Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Monster bug' attaches itself to submarine

Still Waters

A bizarre-looking giant crustacean has been found after it latched onto a submarine deep underwater and was dragged to the surface, according to reports.

Images of the 75cm creature — which has been identified as an exceptionally large isopod — have caused a stir online after they were posted on the social media website Reddit.

A user of the website claimed to have received the images from a contractor who worked with him at a sub-sea survey company.

"Recently this beast came up attached to one of our ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicle) … it latched onto the ROV at roughly 8,500 feet (2600m) depth.

"The ship he was operating from (and therefore location) is unknown, so I can't tell you what part of the Earth this beast was living."

The user's vague description of the origin of the photo has sparked concerns it may be just an April Fools' Day joke, but experts claim it appears to be legitimate.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNibs

• Grimmace

• Mattshark

• BiffSplitkins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a hoax to me. That thing doesn't even look real.

Giant%20Isopod%202_slideshow_604x500.jpg

Giant isopods are important scavengers in the deep-sea; they are found from the gloomy zones at a depth of 560 feet to the pitch darkness of the bathypelagic zone at 7,020 feet and beyond, where pressures are high and temperatures are very low -- down to about 39 degrees. They are thought to prefer a muddy or clay substrate and lead solitary lives.

Wow, if those are real I wonder what they taste like? Lobster perhaps? :P

Wow, if those are real I wonder what they taste like? Lobster perhaps? :P

Hmm...I'll let some one else find out.

I wonder if they can roll up in a ball like a roly-poly (pill bug).

I used to feed roly-poly bugs to my sister. Mwahahahahahaha..

Nibs

Hmm...I'll let some one else find out.

I wonder if they can roll up in a ball like a roly-poly (pill bug).

I used to feed roly-poly bugs to my sister. Mwahahahahahaha..

Nibs

Apparently wood lice (pill bugs) are a traditional foot, there are the same family as prawn/crab/lobster. They are apparently nice fried.

Apparently wood lice (pill bugs) are a traditional foot, there are the same family as prawn/crab/lobster. They are apparently nice fried.

yuck.jpg

but I do love lobster and crab...not brave enough to go for wood lice or giant isopods.

Nibs

Creepy bug. *Pokes it*

this looks like one of those found in the fossil records, you know the extinct ones. same segmented body too. lobbsters crabs spiders and pill bugs are all in the same family. in fact the oldest known crab or life, the horseshoe crab is really a spider.

The first pic looks almost laughably fake (corse they laughed when they first saw the platypus), but the other ones are a bit more convincing. I am anxious to see what April 2nd brings. :tu:

A question. Can they be house broken, and will a leash fit around their necks.....I would love to take one for a walk, be able to meet new and interesting friends that way :w00t:

Peace

mark

That is one big ugly critter..... :o

The silver tinted eyes are weird, remind me of the aliens from independence day. lol

Looks like a Florida cockroach. Things that make you want to go EEEEH!

I think it's kinda cute. Don't some people keep them as pets?

giantisopods_doritos1.jpg

Edited by Purplos

That thing is just screaming to be put in a pot and drenched in melted butter! :rofl:

So...it's a giant roly poly?

Ok.