Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fury as U.S. boy, 11, is to be tried as adult

Still Waters

He'll have plenty of time to tell his story.

Hopefully as an adult.

I believe the whole point of the article and what I was saying went completely over your head! Exact example of what I'm saying, everyone looks at what a horrendous crime it is, and refuses to see that he may not be guilty or that he has rights!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Sweetpumper

• The Silver Thong

• danielost

The kid definitely deserves punishment but I don't agree with the death penalty for anyone.

This kid hasn't even hit puberty.... how can they say for definite that he cannot be rehabilitated?

so he should be tried as an adult..........planning and intent.......... very sad :(

i think if any kid commits an adult crime, such as murder, rape, or armed robbery they should be tried as an adult and punished as one. even if said punishment would normally be execution,

if the shotting was an accident then he should be let off.

The PA county where I live just ran an article in the newspaper. If a juvenile does the crime they will do the time. I don't believe in giving a child the death sentence and the decision of the jury under PA law must be unanimous. The judge can not override it. However, I'm still undecided as to what chance there is for rehabilitation. His unwillingness to fess up could be nothing more than fear. I don't know if this kid understood at first just what life in prison meant, but I think he's getting a clearer picture now. I'll wait until the trial and see what happens.

• 9 months later...

It's taken a long time to get this boy to court. He's now 14. On August 23 a judge decided to move the trial to juvenile court and close the trial to the public. The Pittsburg Tribune is trying to get the ruling overturned so the public can know what happened on the day Jordan killed his father's pregnant girlfriend.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_758372.html

Prosecutors didn't want the case moved to juvenile court, but the Superior Court asked the judge who favored them to reconsider.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_757184.html

The trial, which was set to start on September 27 has been delayed while the Tribune fights to open it to the public.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_758774.html

Edited by susieice

: ‘There is no indication of any provocation by the victim that led to her killing. The offence was an execution-style killing of a defenceless pregnant young mother.

‘A more horrific crime is difficult to imagine. It is not likely the defendant can be rehabilitated prior to the expiration of the juvenile court jurisdiction.

'Brown is an individual with significant personality problems that are complicated by his presenting to people .

So, he has had mental evaluations. According to the first post, he took the shell casing with him and threw it out the bus window. It had his finger prints on it and matches the guns the child owns. So, I would say the 'innocent until proven guilty' speech is pretty much moot. They have evidence, they have the child's actions...the way I see it, he did it, was jealous of the mom and the baby, didn't want the the two girls to see what he did, the reason why he covered the gun, as he didn't want them to interfer with the crime or to be caught before he completed it. This was premeditated. He planned out what he was going to do. This is not an innocent little boy, he had plenty of time to reflect on what he was contemplating and decided to go through with it. This is a scary kid and the arguments for his rights really bothers me, what about the victim's rights? What about potential future victims rights? Why can't the law abiding citizens be protected from people like this?

He hasn't been found guilty of what he's been accused of so lets calm down a bit, yeah?

If this is about rehabilitation, then he shouldn't get life.

If this is about punishment then he should get life.

If Jordan is found guilty and convicted of the crime, in adult court, he would recieve a mandatory life without parole sentence. I would whole-heartily support that but I couldn't support a death sentence for one so young. Now it appears as though it's been put into juvenile court which could mean a much earlier release date. I think the Tribune is right to have the trial opened to the public. People have the right to know what happened that day and what this boy's sentencing was based on. I'm sure the years he's spent waiting for trial have given him time to think about what he did, but that doesn't indicate whether he is or isn't rehabilitatable. The public should be made aware of any decision reached in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with this.

In England & Wales the age of criminal responsibilty is 10. So if you commit a crime at the age of 10 you are tried like an adult. This is what happened to Jon Venables and Robert Thompson in 1993 when, at the age of just 10, they brutally murdered two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool.

In Scotland the age of criminal responsibilty is 8.

However, in Pennsylvania there is no minimum age of criminal responsibility.

Edited by Blackwhite

• 4 months later...

It took almost 3 years from the time of the crime for this boy's trial to come up and I pretty much forgot about it until I came across this today. He was found guilty of 1st degree murder on Friday April 13, but he was tried in juvenile court. I guess he will be released when he is 21 years old. Not so sure I'm in agreement with this. I didn't want a death penalty but the article says the boy and his father are still in denial over his guilt. Don't see how that will change now, even with a conviction.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-pa-boy-killed-dads-pregnant-fianc-e-204920885.html

Edited by susieice

glad he was found guilty - hopefully (in a perfect world) he would never be released...

It was obviously planned and premeditated.He will do it again if hes released.Hes a sociopath.

Yeah, we'll be hearing about him again someday. He's not just a sociopath, but a psychopathic double-murderer. Good luck to those who run into him when he's all grown up.

It took almost 3 years from the time of the crime for this boy's trial to come up and I pretty much forgot about it until I came across this today. He was found guilty of 1st degree murder on Friday April 13, but he was tried in juvenile court. I guess he will be released when he is 21 years old. Not so sure I'm in agreement with this. I didn't want a death penalty but the article says the boy and his father are still in denial over his guilt. Don't see how that will change now, even with a conviction.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-pa-boy-killed-dads-pregnant-fianc-e-204920885.html

Susieice, I agree that he should get a much longer sentence and chance at rehabilitation than just the few years he will be in juvenile. He is a classic sociopath in my opinion, he killed in cold blood and tried to deceive law enforcement with his lies. I also don't agree that a death penalty or even a life sentence would be appropriate for this child, but he needs long, extremely intensive psychological treatment. If they kept him for 15-25 years with signs of continuous progress with his psychological problems, them maybe he should be released under a very strict parole. However, you and I both know that a sociopath/psychopath cannot be rehabilitated, especially after the link between violence and pleasure has been cemented in the brain. I will say that I am not a psychologist of any sort, so maybe he isn't a classic sociopath, but he needs some serious help with his mental issues. I just don't see how a few years in juvie is going to acheive any kind of success in turning this boys behavior around for the long-term.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

I agree HHH. I thought part of the sentencing was to balance on whether or not the boy admitted his guilt. Juvenile court must have changed all that. No chance of rehabilitating someone who won't take responsibility for what he did. He'll just deny everything. Wish this had stayed in adult court. Released from juvie probably won't even get him a period of probation much less parole. He could fool us, but I'd be watching him real close if I lived around him.

Hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. He loaded the shotgun. Planned the murder. He knew what his was doing.

Hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. He loaded the shotgun. Planned the murder. He knew what his was doing.

That won't happen. He was tried in juvenile court and will be released when he is 21. Unless he does something else in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

what the fudgesicles. the death penalty is wrong on so many levels. i just find it sad how here in england a man gets 5 years for RAPE. rape which traumatises the victim.its awful. the kid killed someone and their baby. he needs to go away for ages. he knows that shooting people is wrong.