Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mermaid of Cornwall

UM-Bot

Paul Dale Roberts: Past history of mermaid sightings go as far back as 558 AD Ireland. A mermaid was drawn ashore by a fisherman’s net. The mermaid was baptized by the townsfolk and soon afterward she died. She was later honored as a holy virgin and miracles were recorded at her shrine. This occurred at Teo-da-Beoc. Sightings of mermaids have been frequent from the Renaissance period to modern times.

October 29, 1811, John McIsaac saw a mermaid at Campbeltown, Scotland. With his sworn testimony, he claimed the mermaid had long flowing red hair, white skin and dove back into the water. Henry Hudson on June 15, 1608 claimed he saw a mermaid with flowing black hair, skin was white and it swam on the ship’s bow side in the North Atlantic. Hudson and one other witness saw the mermaid. It is said that when mermaids sing, they are predicting an upcoming storm. It is also rumored that mermaids can bring on storms. Stories tell if you try and harm a mermaid, the mermaid will bring on a fatal storm of great proportions.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• Belial

• Mandrake

• Universal Sight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul Dale Roberts: Past history of mermaid sightings go as far back as 558 AD Ireland. A mermaid was drawn ashore by a fisherman’s net. The mermaid was baptized by the townsfolk and soon afterward she died. She was later honored as a holy virgin and miracles were recorded at her shrine. This occurred at Teo-da-Beoc. Sightings of mermaids have been frequent from the Renaissance period to modern times.

October 29, 1811, John McIsaac saw a mermaid at Campbeltown, Scotland. With his sworn testimony, he claimed the mermaid had long flowing red hair, white skin and dove back into the water. Henry Hudson on June 15, 1608 claimed he saw a mermaid with flowing black hair, skin was white and it swam on the ship’s bow side in the North Atlantic. Hudson and one other witness saw the mermaid. It is said that when mermaids sing, they are predicting an upcoming storm. It is also rumored that mermaids can bring on storms. Stories tell if you try and harm a mermaid, the mermaid will bring on a fatal storm of great proportions.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

I live and kayak around the Cornish coast, and see alot of fishing boats and tourist boats and people fishing off the rocks. If mermaids did exist, how are they supposed to breathe air at the surface of the sea without ever being seen?

Then if hy- no, no, I musn't.

A lot of mermaid stories come from around the Cornish coast, and there is course the famous story of the one that lived in the village of Zennor. However, it could just be that good ol' Bill was having a laugh with his mates in the pub (which probably explains why he hung up).

I live and kayak around the Cornish coast, and see alot of fishing boats and tourist boats and people fishing off the rocks. If mermaids did exist, how are they supposed to breathe air at the surface of the sea without ever being seen?

Who said they breathe air?

Well, if Bill wasn't a prak caller, I hope the government didn't nab him an interrput the call because they knew he saw what he saw.. I really hope he calls back.

Then if hy- no, no, I musn't.

A lot of mermaid stories come from around the Cornish coast, and there is course the famous story of the one that lived in the village of Zennor. However, it could just be that good ol' Bill was having a laugh with his mates in the pub (which probably explains why he hung up).

Sounds like the most plausible answer. :yes:

Wonder what mermaids smell like? :innocent:

Fishy crabby sea weedy sea salty stink, wouldn't want to meet one ;)

Who said they breathe air?

The reports all say the face is human-like and the torso with breasts, so we can assume a mammal which breathes through it's mouth? If not, then how else can it supply itself with oxygen? Underwater air supplies?? Underwater caves with air vents to the surface?

The reports all say the face is human-like and the torso with breasts, so we can assume a mammal which breathes through it's mouth? If not, then how else can it supply itself with oxygen? Underwater air supplies?? Underwater caves with air vents to the surface?

They could have gills behind thier ears, or as long thin slits along the side of thier necks. Most reports say they have long hair which could easily hide a paper thing slit of a gill opening.

Well, if Bill wasn't a prak caller, I hope the government didn't nab him an interrput the call because they knew he saw what he saw.. I really hope he calls back.

And why exactly would the government be interested in mermaid accounts?

Is there a Pinko-Commie Mermaid conspircy that I'm not aware of? Deviated preverts seeking to corrupt our precious bodily fluids.

Well it seems to me that there were no woman typically on the boats back then so i guess after months at sea... they would start to see breasts anywhere....even on a fish.....pretty hard up.

If it were an all women crew....would the reports though time be of men-like torso's?

These are all stories made up in any place is all. No facts available to prove. As we know, the human word is not a reliable source.

I would have to say IF they did exist they wouldnt be human looking at all. I suspect they would look like the creature from the Black Lagoon....with legs and webbed feet or lower body such as in the stories told. The 2nd option would have to be more plausible as this would make for better chance of survival. But do you really think they could out swim sharks?

I heard of many stories from people from the islands who been missing for days under water and they suddenly appear, and jus come out of the waters mentioning that their are people livin under the water, it even happened to my grandmother she went missng for three days and jus appeared out of the water saying the same. The thing that I find odd is how people would rather not beleive with out any research of their own because after all of the stories I heard. people always say one thing about them and that is they have red hair and pale skin any it goes all over the world. Stop believing and learn to know.

I heard of many stories from people from the islands who been missing for days under water and they suddenly appear, and jus come out of the waters mentioning that their are people livin under the water, it even happened to my grandmother she went missng for three days and jus appeared out of the water saying the same. The thing that I find odd is how people would rather not beleive with out any research of their own because after all of the stories I heard. people always say one thing about them and that is they have red hair and pale skin any it goes all over the world. Stop believing and learn to know.

I'm starting to become a believer Sosirius. A mammal managed to use a blowhole to breathe so why couldn't a mammal evolve 'plastron rebreather' lungs which breathe air and water? Underwater breathing: the mechanics of plastron respiration & Could Humans Do It?. Here's a related article as well Aquatic Insect Respiration.

post-94765-126995646657_thumb.jpg

Never quite understood how a Manatee could be mistaken for a mermaid...

post-100443-127018571767_thumb.jpg

I mean, just how lonely are you, sailor?!?

lol! Yeah, good point.

Well i don't know smugfish ;)

yea . that and the fact that most are believed to be beautiful. Somehow i dont think a half human creature living in the sea would really be that attractive.

• 1 month later...

LOL :lol: they must be very lonely indeed!

Edited by pixiii

Sounds beautiful. I'd love to meet them or even just one of them to hear their song.