Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fury as U.S. boy, 11, is to be tried as adult

Still Waters

I'd offer a link, but I got this information from a book.

According to the DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) which is produced by the American Psychiatric Association, a child cannot be diagnosed as having an Antisocial Personality Disorder (Psychopath is a classification of a Antisocial Personality Disorder). By their own diagnostic rules, one must be 18 to be diagnosed because the behavior must begin in childhood and extend into adulthood. Anytime prior to that, a child is said to have Conduct Disorder (CD). That there are some psychologists who think otherwise does not change the accepted practices and current rules of diagnosis.

Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD or APD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."

There is a legal definition of Psychopath, but that would have to come from the legal community, not doctors. Perhaps this is where the confusion comes from?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Sweetpumper

• The Silver Thong

• danielost

Even the father believes he's innocent.

Of course he does.

I'm sure O.J.'s grammy still thinks he's an angel too.

Edited by Sweetpumper

Of course he does.

I'm sure O.J.'s grammy still thinks he's an angel too.

Go into the link I posted #127. Under related stories there is an article from the time of the murder when the father was saying this was not the son he knew and believed him guilty. Of course now he's standing by his son. I looked everywhere for a mention of a former boyfriend or any indication that evidence was tampered with or led to anyone but this boy and I could find nothing. I really did try.

I don't know why the first link isn't working. I went back and checked and the address is valid. Apparently this boy's attorneys have asked the judge to reconsider trying him as an adult. The boy still will not admit to committing this crime and under law you can't force a child to admit to committing a crime.

Its sad what Kids do these days,They Talk back to teachers,disrespect grown ups and have smart mouths and feel they can do what ever they want,Well that brat doesnt deserve to serve life in prison so we have to pay taxes on him just to feed his but and give him a roof over his head.he needs to be put down like the dog he is.Hard to say but true.JMO

Yet another sign.

That his rehabilitation can't begin? Yes.

Uh, no.

If he says he didn't do it, what's he rehabbing for?

Edited by Sweetpumper

Uh, no.

If he says he didn't do it, what's he rehabbing for?

He can't. That's why he has to be held longer. Admitting what you did is the first step in rehabilitation. Didn't you check out the links?

He can't what? Held longer than what? He's not admitting to it 'cause why confess when he got what he wanted?

From ABC News:

"I think the judge's decision in this case is both disappointing, and I think, misinformed," said Lawrence Steinberg of Temple University. "The judge is saying in order to be tried as a juvenile you need to admit that you've done the crime. That doesn't seem quite right to me."

A child's brain isn't fully developed -- especially in area that controls decision making, risk taking and impulse control, according to Steinberg, whose research influenced a Supreme Court case banning the death penalty for juveniles in 2005.

So, lock him up for life then.

How many more times do you need to be told? You just ramble on and on. Stop yourself.

How many more times do you need to be told? You just ramble on and on. Stop yourself.

Are you drunk? What are you talking about?

I dont care if he wiped out an entire town of people. I dont care if he is the son of Satan himself. NO 12 year old child should be given life in prison. Anyone who thinks he should is sick.

If you think a child who kills a whole town shouldn't be locked up for life..... you are missing something. This kid murdered a woman and a baby. He should spend life thinking about that in a cell.

Edited by ZELDAR

"Why is this such a big issue if he's not guilty?" Debbie Houk said.

Hopefully the attorneys fail.

Just went back to check link. It's a good address. Don't know what happened.

Still the same for me. I'll check back Monday. I'm off to Body Combat. :ph34r:

:blink:

From ABC News:

"I think the judge's decision in this case is both disappointing, and I think, misinformed," said Lawrence Steinberg of Temple University. "The judge is saying in order to be tried as a juvenile you need to admit that you've done the crime. That doesn't seem quite right to me."

A child's brain isn't fully developed -- especially in area that controls decision making, risk taking and impulse control, according to Steinberg, whose research influenced a Supreme Court case banning the death penalty for juveniles in 2005.

Thanks for your input. Over all it's the people of Pennsylvania that have to form the opinions that can pressure our Governor to look at this case. I think they're looking at the fact that if the boy doesn't admit what happened, he can't take responsiblity for it. I agree. He's so young and immature. I do agree he can't be released until he begins the process of facing the truth. I want to wait until the trial when all the facts are out, but trying him as an adult gives more time, just so he can be held until he gets the help he needs. He will be entitled to all the appeals that any other person sentenced to life w/o parole has. I will not advocate a death sentence, which would be commuted within what, 6 mos. Killing a child this young is no better than what he did.