Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eyes: 'the window to your soul'

Still Waters

The eye really is the “window to your soul”, according to research that suggests it is possible to predict what people are thinking by tracking their gaze.

A flickering glance left or right, up or down can indicate in what processes are going on in the mind.

In the study, carried out by the University of Melbourne, volunteers were asked to think of a series of numbers between one and 30 and call them out at random.

The scientists mapped out their eye movements and said they were able to predict what number each person would utter with “reliable confidence”.

The findings suggest that the art of "mind reading" could be founded upon the study of unconscious facial expressions. They could also offer a useful insight for negotiators trying to second guess their counterparts.

Dr Michael Nicholls, a neuroscientist and co-author of the study, said: “Clearly, the eyes not only allow us to see the world around us but they also present a window to the working of our mind.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Node

• Psychic51

• Paracelse

• Bud Rasputin

This is reeeeaaaaallly old news. NLP and all that jazz has been beaten to death already. It's neat none the less, but it's nothing new. Also, NLP or any sort of 'body reading' is unreliable because of cultural, social, and individual differences. It's better to stick to the purely biological cues... like pupils, sweating, heart rate, breathing, and various other 100% reliable methods. In 2nd year psychology during the social psychology unit we spent many classes training ourselves to consciously read cues from patients such as tonal variety in their voice, and general behaviour. That's way more reliable, and actually much easier to learn than NLP.

And people always think I'm psychic when I "read" their mind ^_^

I would hate to be able to read one's mind.. to be able to hear them is already boring enough...

Some author described the eyes as "the visible parts of the brain."

True or not, it's been food for thought for me for a number of years.

• 2 months later...

I've destroyed my Dobly 7.1 JVC 709v stereo once just by cussing at it once cause i was p***ed, and it never worked again! i've thought about a chicks car breaking on her, cause she p***ed me off and her car stopped working the next day until a friend of mine bought it for 50 bucks and replaced a relay inside that had blown, SOMEHOW< lol!!!I can't wait until i can fully move things with my mind since there's nothing else to run test theories on anymore! My mind tells me things way ahead of when they actually happen. Sometimes though something tries to put evil thoughts in my mind, sometimes it accomplishes it s mission by making me go with the bad thoughts that it has and then something bad happens in real life almost instantaneously. So I have to do my damnest to make sure that only good thoughts enter my mind and don't dwell on the evil thoughts. Cause if the evil gets in, then evil prevails. So I have to try to stay happy or bad things will happen all around for some strange coincidental reason!

Well, I guess that's a better idea than reading someone's future by using the bumps on their head.

Honestly, it sucks hearing some peoples minds , especially when you can't stand being around them normally! Talk about lame as **** to constantly hear!

I remember doing a test on a subject about 6 years ago. I was working in Orlando and we were at a stop light and I looked to my right and saw someone about 100 yards away, so I stared at one certain part of their body for about 5-8 seconds. While doing so the person then scratched the back of their head where i was staring only to conclude my theory that the eyes do give off some sort of energy. I used to stare at the sun when i was a child thinking that the suns energy charges my mind with its energy! Theories and tests are fun!

• 10 months later...

Honestly, it sucks hearing some peoples minds , especially when you can't stand being around them normally! Talk about lame as **** to constantly hear!

My experience with telepathy has been somewhat milder than yours appears to be. I feel but seldom hear. I'm lucky in that I guess. Life's tough enough to figure out sometimes.