have become comfortable enough around people to be out in the open within sight of a human home are a ticking time bomb, especially if that home contains small or medium-sized pets or children.

If you can read the garbled copy/paste mess below.There are NO COMFIRMED wolf attacks in the Continental US.Below are all wolf attacks reported world wide since the 1920's.Alaska and Canada had a few , but , not confirmed 100% as a wolf....As I said , Wolves do not attack people , they hide , because some dumb **** Americans enjoy killing them....So , while we are at it , and developing more and more into the forest , let's kill all the predators , you never know , they might hurt someone.....Isn't it strange , we will let a murderer sit in a jail cell ,and pay for his heating and food , and tv , yet when some of us even think a animal just "might" hurt us ,we have no problem pulling the trigger?....Humans are so screwed up....Sad , very sad.

2010s

Name, age, gender Date Location, comments

Candice Berner, 32, female March 8, 2010 (discovered) Berner, a teacher and avid jogger, was found dead along a road near Chignik Lake, Alaska, a village about 475 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska. Snowmobilers found her mutilated body with wolf tracks in the adjacent snow. The Alaska State Medical Examiner ruled that her death was caused by "multiple injuries due to animal mauling."[29]

[edit]2000s

Security guard, Vladimir Paschkov, 40 6:00 am, February 18, 2009 Village of Siklyatz Duvanskogo, Urals. Paschkov was surprised by the wolf on a haystack in a dairy farm and attacked. Three women and another man rushed in with pitchforks and a shovel, and all were injured by the wolf. Paschkov bled to death, while the others were treated for injuries in hospital.[30]

Woman February 10, 2009 Village of Giorgitsminda, about 40 kilometres from Tbilisi, Georgia.[31]

10-year old boy January 10, 2009 Village of Zavod-Kyn in the administrative district of Lysjvensk in Perm region, Russia.[32]

8-year old boy April 6, 2006 Nakhodka, Eastern Russia. Two eight-year-old boys had approached the wolf enclosure in the Nakhodka Zoo, with one boy stretching out his hand to stroke the animals. One wolf bit the boy, and another seized hold of his leg. Although the child escaped, he died early the next morning.[33]

Kenton Joel Carnegie, 22, male November 8, 2005 Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Carnegie had gone for a walk and didn't return to the surveyors' camp where he was working. His body was found partially consumed in an area known to be frequented by four wolves which regularly fed on human refuse. The pathologist who performed the autopsy, testified Carnegie had lost about 25% to 30% of his body mass in the attack, with the top midsection to the thigh having been partially consumed.[34] Although originally the possibility that the culprit was an American Black Bear was not ruled out, a coroners' jury concluded after a two year inquiry that the attackers had indeed been wolves.[35][36]

Two people 2005 Khost province, Afghanistan. Occurred during what was considered the worst Afghan Winter in over a decade.[37]

Four people 2005 Naka, Paktia province, Afghanistan. Two victims were killed during trips to other villages.[37]

Two people Early February, 2005 Muinak district, western Uzbekistan.[38]

Homeless man January 2, 2005 Village of Vali-Asr, near the town of Torbat Heydariya, northeastern Iran. Wolves entering the village seeking refuge from harsh weather attacked an elderly homeless man in front of witnesses. Those witnessing the incident attempted to fight off the wolves, while waiting for police assistance. Police intervention never came, and the victim died.[39]

Three people Winter, 2003 Astrakhan Oblast, Russia.[40]

Three shepherds Winter, 2003 Sredneakhtubinsk district, Russia.[40]

[edit]1900s

Anand Kumar, 4, male 1996 Banbirpur, India. The wolf attacked Kumar whilst he, his two siblings and his mother were using the open ground for their toilet. When a police search party found the boy three days later, half a mile away, all that remained was his head.[41]

74 people, mostly prepubescent children 1996–1997 Uttar Pradesh, India.[8]

Patricia Wyman, 24, female April 18, 1996 Haliburton, Ontario. Ms. Wyman had been hired as a new caretaker of the wolves at the Haliburton forest and wildlife preserve. The 5 wolves involved in the attack had been raised in captivity all their lives, but had never been socialized with humans.[42]

Michael Amosov, 60, male February 21, 1996 Hamlet of Bolonitza, Zadrach, Belarus. Amosov disappeared whilst walking to Bolonitza from Zadrach through a forest. A search party followed his tracks and found an area of churned, bloodied snow surrounded by multiple wolf tracks.[43]

Woodcutter, 55, male December, 1995 Hvoschono, Belarus. Disappeared whilst working in a nearby forest. Two days later, a search party found his remains surrounded by wolf tracks.[43]

9-year old schoolgirl December, 1995 Usviatyda, Belarus. Disappeared whilst walking home from school. Her father searched for her and found her head surrounded by bloodied snow covered in wolf tracks.[43]

Unidentified female October, 1995 Village south of Voronezh, Russia. The woman was working on a cornfield, when the rabid female wolf attacked and bit her throat.[7]

Unidentified person 1995 Russian part of Karelia.[7]

60 children April 1993-April 1995 Bihar State, India. All the children were taken from settlements primarily during March to August between 17.00 and 19.00 hrs. There were more female victims (58%) than males and 89% were 3-11-yrs old. Of the 80 child casualties, only 20 were rescued.[44]

Alyshia Berzyck, 3, female June 3, 1989 Minnesota. Killed by a pet wolf on a chain.[45]

17 prepubescent children 1986 Ashta, India. Known as the Wolves of Ashta.[46]

Unidentified woman June 29, 1982 Near Dubrovna, Belarus. Bitten to death on the face, arms and legs by a rabid wolf.[7]

13 children, aged 4–10 years February-August 1981 Hazaribagh in the eastern Indian district of Bihar. Known as the Wolves of Hazaribagh.

Child, 2, male 1981 Ft. Wayne, Michigan. Lone wolf kept as a pet.[45]

Elderly woman Late August, 1979 Death occurred in Sinezerka.[7]

Unknown child 1978 Wheatland, Wyoming. Lone wolf kept as a pet.[45]

B. Mashakova March 30, 1972 Chelkarskij region, Kazakhstan. Rabid wolf.[7]

4 children 1957-74 Spain.[47]

Vitali Ushtinov, 5 years old July 11, 1952 1 km from Village of Karmanov. Vitali was attacked whilst picking berries and dragged into the forest.[7]

10-year old girl April 29, 1951 Near the village of Tarasovok, Orichevskij region. The girl was killed by a wolf whilst bathing in a creek with a friend.[7]

1 boy and 3 girls aged 3–6 years July-August, 1950 Lebyazhskij region.[7]

Svetlana Tueva November 17, 1948 Unspecified Soviet province. Svetlana was attacked by five wolves when she and her friends were walking home from school. The wolves dragged her a kilometre into the forest. All that was found was an overcoat.[7]

9 children aged 7–12 years July-August 1948 Darovskij region.[7]

Veniamina Fokina, 13 years old 1947 Village of Rusanov, Khalturinskij region.[7]

Anna Mikheeva, 16 years old 1947 Village of Chernyabevij, Khalturinskij region. Wolves attacked Anna and her mother, killing the former and dragging her into a forest. She was found partially eaten and with a broken neck.[7]

Pimma Molchanova, 5 years old May 8, 1945 Village of Shilyavo, Kirovskaya Oblast, Russia. Pimma was washing goloshas in a stream with a 7-year old friend, when a wolf caught her and her friend's screaming alerted the villagers. Her body was found 500 metres away. The wolf had bitten through her throat and eaten her thigh muscles.[7]

Maria Berdnikovu, 17 years old 29 April 1945 Village of Golodaevshchina, Kirovskaya Oblast. Maria and her sister were working 50 meters from a cattle yard near a mansion. The wolf grabbed her by the throat and carried her off, followed by peasants. The wolf scaled a 1-meter fence and dropped its victim 200 meters into the forest.[7]

36 children 1944-63 Kirov region, Russia.[47]

Maria Polyakova, 16 years old November 19, 1944 B. Ramenskij, Kirovskaya Oblast. Two wolves killed her whilst on the way to work.[7]

Musinovu Tamaru, 14 years old November 12, 1944 Kirovskaya Oblast. Nine wolves involved.[7]

Perfilova, 8 years old November 6, 1944 Kirovskaya Oblast. Killed and eaten by a wolf pack on the road to a collective farm.[7]

Valya Starikova, 13 years old September 21, 1944 Village of Goldaevshchina, Kirovskaya Oblast. The wolf carried her into a forest. Only pieces of her shoes were found.[7]

5 children 1937 Poland.[47]

95 people 1926 Districts of Bareilly and Pilibhit, United Provinces, India.[20]

10 people 1924 Kirov. Perpetrators were two rabid wolves.[7]

Trapper and two Natives 1922 Ontario. When a trapper did not return to the post office as promised, two natives were sent to find him. All three were killed by wolves.[23]

Ben Cochrum April, 1922 Ontario. Fisher river on Lake Winnipeg. The victims' bones were found on April 17 among the remains of 11 wolves. Seven had been shot and four clubbed to death. Only when his rifle stock smashed did the trapper cease to fight and succumb to the wolf pack.[48]

James Smith March 4, 1910 Waterloo, Iowa. Wolves attacked him whilst he was alone in a wood, waiting for the return of his brother. When the latter returned he found his brother's bones. In the center of a circle of five dead wolves, was an empty repeating rifle, showing that he had been overpowered before he could reload his weapon.[48]

Edited by Sakari

Wolves are also the least likely of America's large predators to attack and kill humans. They prefer to keep their distance, and many "wolf" attacks are actually feral dog, wolfdog, coyote, or coydog attacks mistakenly attributed to wolves (because wolves are big and "scary" and few people care enough to differentiate between them and every other wild canine out there.)

From Drunkenparrot's article on the topic:

"Sandusky County State Wildlife Officer Brian Bury says the animals are likely 95 percent wolf and 5 percent dog and were once privately owned as exotic animals. "These are not animals that have migrated here," he said. "These are animals that unfortunately have escaped or have been released from wherever they were being housed."

and

"It is not, however, illegal to own a wolf as long as it is mixed with dog."

Using your logic, we ought to just go around killing every wild bear we see, because they "might" be a danger to people.

Using my logic, 'problem bears' that consistently return to human habitation even after being relocated repeatedly to a location away from humans only to find their way back to the area they were being a problem in, are put down.

Oh wait. That happens already.

Did I say "KILL ALL DA WOOVES!"? No. Did I even say "KILL DA WOOF!"? Again, no. I said that a wolf that big that comfortable around a human home, especially a human home with children, is a ticking time bomb and SOMETHING bad would inevitably happen.

I said that I can not fault his stated excuse for pulling the trigger. Not to get genocide-happy on the bear population 'cus OH MY GOD IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!

:\ Nice over-exaggeration-to-the-point-of-ridiculousness of my point though.

Regardless, that's it, I'm not saying another word about this. This is going to turn into you guys trying to make me look like a gun-crazy hunter-nut redneck that enjoys putting bullets in rare animals, and me trying to make you guys look like you're PETA and/or Sea Shepherd members. So let's just stop it here before it even starts.

From Drunkenparrot's article on the topic:

"Sandusky County State Wildlife Officer Brian Bury says the animals are likely 95 percent wolf and 5 percent dog and were once privately owned as exotic animals. "These are not animals that have migrated here," he said. "These are animals that unfortunately have escaped or have been released from wherever they were being housed."

and

"It is not, however, illegal to own a wolf as long as it is mixed with dog."

Using my logic, 'problem bears' that consistently return to human habitation even after being relocated repeatedly to a location away from humans only to find their way back to the area they were being a problem in, are put down.

Did I say "KILL ALL DA WOOVES!"? No. Did I even say "KILL DA WOOF!"? Again, no. I said that a wolf that big that comfortable around a human home, especially a human home with children, is a ticking time bomb and SOMETHING bad would inevitably happen.

I said that I can not fault his stated excuse for pulling the trigger. Not to get genocide-happy on the bear population 'cus OH MY GOD IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!

:\ Nice over-exaggeration-to-the-point-of-ridiculousness of my point though.

Regardless, that's it, I'm not saying another word about this. This is going to turn into you guys trying to make me look like a gun-crazy hunter-nut redneck that enjoys putting bullets in rare animals, and me trying to make you guys look like you're PETA and/or Sea Shepherd members. So let's just stop it here before it even starts.

Drago , not calling you a killer , and not saying I am PETA , I hunt Elk , Deer , Goose , Duck , Chukar , Quail , Dove...When I see mis-information about Wolves , I tend to defend them.Others read the information and get the wrong information , that is one of the huge problems with the re-introduction of wolves...I almost commented that the wolf pictured is a hybrid, it was obvious to me.I could go on and on about them also , it is same as with pit bulls , it is all about the owner , although , wolf hybrids take a entire diferent kind of raising , and handling.Also , it is impossible to say what " percentage" of wolf is in a hybrid.It is barley possible to see what breed of dog a hybrid has in it....Anyway , I just do not want people being mis-informed , no offence to you , just trying to educate you on the matter also :)

a 200lb wolf is a pretty big wolf!

it has to be some type of hybrid.it would be hard

for such a large wolf to move fast enough

to survive and be an alpha male in the wild.

And I have no problem with that, because those animals are documented as problem animals, and are dealt with and disposed of by F&W officers, as opposed to "some redneck with a hunting rifle saw a strange animal, and decided on the spot to kill it and take the carcass home to brag, instead of dealing with it through the proper channels."

Unless that animal was literally going for him or another person, he had no business shooting it. State wildlife officials are there for a reason, and they should have been notified before the wolf was shot and allowed to handle the situation properly.

Edited by Black Coyote

a 200lb wolf is a pretty big wolf!

it has to be some type of hybrid.it would be hard

for such a large wolf to move fast enough

to survive and be an alpha male in the wild.

As in anything , when you dig into it , the truth comes out....This animal did not weigh 200 lbs , no where near that.And it is a hybrid.It was someones pet , and as the article below states " I saw what I thought was a coyote 200 yards across from the school in a field , so I went back and grabbed my dang varmit rifle to go back and kill something"

Anyway , I blame the owner as much as the fool who shot someones pet , I am almost 100% sure , in all States owning a wolf hybrid , you need a " wild animal permit" , and if your hybrid gets caught out by animal control , it is almost allways " euthinized" without question.Any responsible hybrid owner would know this.Again , this is all due to not enough education.It is very obvious it was someones pet out and about ( and highly doubtfull it would come near a stranger ) and a redneck shot it...Here is part of the article , I left out the part that says " most likely a hybrid ".

From the you-just-never-know department comes a tale about a large wolf - yes, a wolf - shot this week in Sandusky County:

Dusty Gore of Bellevue and his wife, Tracy, were headed toward Fremont Monday on County Road 205, just south of U.S. 20 between Bellevue and Clyde.

Just about the time they were behind York School, which fronts on U.S. 20, "I spotted what I thought was a coyote in a field about 200 yards from the school," said the 28-year-old Gore. He wheeled around and headed home where he grabbed his varmint rifle.

To shorten the story a mite, Gore shot the beast( ignorant name for a hybrid ) and went to retrieve it on a three-wheeler. "I didn't realize it was a wolf when I shot. I thought it was an exceptionally large coyote."

Gore took it to Bellevue taxidermist Brian Weider, who in turn notified Brian Bury, state game protector in Sandusky County.

Bury confirmed that the animal indeed was a wolf. He said he has received at least a dozen calls about "a pack of wolves" and added this: "Two more got away. This was a large male, at least 100 pounds. They [the pack] have been covering about a 10-mile area the last few days.

Gore weighed the wolf on a grain scale and it hung between 120 and 140 pounds.( redneck could not get a accurate reading :) )

Edited by Sakari

Three wheeler?

Holy crap somebody's looking to die an early death. From experience, driving a three-wheeler is like balancing on top of a three legged bar stool doing twenty miles an hour, and just hoping you don't flip and grind your face off on the ground if you have to go in anything but a straight line.

Edited by Drago

I just realised this :

In general, the GFSZ Act of 1990 added two paragraphs in a new subsection (q) to Section 922 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

2) It shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm.

Definitions were amended to Section 921(a) of the title:

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

A new paragraph was added to Section 924(a) establishing the penalty:

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

I think this falls under the " 200 yards from the school "

I could see a wolf attacking a female if she was on her period.

I'd like to hunt this trophy hunting b****** myself. This isn't the 1930's. We should know better.

Three wheeler?

Holy crap somebody's looking to die an early death. From experience, driving a three-wheeler is like balancing on top of a three legged bar stool doing twenty miles an hour, and just hoping you don't flip and grind your face off on the ground if you have to go in anything but a straight line.

Than add the 12 pack of Keystone Light he most likely had in him :)

I'd rather not, Keystone Light is nasty and I don't think anybody could get down more than two - I don't want to think about someone about drinking 12. :P