Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiny cube to tackle space debris

Waspie_Dwarf

UK researchers have developed a device to drag space debris out of orbit.

They plan to launch a demonstration of their "CubeSail" next year. It is a small satellite cube that deploys a thin, 25-sq-m plastic sheet.

Residual air molecules still present in the spacecraft's low-Earth orbit will catch the sheet and pull the object out of the sky much faster than is normal.

The Surrey Space Centre team says the concept could be fitted to larger satellites and even rocket stages.

The group also envisions that a mature system would even be sent to rendezvous and dock with redundant spacecraft to clean them from orbit.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Legatus Legionis

• kobolds

• sp840tril

At least they're making an attempt, bcuz I want all that junk outta the way so that my tourist trips will be safe which hopefully will be soon.

At least they're making an attempt, bcuz I want all that junk outta the way so that my tourist trips will be safe which hopefully will be soon.

For the time being the tourist trips are not a problem. Vehicles like Virgin's SpaceShip 2 only just make it into space, just exceeding the 100 Km altitude that is where space officially starts. Most of this junk is above that. It is operational satellite and the ISS that are at risk.

sound to me like they try to clean up small debris by using bigger debris

How so?

If the demonstration is successful, in future the CubeSail will be attached to satellites and upper stages. It will be used to cause the debris to re-enter the atmosphere and will be burned up itself, leaving no debris.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

at last they are now trying ways to "clean up" up there..