Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the man with no face

xXstarzgirlXx

this story is from urban leagends website. i found it and thought it was kewl to share it with u guys!

One of the most famous intravenous drugs for generating stories about bizarre behavior was phencyclidine: "angel dust," or "PCP." Although little is heard anymore about angel dust, it was well known for its ability to both addle and confer superhuman powers upon its abusers, or so the stories went. Tales of "some guy who was dusted" going berserk and beating up six cops before fifteen more managed to subdue him abounded. In my work in the [New York General Hospital], I witnessed some exceedingly strange dust-induced behavior, including one patient who’d done the most bizarre thing to himself I’d ever seen or heard of in my life.

This man smoked dust one day and surprised his friends by politely excusing himself to the bathroom, bringing along his two Doberman pinschers. In the bathroom he opened the medicine cabinet, removed a straightedge razor, cut off his own facial features one by one, and fed them to his dogs. He emerged from the bathroom with no ears, nose, eyelids, lips, or cheeks, and two happy-looking dogs.

His friends, now fairly distraught, brought him to the NYG emergency room, where the plastic and head and neck surgeons p***ed in their pants with excitement. They took him straight to the operating room. Jokes emerged immediately. The man lost face, the surgeons tried to save face, etc., etc.

In order to create a new face for this unfortunate patient, the surgeons did a "pectoral flap," a fascinating procedure in which the pectoral (chest) muscle is removed and reimplanted at another site on a patient’s body. The surgeon’s don’t remove the muscle completely, but leave intact his main artery and vein. The muscle is then "flapped" to the spot where it’s needed, presumably a hole that is too deep to be filled by mere skin grafting, and sewn in place. Eventually, it grows a new blood supply at the transplant site and the surgeons remove the original artery and vein. The man with no face had two pectoral flaps done, one from each side of his chest to each side of his face. Once the muscles were well established in their new locations the surgeons took him back to the OR about two hundred times to cut and shape and revise the graft to create a new face for him.

I know the story of the man with no face is true because I saw him walking down the hall a few weeks after he was admitted. He was wearing a surgical hood turned back in front, with two holes cut out for his eyes, like the "elephant man."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simbi Laveau

• Dis Pater

• Old Man Waffles

• xYlvax

I remember reading this before, though not on the urban legends website, it's quite an old story. Poor bloke if it's true but I doubt it.

Sounds like that part in Hannibal :P

• Like 1

Heard that before. There's a picture floating around of the guy's cut-up face with a caption describing what happened (presumably from a forensic/medical textbook). Dunno if they really managed to patch him up though.

Sounds like that part in Hannibal :P

Doesn't just 'sound like,' that *is* a flashback scene in Hannibal. Now whether it is based on fact or not, I cannot say, but Gary Oldman rasps out at the end of his self-mutilation, "That's Entertainment!"

That's really horrible. Geez, what drugs can do...

Drugs are not nice :angry2:

• 1 year later...

These are just my opinions on this story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with me. I can't prove if the story is true, but then, I guess, neither can anyone else, short of getting actual files of the event, files that can be proved in a court of law, or by a science expert.

snopes.com also has the bulk of this story, the story with the docs "p***ing their pants in excitement" over the man's medical problems, etc.

For right now, I'm going to treat the story as a fictional story.

Looking at it as fiction, there's a big hole in this story: How did the man's friends 1) find out the man cut pieces of his face and 2) how did the friends find out the pieces were in the dogs? The problems with 1) + 2) are- I don't think he could use his voice to tell them what happened, or write with a pen and tell them what happened.

Such as: How could he write them a note + tell what happened? He had the dexterity, while on PCP, to use a razor + cut stuff off, but I think he was too stoned to write anything. Using your arm + hand to write a sentence is a lot harder than slashing a peach, or a face, with a Sweeney Todd-type straight razor, I think. I don't think he'd have the complicated finger control, that most of us use to write, to write a message on a piece of paper. If he's so stoned he can't feel his own cheek being cut off...hm, you can't feel your cheek at all, so how can you feel [your hand] at all + write with it? I don't think that the human body works like that.

Not related, but he could have chosen the toilet, and not his dogs, to flush pieces of flesh away. Why would people assume that the dogs ate the parts? He could have just cut stuff off, then flush the parts down the toilet.

Could he exit the bathroom + talk, telling people what happened? That's a big part of the plot hole in the story. So, he exits the bathroom...how does he talk to people, + tell them what happened, [without his cheeks + lips on his face]?

Please do this little number, (and please don't injure or bite yourself doing it):stick your index finders + middle fingers, of both hands, inside your cheeks. Now pull your cheeks away from your teeth. Now try to talk, with your cheeks held out like that, and don't move your lips, while you talk. This lips + cheeks trick will mimic someone, who has no lips or teeth, who is trying to talk to you. I doesn't work when I do it. Try this lips + teeth trick, with your fingers, and read the "man with no face story", aloud. You'll probably be impossible to understand.

So, no, since the story doesn't say how the man told his friends what he did, + the story doesn't doesn't tell us how his friends, or anyone else, found out what he did, I choose not to believe this story.

Yes, he could have cut up himself, then walked out of the bathroom, but then how did anyone, in the story, find out what he did with the parts, like feeding the parts to the dogs?

This sounds like the "gross out" stories that me + my friends would pass around, when we were 12.

Or like the [really hard to believe stories], that people stop believing, when they are nine. These are stories like: "never put an orange seed in your ear! If you do, the seed will grow, and an ORANGE TREE will come out of your EAR!"

By the way, yes, don't put orange seeds in your ear. You won't get a tree, but that's unsafe to do with orange seeds.

So, because I see no way that the man could tell people about feeding stuff to his dogs, I choose to think that it's fake.

Once again, these are just my opinions of the story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with them.

Cheers, TRthedude

That's really horrible. Geez, what drugs can do...

I Agree. :cat:

It is possible to not be able to feel your face. Such as when you go to the dentist also someone I personally know who used to smoke Cannabis went to the doctors panicing because she couldn't feel her face because she smoked some that was super strong. She ended up being fine.

• 8 months later...

There's actually a guy with no face, because his face got burnt of by fire. There's a video of him on youtube.

These are just my opinions on this story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with me. I can't prove if the story is true, but then, I guess, neither can anyone else, short of getting actual files of the event, files that can be proved in a court of law, or by a science expert.

snopes.com also has the bulk of this story, the story with the docs "p***ing their pants in excitement" over the man's medical problems, etc.

Looking at it as fiction, there's a big hole in this story: How did the man's friends 1) find out the man cut pieces of his face and 2) how did the friends find out the pieces were in the dogs? The problems with 1) + 2) are- I don't think he could use his voice to tell them what happened, or write with a pen and tell them what happened.

Such as: How could he write them a note + tell what happened? He had the dexterity, while on PCP, to use a razor + cut stuff off, but I think he was too stoned to write anything. Using your arm + hand to write a sentence is a lot harder than slashing a peach, or a face, with a Sweeney Todd-type straight razor, I think. I don't think he'd have the complicated finger control, that most of us use to write, to write a message on a piece of paper. If he's so stoned he can't feel his own cheek being cut off...hm, you can't feel your cheek at all, so how can you feel [your hand] at all + write with it? I don't think that the human body works like that.

Not related, but he could have chosen the toilet, and not his dogs, to flush pieces of flesh away. Why would people assume that the dogs ate the parts? He could have just cut stuff off, then flush the parts down the toilet.

Could he exit the bathroom + talk, telling people what happened? That's a big part of the plot hole in the story. So, he exits the bathroom...how does he talk to people, + tell them what happened, [without his cheeks + lips on his face]?

Please do this little number, (and please don't injure or bite yourself doing it):stick your index finders + middle fingers, of both hands, inside your cheeks. Now pull your cheeks away from your teeth. Now try to talk, with your cheeks held out like that, and don't move your lips, while you talk. This lips + cheeks trick will mimic someone, who has no lips or teeth, who is trying to talk to you. I doesn't work when I do it. Try this lips + teeth trick, with your fingers, and read the "man with no face story", aloud. You'll probably be impossible to understand.

So, no, since the story doesn't say how the man told his friends what he did, + the story doesn't doesn't tell us how his friends, or anyone else, found out what he did, I choose not to believe this story.

Yes, he could have cut up himself, then walked out of the bathroom, but then how did anyone, in the story, find out what he did with the parts, like feeding the parts to the dogs?

This sounds like the "gross out" stories that me + my friends would pass around, when we were 12.

Or like the [really hard to believe stories], that people stop believing, when they are nine. These are stories like: "never put an orange seed in your ear! If you do, the seed will grow, and an ORANGE TREE will come out of your EAR!"

By the way, yes, don't put orange seeds in your ear. You won't get a tree, but that's unsafe to do with orange seeds.

So, because I see no way that the man could tell people about feeding stuff to his dogs, I choose to think that it's fake.

Once again, these are just my opinions of the story. Please, no one has to agree or disagree with them.

Cheers, TRthedude

The only part you may have right is in him feeding it to his dogs....if you search hard enough(pretty easy actually) you will find pictures and testimony of him after he did it and also pictures of him when he went into ER...will warn people that they are not pretty so only look if you are not squeamish

Oh god,

If this is true, its horrific to think about.

People do awful things when using drugs. I guess at least he only did damage to himself (if its true)

When i was about 15, one of my friends lived across road from me.

After school one night we were watching tv while his mum was cooking tea.

A copper knocked on the door and asked to speak to his mum. I noticed a police woman came in too.

My friends brother had simply walked off the top of a multi storey car park after dropping acid (lsd)

I left soon as i could.

He was 20 yrs old :(

Bad news

• 1 month later...

There's actually a guy with no face, because his face got burnt of by fire. There's a video of him on youtube.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy,I'm thinking of.There is a photo of a man at wickipedia,can't recall his name. This gentleman as a child back in the days of strret cars got electrocuted and lived, but had terrible damage to his face . I think he's known as the Green man.

How did he avoid bleeding to death?... Head and face wounds bleed very freely, and if there was any delay in getting him to medical attention - well - he must have made a mess!!..

I did a dust patient in Manhattan back in the 90s.He was in a store on the east side,topless ,no shoes,in khakis,screaming all the snakes were after him.

It took about 15 cops to restrain him.

He was big and buff.

He just kept screaming about the snakes.

SNAKES ! THE SNAKES ARE COMING AT ME,GET THE SNAKES AWAY FROM ME.

hes sweating like a pig,so he probably mixed it with something to boot.

It took the cops about 15 minutes to get it all under control.

I remember wrapping the extra straps from the scoop stretcher around his arms,as the cuffs didn't keep him secure.

It was scary .

We took him to Bellevue ,and as we were moving him from the ambulance stretcher to the E/R stretcher,he kept kicking out his feet .

So everyone is trying to get the arm restraints tied,so I sat on his knees,so he couldn't kick.

I was facing his head.

I probably weighed about 112-115 ,and he just bent his legs at the knees,and shot them straight out,and I flew a good 12 feet across the room,into a wall.

No joke.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

this story is from urban leagends website. i found it and thought it was kewl to share it with u guys!

One of the most famous intravenous drugs for generating stories about bizarre behavior was phencyclidine: "angel dust," or "PCP." Although little is heard anymore about angel dust, it was well known for its ability to both addle and confer superhuman powers upon its abusers, or so the stories went. Tales of "some guy who was dusted" going berserk and beating up six cops before fifteen more managed to subdue him abounded. In my work in the [New York General Hospital], I witnessed some exceedingly strange dust-induced behavior, including one patient who’d done the most bizarre thing to himself I’d ever seen or heard of in my life.

This man smoked dust one day and surprised his friends by politely excusing himself to the bathroom, bringing along his two Doberman pinschers. In the bathroom he opened the medicine cabinet, removed a straightedge razor, cut off his own facial features one by one, and fed them to his dogs. He emerged from the bathroom with no ears, nose, eyelids, lips, or cheeks, and two happy-looking dogs.

His friends, now fairly distraught, brought him to the NYG emergency room, where the plastic and head and neck surgeons p***ed in their pants with excitement. They took him straight to the operating room. Jokes emerged immediately. The man lost face, the surgeons tried to save face, etc., etc.

In order to create a new face for this unfortunate patient, the surgeons did a "pectoral flap," a fascinating procedure in which the pectoral (chest) muscle is removed and reimplanted at another site on a patient’s body. The surgeon’s don’t remove the muscle completely, but leave intact his main artery and vein. The muscle is then "flapped" to the spot where it’s needed, presumably a hole that is too deep to be filled by mere skin grafting, and sewn in place. Eventually, it grows a new blood supply at the transplant site and the surgeons remove the original artery and vein. The man with no face had two pectoral flaps done, one from each side of his chest to each side of his face. Once the muscles were well established in their new locations the surgeons took him back to the OR about two hundred times to cut and shape and revise the graft to create a new face for him.

I know the story of the man with no face is true because I saw him walking down the hall a few weeks after he was admitted. He was wearing a surgical hood turned back in front, with two holes cut out for his eyes, like the "elephant man."

Where is new York general hospital ? I've never heard of it.

Cheers, TRthedude

When you work in the emergency medical field in NYC,you hear all the stories that are outstanding,whether you were there,or not.

All the medical emergency personnel know one another.We gossip.

Some guys take photos,which I personally find offensive.

I know guys with extensive scrap books of photos.

So,I think it's fictional.

I never heard this story ,out of any E/R in the 5 boros anyway.

When you work in the emergency medical field in NYC,you hear all the stories that are outstanding,whether you were there,or not.

All the medical emergency personnel know one another.We gossip.

Some guys take photos,which I personally find offensive.

I know guys with extensive scrap books of photos.

So,I think it's fictional.

I never heard this story ,out of any E/R in the 5 boros anyway.

ignore this-sorry

Edited by Dis Pater

Cheers, TRthedude

Here is the article that Snopes based there findings on.Regardless of if they believe it or not,the picture included does certainly look....gruesome shall we say.

Don't click the link if you are squeemish..

My link

Here is the article that Snopes based there findings on.Regardless of if they believe it or not,the picture included does certainly look....gruesome shall we say.

Don't click the link if you are squeemish..

My link

Interesting

I've stopped believing the veracity of snopes,as they absolutely lie on pages regarding govenrment cupability ,but this ,no reason to lie.

I am sure its possible it happened.

He would have lost huge amounts of blood though.

He's still alive ?

Interesting

I've stopped believing the veracity of snopes,as they absolutely lie on pages regarding govenrment cupability ,but this ,no reason to lie.

I am sure its possible it happened.

He would have lost huge amounts of blood though.

He's still alive ?

Yes apparently so.I did find a picture once of what he is like now but for the life of me i cant find where the hell it was.If i find it i will post it up.

To me its very believable that a person under a drug like PCP could go completely psychotic and in a fit of rage,cut off is face and gouge out his eyeball. Geez I've heard of people slicing off their private parts and gouging out their own eyes without supposedly being on drugs, so this is completely under the realm of possibility. I remember back in the day looking at a self mutilation site out of curiosity(no I'm not into cutting myself :no: ),and seeing some absolutely horrific stuff these people were doing to their bodies just for attention.

The thing that is unbelievable is the part where he politely excuses himself from his friends to use the restroom and then goes slices off his face and feeds it to the dogs.Thats a version of the story that is apparently wrong as the original author of that account claims. It does seem implausible that a guy would just politely excuse himself from his friends with no indication anything was wrong, and then go absolutely berserk in the restroom.He would most likely already been highly unstable and very abusive towards his friends before he left for the restroom in my opinion.I think that's how rumors often make a true story into a half truth because by the time the story gets around a different version of what happened is bound to be told

Edited by mattryan209