Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Please help me identifying this site

goodintentions

I vaguely remember seeing on a documentary about a stone circle somewhere in northern Europe where the circle started on land and spiraled into the sea, suggesting they were put there before the end of the last ice age. I've searched all over the internet but couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and the name of the site?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• PersonFromPorlock

• goodintentions

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be thinking of Carnac, in Brittany. There's at least one "semisubmerged" stone circle there, on the island of Er Lanic (possibly Er Lannic).

I vaguely remember seeing on a documentary about a stone circle somewhere in northern Europe where the circle started on land and spiraled into the sea, suggesting they were put there before the end of the last ice age. I've searched all over the internet but couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and the name of the site?

Spiraled into the sea??

Hmm... I am not sure, but maybe you mean an ancient Irish ringfort, Dún Aonghasa, on Inis Mór, Co. Galway , Ireland. Half of it went down when the cliff it was located on crumbled down into the Atlantic below, but that happened in a much more recent time.

Plate11_1_1.jpg

http://heritagecounc.../section11.html

EDIT:

Yes, I think it's the one PersonFromPorlock mentioned:

http://menhirs.tripod.com/images/erlanic_large.jpg

Island south of Gavr'Inis in Gulf of Morbihan

2 tangential circles; 28 stones in north circle, 32 in south circle; stones 2-5 meters high

Half of north circle and all of south circle are submerged; evidence that sea level has risen and Gulf flooded since circles were built

The aerial photograph of Er Lannic was taken by JJ Evendon who has kindly permitted me to show it here. Click on the photo or here to see the full-sized picture. The partially submerged circle is on the right side of the island. Half of the second circle is just visible at the right edge of the photo. Many thanks JJ for this photograph.

Edited by Abramelin