Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Written Language of Ancient Scotland Disc

behaviour???

The ancestors of modern Scottish people left behind mysterious, carved stones that new research has just determined contain the written language of the Picts, an Iron Age society that existed in Scotland from 300 to 843.

The highly stylized rock engravings, found on what are known as the Pictish Stones, had once been thought to be rock art or tied to heraldry.The new study, published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A, instead concludes that the engravings represent the long lost language of the Picts, a confederation of Celtic tribes that lived in modern-day eastern and northern Scotland.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Thanks

B???

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hetrodoxly

• Mandrake

• behaviour???

• Alien Being

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool too bad we can't read it.

Cool too bad we can't read it.

* Snip *

Edited by Still Waters
Removed inflammatory comment

If the Celtic Knot is now considered to possibly be language, has any formal move been made to compare the Celtic Knots with Khipu, the string and knot-based records of the Incans?

Not that they have solved that language either, but similarities between the two might help.

*sigh*

Still waiting on those bas-reliefs worshiping Dagon to be uncovered :(

U got to go to the Louvre there is one "lower relieved" Dagon but you know those French, they would place a pic on the web.. go to make the money :P

Edited by Paracelse

The Picts were not Celts. Celts came during and after the Roman invasion, and to different parts of Northern Britain. They were, according to Roman records, also of varied appearance and were generally called Picto by the Romans because they painted themselves. It is certain that the Picts did not suddenly appear in 300ad but hark back a long way in pre-history. Studies have concluded that they traded marine tusks with mainland Europe and the Roman Empire was a huge destination for Pictish ivory.

Being Scots and with roots in the NE, this subject fascinates me and I take a great deal of pride in the fact that the Romans could not conquer the Picts. There are some brilliant books out there that postualate some exciting conclusions based upon archaeological evidence. I tend to agree with observations that the Picts were superb sailors and even made it to Canada.

It is without doubt that the Picts has a spoken language, and without doubt as many dialiects as there were communities, given their isolated nature. I cannot see there being one Pictish language however.

I also recall being advised by my Mother (who knitted as a hobby) that Orkney and Shetland jumpers had various kitting cables running through them that sort of told a story. One was for calm sea, one for stormy seas, one for married people, one for good fortune, one to represent fish etc etc.

These guys seem certain that this a language when it could just be symbolism.

Good link:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~Halfmoon/

* Snip *

Now, now! :no:

Only those who call themselves MPs and have their snouts in the trough... :angry2:

Edited by Still Waters
Removed inflammatory comment from quote

Being Scots and with roots in the NE, this subject fascinates me and I take a great deal of pride in the fact that the Romans could not conquer the Picts.

I thought the Romans did conquer the Picts? found nothing they wanted and few to tax so built a series of walls, (the last being Hadrians) to mark the boundary of their northern empire.

* Snip *

?

Someone has issues.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed inflammatory comment from quote

?

Someone has issues.

That was just English, Scottish banter usually no offence is taken on both sides, can't believe it was snipped?