Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fury as U.S. boy, 11, is to be tried as adult

Still Waters

A boy of 11 accused of killing his father's pregnant fianceé with a shotgun will be tried as an adult, a judge ruled yesterday.

Jordan Brown, now 12, is charged with criminal homicide in the death of 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk in their farmhouse in western Pennsylvania.

Ms Houk was eight-and-a-half months pregnant when Brown allegedly shot her in the back of the head as she lay in bed on February 20, 2009. Her unborn child - a boy - suffocated after her death.

Police had said Brown, now 12, hid the weapon under a blanket so her seven-year-old daughter would not see it as he entered her mother's room.

Brown then took the bus to school, apparently throwing the shotgun shell casing out on the way. A state trooper testified that tests showed the shell was fired from Brown's youth-model 20-gauge shotgun, the gun he is believed to have received as a Christmas present.

Houk's body was only found when her four-year-old daughter told workers outside the house that she thought her mother was dead.

Prosecutors claimed Brown had been jealous of his father's new family.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Sweetpumper

• The Silver Thong

• danielost

And so he should be. Do they have the death penalty in that state?

I agree with him being tried as an adult. He's 12, I feel he should have known better. I wasn't an idiot at age 12. I knew guns were dangerous and could kill. I also knew what the definition of murder was and the repercussions from committing murder. By the article, you get the idea he knew what he was doing. He hid the weapon in a blanket so HER daughter wouldn't see him go into her mommy's bedroom. It's sad, I feel bad for the little girls that were left behind and for the little boy who never even got to see the light of day.

It's a shame that it's a 12 year old, because people don't know how to react that kind of thing... but really, a 12 year old should know that murder is wrong and you don't go around murdering everyone that you are 'jealous' of.

Edited by Merrikatt

They said somewhere he couldn't be rehabbed so they probably diagnosed him as a psychopath. You can see the blackness in his eyes in the kids mug shot.

They're getting younger.

Kill him.

By the time a child is 7, he or she know right from wrong. I know this is a generality, but an 11-year-old certainly knows that shooting mommy with a shotgun is wrong.

I'm weary of all the excuses. American gangs use children for revenge killings, knowing that they won't get the death penalty and will almost certainly be released when they are 21 -- the most punishment they will get.

The death penalty is a joke. You'll languish on death row for at least 8 years before it's carried out. In the meantime, you can get a free college degree and some idiotic movie star will take up your case and make you famous.

Meanwhile, your victim(s) molders in the ground and the victim's family grieves every day.

We need swift, certain execution of murderers, including so-called children.

Send the little monster to Hell, where he belongs.

So young... he's gonna take up soo much tax money if he get's life, but they probably won't kill him 'cause he's young (bull) so he'll probably gobble up tens of thousands of dollars every year for the next 50 or 60 years all 'cause he's a goddamn brat. I hope he get's killed in prison.

They said somewhere he couldn't be rehabbed so they probably diagnosed him as a psychopath. You can see the blackness in his eyes in the kids mug shot.

They're getting younger.

Kill him.

Maybe it was the kids family life that drove him to this and we should kill them all? Thats not the answer man as I doubt he's Jason from Friday the 13th and if so sure kill the little basterd.

I doubt he's Jason from Friday the 13th and if so sure kill the little basterd.

His family life may have contributed but if he's a psychopath, he's not changing and has already murdered. They said they're trying him as an adult because they don't think they can rehab him the nine years they have 'til he turns twenty-one if convicted as a juvenile. That tells me he needs to be caged for life if not put down.

I dont care if he wiped out an entire town of people. I dont care if he is the son of Satan himself. NO 12 year old child should be given life in prison. Anyone who thinks he should is sick.

Edited by 284dan

They're getting younger.

Kill him.

Wow, no kidding! The kid looks scary as hell...

If he can't be rehabilitated, what on earth is the point in keeping him locked up? My philosophy is the same for every living creature, if they aren't going to have a life worth living then why make them live it? In doing so you make them--and everything they come into contact with--suffer. And in this case, tax payers too.

By the time a child is 7, he or she know right from wrong. I know this is a generality, but an 11-year-old certainly knows that shooting mommy with a shotgun is wrong.

I'm weary of all the excuses. American gangs use children for revenge killings, knowing that they won't get the death penalty and will almost certainly be released when they are 21 -- the most punishment they will get.

The death penalty is a joke. You'll languish on death row for at least 8 years before it's carried out. In the meantime, you can get a free college degree and some idiotic movie star will take up your case and make you famous.

Meanwhile, your victim(s) molders in the ground and the victim's family grieves every day.

We need swift, certain execution of murderers, including so-called children.

Send the little monster to Hell, where he belongs.

if the child is being forced or cohearsed into murder that is a bit different than sneaking a gun into moms room and shooting her in the back. not only should he be tried as an adult if found guilty they should put him straight into adult prison. wont need to give him the death penalty or i should say state paid.

You people cant have it both ways...is it 18,21 or 12 now?

I find it idiotic that your to young at 12 to make a decision as to whether or not you want to smoke a cigarette but your not to young to make a decision whether or not killing is a good or bad idea.

when society figure out what they want please give me a call but till then im going to live out in a log cabin some where.

Age has nothing to do with this. The boy was completely and totally aware of what he was doing, he went into the bedroom with intent, and full understanding that shooting the woman in the back of the head would kill her. How does that not deserve punishment?

I dont care if he wiped out an entire town of people. I dont care if he is the son of Satan himself. NO 12 year old child should be given life in prison. Anyone who thinks he should is sick.

Well, I'm just glad that you're not deciding how the law works...With that logic disturbed children would think they would be able to get away with anything. The kid in the article clearly knew it was wrong considering he tried to hide the gun. He should be charged as an adult end of story.

I do agree that he should be tried as an adult but I do not think he should serve time in an adult prision. He should be in a juvenile facility until he reaches the age appropriate for adult prision then be placed there for the remainder of his sentence. I do feel that life is a little harsh but at least a good 20 to 30 yrs.

On the other hand by the end of his sentence he would probably be institutionalized, incapable of living in the outside world. Get out commit some atrocity possibly hurting someone else and end up with a life sentence anyway.

So in the end a life sentence is possibly the right answer.

Anyone got a crystal ball..........

WOW your either heartless, dumb or have no family because the lady was KILLED do you know what that means and with a baby inside her. That child knew what he was doing he needs to be locked away and punished. What your saying is go ahead kill all you want that is OK. * snip *

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

Flip the juice switch on the little ****.

His family life may have contributed but if he's a psychopath, he's not changing and has already murdered. They said they're trying him as an adult because they don't think they can rehab him the nine years they have 'til he turns twenty-one if convicted as a juvenile. That tells me he needs to be caged for life if not put down.

That is quit sad but I will agree and say this kid is in for some serious therapy and if by the time he's 21 there is any doubt he should be kept locked up no doubt.

That is quit sad but I will agree and say this kid is in for some serious therapy and if by the time he's 21 there is any doubt he should be kept locked up no doubt.

Why make tax payers support this guy? Sending him to prison will do nothing, and it's already been shown that there isn't any hope in him being rehabilitated mentally. I don't want to pay for this guys food and recreation, he killed a woman AND her child--two people--in cold blood, well aware of what he was doing. Why must I provide luxuries for a murderer of any age? Locking him up is just... I don't understand it.

Either you lock a little kid up in prison and set him up for a life of misery, or you end his--and everyone else's--misery early. I'm all for punishment but keeping him locked up hurts a lot more people than it helps.

If you're against the death sentence, why do you support allowing the child to live a dreadful life? Wouldn't that be worse than death?

Edited by ebonycrow

Why make tax payers support this guy? Sending him to prison will do nothing, and it's already been shown that there isn't any hope in him being rehabilitated mentally. I don't want to pay for this guys food and recreation, he killed a woman AND her child--two people--in cold blood, well aware of what he was doing. Why must I provide luxuries for a murderer of any age? Locking him up is just... I don't understand it.

Either you lock a little kid up in prison and set him up for a life of misery, or you end his--and everyone else's--misery early. I'm all for punishment but keeping him locked up hurts a lot more people than it helps.

If you're against the death sentence, why do you support allowing the child to live a dreadful life? Wouldn't that be worse than death?

I'm undecided on the death penalty but I am not for killing children with mental issues. He wouldn't be in prison busting rocks with a hammer everyday he could still experience some joy and if it gets to much for him he can kill himself.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I think he should definitely be tried as an adult, as murder is inexcusable. Serves the little ***** right. However, I think that there may be an issue regarding moral righteousness in the household. The boy was given a shotgun as a Christmas present. What parent, in their right mind, hands their child a shotgun as a Christmas present? Something just doesn't add up - I think that there may have been some parental neglect in the child's life to a certain extent. Meh. He's not my kid or relative.

Edited by Mr. DeYoung

I think he should definitely be tried as an adult, as murder is inexcusable. Serves the little ***** right. However, I think that there may be an issue regarding moral righteousness in the household. The boy was given a shotgun as a Christmas present. What parent, in their right mind, hands their child a shotgun as a Christmas present? Something just doesn't add up - I think that there may have been some parental neglect in the child's life to a certain extent. Meh. He's not my kid or relative.

it was normal 100 years ago to give a kid a gun at 10 if he lived in the country. so he could go kill something for dinner, or protect mom from bad people.

And so he should be. Do they have the death penalty in that state?

As 5 year old I knew this was wrong so why should a 12 year old (then 11) escape justice because of his age.

Give him the electric chair.

As 5 year old I knew this was wrong so why should a 12 year old (then 11) escape justice because of his age.

Give him the electric chair.

like i said put him in general population of a real prison, then the state wont have to pay for it.