Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my bigfoot experience

jtheat

Regarding the bigfoot phemomena in the 70's.... It was huge and it was everywhere.

Anyone a remember the Six Million Dollar man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JktcQ2A32cU&feature=related

Or how about this, Bigfoot and Wildboy!

Continued below....

Lastly, who can forget In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0S2zPNP6s

If you take the time to watch it you'll find that the evidence pool hasnt really changed since the 70's.

Edited by Drunkenparrot

I'm a bit suspisious that the OP has not come back to awnser questions about his story. After all he did say he could take the skepical heat.

I may be wrong perhaps he is busy or cant get to a computer.

But it's looking like he just threw this story against the UM wall to see if it would stick.

The more they've got to say, the more they're willing to cooperate, the better the chance you've got someone telling the truth. Someone who barely answers questions, someone who stutters, who "umms" and "ahhs" and "I don't knows" tend to be your liars; that, or they're innocent and they know something that could get them into trouble.

but the OP is not involved in a crime, he is not being questioned. He has limitless time to craft a story, and apparently limitless time to craft a response to our statements too. Not the same as someone testifying orally under pressure.

I'm a bit suspisious that the OP has not come back to awnser questions about his story. After all he did say he could take the skepical heat.

But it's looking like he just threw this story against the UM wall to see if it would stick.

It seems to me that UM would be a good place to get some feedback on a report, let's say, if you were trying to tell the most believable story. With a little refinement and considering the criticism already given the OP's story could be better (ie more believable) if a few things were changed. That is if psyche is correct and this person is an author. If I were writing something similar, I would consider using UM as a criticism and editing tool, so to speak. I'm not saying that is the case here, but the thought did occur to me.

but the OP is not involved in a crime, he is not being questioned. He has limitless time to craft a story, and apparently limitless time to craft a response to our statements too. Not the same as someone testifying orally under pressure.

Well, no. That's true. But the OP hasn't responded to questions that have been asked yet, he's only presented the initial story. (I'll also be agreeing with Evan that I think the OP has had ample time to respond, which does present a problem. Is he taking his time to detail any further fabrication he may need, or is he simply unable to make it back for whatever reason?)

It seems to me that UM would be a good place to get some feedback on a report, let's say, if you were trying to tell the most believable story. With a little refinement and considering the criticism already given the OP's story could be better (ie more believable) if a few things were changed. That is if psyche is correct and this person is an author. If I were writing something similar, I would consider using UM as a criticism and editing tool, so to speak. I'm not saying that is the case here, but the thought did occur to me.

That is a very good idea, that actually works out really, really well...

To me it reads like a collection of previous Biff stories with the best bits taken out and collaborated. Especially snarling Biff, you know the water one that was hoaxed? Excellent prose makes them all tie in. Also, the detail is so impeccable, yet broad brushed in a fashion that screams creative writing classes. Temp 60 Deg F in the fall on 1976? 60 Deg? Not warm or sultry, or humid, but 60 degrees. Then this one back in 1976 I have never heard of or knew anything about “Big Foot”. I am with Neo there. Less than a decade after Pattersons film. It was still considered authentic at the time, we even heard about it downunder. But not in the USA, in Biff country? That seems a little hard to swallow, then it snarled and chased? The thing was not happy? How is it the claimant is here today? After hearing the creature strides highways in two steps in no time at all, how did this creature not catch this witness and tear him up into little pieces? If it was sure he was leaving, why the pursuit at all? Why not shoot? Fear of angering it? But then if it did come, he would empty the gun into it? The fear sounds intense, but no shots were fired, and he sat in the car for a while looking at the thing he just escaped from? The scared for family bit sounds cheesy, I am a Dad and if I thought my little ones were in any danger, I would remove them, or take out the threat, not wait for the right real estate opportunity to come along.

And no attempt has been made to return and capture/kill a specimen.

These are the things I feel do not add up, no offense intended to the OP. That and the brilliant prose speaks loudly AUTHOR. f the OP does not write, he/she should. It is a very interesting tale to read.

so, you are one of the people who dont believe war vet stories i see. i mean, those get very detailed, and the experience bothers them for a long time. or, you assume ma and pa were lying about the details on their wedding day?

if you treat one person this way psyche, you have to treat them all that way, no exceptions.

and as EC stated, the more detailed, the harder it can be to keep up with. less detail, means no real burden for the person claiming it. i personally dont care about the temp, they can assume what temp it was all they want (mighta checked the weather before hand, since they were planning a day to go hunting. usually you check the weather. intelligent people do).

and they already explained they they believe it didnt catch them. it can simply be running it away from its territory.

there, im sure if the bear really wanted, it would have persued even more, to indeed Kill it.

as for shooting, he already fired. the animal didnt bolt like many would. and, its a fight or flight. hes up against something big which he hasnt seen before, he chose flight. not a bad option.

The tepee really discredits the Bigfoot factor of the OP's story.

If Bigfoot is constructing complex shelters there is going to be lots of evidence left behind.

I am also left wondering what kind of game the OP is hunting in the mountains with a shotgun? Why in the world would any hunter leave their binoculars and side arm in the first place much less unattended in their vehicle in an unfamiliar area?

It's a well written story but as far as being a true story? :rolleyes:

Are you not aware of the amount of people who are convicted on witness testimony and later exonerated?

youre not aware of the people who get put away with detailed testimonies. regardless of the fact if theyre re-evaluated 1 month later, or 10 years. fact is, they prefer detailed testimonies, and the fact these people are being put away for it.

and how do you know who is lying and who is not?

you dont know. none of us do really. this isnt news to anyone though. thats why you always take it with a grain of salt.

Psychology tells us that over a 40+ year timespan, the retelling over and over of this story would see more detail added in. And the teller may even be convinced of that detail that was not there, fully believing the memory. But unfortunately, memory fades over time, not sharpens for a given event. Unless the teller is adding in more detail with each retelling. the memory becomes the retelling, not the actual event.

psychology tells you nothing neo. its sad youve resorted to this as part of your argument. psychology tells us that, the certain people used for test, preform a certain way, this by no means reflects the world.

so, you (as well as psyche) dont believe any of the war vet stories eh? i dont think theyd like you visiting their parade and calling them all liars. which, is more or less what youre doing.

If Bigfoot is constructing complex shelters there is going to be lots of evidence left behind.

I am also left wondering what kind of game the OP is hunting in the mountains with a shotgun? Why in the world would any hunter leave their binoculars and side arm in the first place much less unattended in their vehicle in an unfamiliar area?

It's a well written story but as far as being a true story? :rolleyes:

well, i dont think they said they left them there. they just said they grabbed them off the seat, while in the vehicle.

A lot of "sightings" are accompanied by strange structures such as the shelter described in this story. I'm also reminded of the 80ft trees that were uprooted and placed back in the ground--upside down--in a small clearing in an Alaskan forest--something that comes off as a territorial threat. I am not a firm believer in Bigfoot (barely a believer, really, you really couldn't call me a believer at all), but there are several reports that describe bizarre structures like this one. I don't think that the shelter discredits the story at all.

Edited to add: About the binoculars and side arm. The OP says he was carrying a pack, and I admit that it would be fairly intelliegnt to at least carry the two along with him in the pack--unless it was relatively small and all he could fit in it was the coffee and whatever else he said he'd packed. But I can imagine that he didn't anticipate meeting anything dangerous on his excursion. If I were just planning on a nice little hike, I certainly wouldn't pack more than I needed; especially not a side weapon if/when I already had one.

Edited by ebonycrow

well, i dont think they said they left them there. they just said they grabbed them off the seat, while in the vehicle.

The OP wrote...

I had a 12 gauge shotgun that held 5 shells (buckshot), a backpack with a thermos of coffee, sandwich and some extra ammunition. I also had binoculars and a .45 SW in the truck’s glove compartment. I did not take them with me. I didn’t think I would need more than a 12 guage

Any idea what the OP is hunting with a 12 guage in the Virginia mountains?

I don't know ANYTHING about guns, so I did a bit of Googling. Fowl appear to be popular game. I found that just about anything under 300lbs can be hunted successfully with a 12 gauge.

The OP wrote...

well, since the story seems mainly about them, there friend could have brought another pair.

as for the 12 guage, well i might too based on the wild life- Hunting: deer, bear, turkey, grouse, gray and fox squirrel, rabbit, and wood duck

http://www.virginia.org/site/description.asp?attrID=10610

I'm sure he hunts.

Well, not anymore! :rofl:

Well, not anymore! :rofl:

hahaha

true.

A lot of "sightings" are accompanied by strange structures such as the shelter described in this story. I'm also reminded of the 80ft trees that were uprooted and placed back in the ground--upside down--in a small clearing in an Alaskan forest--something that comes off as a territorial threat. I am not a firm believer in Bigfoot (barely a believer, really, you really couldn't call me a believer at all), but there are several reports that describe bizarre structures like this one. I don't think that the shelter discredits the story at all.

Edited to add: About the binoculars and side arm. The OP says he was carrying a pack, and I admit that it would be fairly intelliegnt to at least carry the two along with him in the pack--unless it was relatively small and all he could fit in it was the coffee and whatever else he said he'd packed. But I can imagine that he didn't anticipate meeting anything dangerous on his excursion. If I were just planning on a nice little hike, I certainly wouldn't pack more than I needed; especially not a side weapon if/when I already had one.

Where I live ( Pacific Northwest) both hunters and hikers frequently carry high caliber side arms for protection. The situation the OP describes, albeit fantastical, is exactly the reason somebody carries a sidearm in addition to their hunting weapon. Substitute cougar, PO'd bear or moonshiners and meth cooks for sasquatch and you get the idea.

Honestly, what are the odds that somebody new to an area drives a few miles, hikes for an hour and stumbles upon the situation described?

If Sasquatch is building tepees and exhibiting territorially defensive behavior he would have been stuffed, mounted and on display at the Smithsonian by now. (and before anybody starts, no, I am not condoning the murdering sasquatch.)

Where I live ( Pacific Northwest) both hunters and hikers frequently carry high caliber side arms for protection. The situation the OP describes, albeit fantastical, is exactly the reason somebody carries a sidearm in addition to their hunting weapon. Substitute cougar, PO'd bear or moonshiners and meth cooks for sasquatch and you get the idea.

Honestly, what are the odds that somebody new to an area drives a few miles, hikes for an hour and stumbles upon the situation described?

If Sasquatch is building tepees and exhibiting territorially defensive behavior he would have been stuffed, mounted and on display at the Smithsonian by now. (and before anybody starts, no, I am not condoning the murdering sasquatch.)

In 1976, Appalachia didn't have any dangerous game. There were no cougars, no wolves, no black bear. (As far as I'm aware!) Actually, black bear is a fairly recent reintroduction to the area, along with elk. It wouldn't have been necessary to carry a side arm for protection, what would you protect yourself against? Even with moonshiners and methers, they're not going to kill you for finding their stash. At best, that will get them into more trouble. Oh, sure, some have, but how many have gotten away with it?

Well, what are the odds that someone wins the lottery? :P It's luck. But that is assuming that this really happened, of course.

I have my own theories about why--if he exists--we haven't found the bugger. But that's a different thread for a different day.

. It wouldn't have been necessary to carry a side arm for protection, what would you protect yourself against?

That's the thing, you never know what you're going to encounter. I rarely go into the woods without my sidearm.

That's the thing, you never know what you're going to encounter. I rarely go into the woods without my sidearm.

Well, unless you expect to run into something that really shouldn't be there, what's the point? At the time there wasn't supposed to be any dangerous game in the area, and given he's already got a 12 gauge, if he were to run into a person threatening him all he'd have to do is flash the double barrel and say, "Leave me the hells alone or I'm gonna shootchya." I can't say that I'd have thought about bringing a side arm, myself.

Well, unless you expect to run into something that really shouldn't be there, what's the point?

Bad things happen when you least expect it. The point is protection.

Isn't that the way life is, though? You go unprepared, bad things happen. You take the necessary precautions, and everything is completely uneventful.

well, just as likely as a person whos been living in that area for 10 years, and just decides to go hunting that day.

its just chance i guess.

i very much agree. if i was going into that area, knowing bears are around, id bring at least some form of protection (most likely a gun).

Edited by Agent. Mulder

i very much agree. if i was going into that area, knowing bears are around, id bring at least some form of protection (most likely a gun).

But like I said, I don't think that there were bear in the area at that time. At least where I live (which is about a three hour drive from Chilhowie), black bears were only recently reintroduced. I can't find any information about black bears in Virginia around this time frame though.