Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Not a carpenter: Jesus 'was the son of a

Still Waters

It's a somewhat different version of the greatest story ever told.

Rather than being born in a stable to a carpenter father, Jesus was actually the son of a successful, middle class and highly intellectual architect.

The claim comes from biblical scholar Dr Adam Bradford, who also says that between the ages of 12 and 30 - the so-called 'missing years' of Jesus's life, when little is known about him - he was studying at religious schools and became the highest-ranking rabbi in Judea.

The radical revision of Christian history would suggest that, in preaching the spurning of worldly possessions for an austere life, Jesus may have been speaking from experience.

Dr Bradford has analysed the Bible's original Greek and Hebrew scriptures to try to establish the truth about Christ's background.

He says a mistranslation of the Greek word 'tekton' to describe the profession of Joseph, Jesus's father, is one of many mistakes that have led to a fundamental misunderstanding of Christ's character.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Imaginarynumber1

• Beckys_Mom

• Belial

• Doc Socks Junior

Aha so thats who designed the Roman Colisseum...... tsk tsk the irony LOL

EDIT - think about it though... When jesus is said to have been on the cross, his last words could have been - I am dying for all of your sins...but you lot are all going down with me... check out my blue prints if you dont believe me loltongue.gif

Joke people... lol seriously just a joke... I couldnt resist

What attracted me to this thread was the title itself.. it reads - Jesus was a son of a..... <-- I had to enter to see if there was a punchlinelaugh.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Not really seeing how it matters, even if he was the son of a court jester, the message he gave still remains the same.

Aha so thats who designed the Roman Colisseum...... tsk tsk the irony LOL

EDIT - think about it though... When jesus is said to have been on the cross, his last words could have been - I am dying for all of your sins...but you lot are all going down with me... check out my blue prints if you dont believe me loltongue.gif

Joke people... lol seriously just a joke... I couldnt resist

What attracted me to this thread was the title itself.. it reads - Jesus was a son of a..... <-- I had to enter to see if there was a punchlinelaugh.gif

Ok that gets a double :lol::lol:

The idea that Jesus father was a archtect make sense why would a lowly carpenter have to report for tax perposes he would be to low on the social order for taxing. But a archtect would fit the profile for taxable purpose because he would more likely have a steady income and would be on the tax roles due to his job.

Geeez yet another book about who Jesus is :rolleyes: . I like the one that came out in the early 70's stating that Jesus founded a mushroom cult LOL. The Gospels seem to indicate that one reason they did not accept Jesus was because he was the son of Joeshp the carpenter and therefore confused where his wisdom came from. If he was away studying I think the villagers may have responded differntly.....

Peace

mark

I saw this movie where Jesus, the police chief of Amity Island, tries to protect beachgoers from a giant great white shark by closing the beach, only to be overruled by the town council, which wants the beach to remain open to draw a profit from tourists during the summer season. Then after some other stuff happens, Jesus hunts the shark and blows up an air canister up in its mouth, killing the deadly shark and restoring peace to the Island of Amity.

Pretty sure it was Jesus.... or maybe it was Roy Scheider.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Lol jesus as a new life style and upbringing, turns nose up and walks away :innocent:

Lol jesus as a new life style and upbringing, turns nose up and walks away :innocent:

I saw this movie where Jesus, the police chief of Amity Island, tries to protect beachgoers from a giant great white shark by closing the beach, only to be overruled by the town council, which wants the beach to remain open to draw a profit from tourists during the summer season. Then after some other stuff happens, Jesus hunts the shark and blows up an air canister up in its mouth, killing the deadly shark and restoring peace to the Island of Amity.

Pretty sure it was Jesus.... or maybe it was Roy Scheider.

Welcome to UM and thanks for the :lol:

Welcome to UM and thanks for the laugh.gif

Thanks for the welcome. Long time reader, new poster.

Not really seeing how it matters, even if he was the son of a court jester, the message he gave still remains the same.

Probably because it's a book about history, not about religion.

Its just a story. Have you guys noticed the story of Jesus is no at all original? I have lost total faith in the whole catholic system. They are all hypocrites. They lie about priests molesting children and they live in a palace with enough gold to end starvation. I see all these huge churches full of uneeded things it just make me sick to my stomach. With all their preaching of living a better life and yet they live like kings. End of rant.

Its just a story. Have you guys noticed the story of Jesus is no at all original? I have lost total faith in the whole catholic system. They are all hypocrites. They lie about priests molesting children and they live in a palace with enough gold to end starvation. I see all these huge churches full of uneeded things it just make me sick to my stomach. With all their preaching of living a better life and yet they live like kings. End of rant.

Have you noticed that your rant is not at all intelligent? I have lost total faith in your ability to reason coherently. (I'm not saying I ever had faith, I was just echoing your first two sentences. Fun fun fun. Anyway, back to refution now.)

That whole spiel was somewhat indicative of misunderstanding and bias. So, for the sake of pity and charity, I'm going to assume that you didn't know any better. Let's do a point by point analysis of your claims.

They lie about priests molesting children

Do they now? I think that they've admitted it by now. And been castigated by the media and public, definitively out of proportion to the amount. Look at the public school system, and try to tell me the the Catholic Church is a horrible den of hypocrisy and child abuse.

they live in a palace with enough gold to end starvation.

Wow, that's...an interesting claim. Also, for the sake of clarity, it's untrue. Thought you should know that. Who are "they" incidentally? All Catholics? Just to speed this up, I'll assume you're talking about the Pope. So, he lives in the Vatican. Why is that a bad thing? As for, "enough gold to end starvation" that's laughable enough that I'm not going to bother proving it wrong.

All the rest of your rant was like this. Thankfully, it wasn't very long, so the measurable Stanford-Binet points lost were negligible. In the future, please restrict your comments to the scope of reason.

Thank you. As I've said before, comments like that are the reason my esteemed predecessor drank the hemlock quickly.

-socrates

It's a rant, get over it, Sock. They happen. And yeah, there are bits and pieces of the Jesus tradition that are pulled from other places. Most traditions are embellished like that.

No, comments like that are not the reason Socrates drank the Hemlock quickly, we don't know the reason, but it was probably like, "Better get this over with rather than suffer needlessly." Your reaction is as bad as the ranter.

Unless more discoveries of the like of Nag Hammadi are made, we never know the whole truth about that man. Even some of the dead sea scrolls are in the hand of Christian Church who will not have them translated properly. In the article, there are no mention of the teaching of Didimus Thomas, JC's brothere named "twin twin".

Have you noticed that your rant is not at all intelligent? I have lost total faith in your ability to reason coherently.

rolleyes.gif Why is this? because he said he no longer holds faith? So its tit for tat... he rants you rant.. sigh.....sleepy.gif Edited by Beckys_Mom

Have you noticed that your rant is not at all intelligent? I have lost total faith in your ability to reason coherently. (I'm not saying I ever had faith, I was just echoing your first two sentences. Fun fun fun. Anyway, back to refution now.)

That whole spiel was somewhat indicative of misunderstanding and bias. So, for the sake of pity and charity, I'm going to assume that you didn't know any better. Let's do a point by point analysis of your claims.

Do they now? I think that they've admitted it by now. And been castigated by the media and public, definitively out of proportion to the amount. Look at the public school system, and try to tell me the the Catholic Church is a horrible den of hypocrisy and child abuse.

Wow, that's...an interesting claim. Also, for the sake of clarity, it's untrue. Thought you should know that. Who are "they" incidentally? All Catholics? Just to speed this up, I'll assume you're talking about the Pope. So, he lives in the Vatican. Why is that a bad thing? As for, "enough gold to end starvation" that's laughable enough that I'm not going to bother proving it wrong.

All the rest of your rant was like this. Thankfully, it wasn't very long, so the measurable Stanford-Binet points lost were negligible. In the future, please restrict your comments to the scope of reason.

Thank you. As I've said before, comments like that are the reason my esteemed predecessor drank the hemlock quickly.

-socrates

As myself am a Roman Catholic, the Church was and is guilty about the molestation issue.These men and even cases invovling nuns should have been taken seriously,and not swept under the rug. There were even good priests and sisters who were suspicious of activites going on with a priest at some parish or school, and complained to the bishop about it, but nothing was done. Instead the Church just moved them around ,instead of going to the police and having an investigation done.If the allegations turned out to be true,then the molestor should have been turned over to the civil authorities to be charged with the crime. This is what makes ordinary Catholics angry.That the bishop of a diocese could have put a stop to these crimes,but didn't.Techfreak, i have a book about various heresies in the Middle Ages. That again was one of the complaints of the people.The Church had great wealth, many,especially the higher clergy such as bishops etc. lived like kings.many of the common man and woman felt that the Church and it's priestsweren't living as the apostles did, that they were too concerned with worldly things.Not all monasteries of monks and nuns were bastions of virture either.they wanted a poor church for a poor people.

As far as good St.Joseph being an architect, maybe.But the bible always speaks of him as a carpenter. He may have built furniture, worked on building homes,etc.If we could find more of the Nag Hammadi as Paracelse mentioned it might lead to a better understand of Jesus and His family.Discoveries are made every day,and it's possible more gospels could turn up.

Trying to make the whole bible thing modern i think ;)

rolleyes.gif Why is this? because he said he no longer holds faith? So its tit for tat... he rants you rant.. sigh.....sleepy.gif

It didn't have anything to do with him not holding faith anymore. But, yeah, I didn't react well to it. And I'd like to apologize for ranting in response to a rant.

Sorry guys :(

Well if they changed so many things about his life.... What makes U think they hadn't changed his words to?

Well if they changed so many things about his life.... What makes U think they hadn't changed his words to?

Good point. What makes anyone sure they are even his words to begin with?

"Biblical scholar"? My backside twitches when I hear those words. Don't quite know why.... :unsure2:

Rather than being born in a stable to a carpenter father, Jesus was actually the son of a successful, middle class and highly intellectual architect.

architect , in those days? what a full of crap.

architect , in those days? what a full of crap.

Architects built buildings like temples - Herod's Temple had stones excavated weighing 400 tons (in Jerusalem museum). How did they lift them? Herod's temple was 150 feet tall. No cranes - how did they get the stones up so high? We have lost the knowledge they had - look at the pyramids.

Joseph being a tekton (technician comes from that, also architect, tectonic plates) might explain why Jesus was never dismissed by the authorities as uneducated or side-lined as irrelevant. I checked the site and there is an mp3 link to a lecture on this at www.templehouse-publishing.com

Slightly different take to the traditional chair maker line...

Good point. What makes anyone sure they are even his words to begin with?

There is a 1st century manuscript from John's gospel in Manchester Uni Library. By the second century there were hundreds. That means they were important to folk. Comparing them shows high textual accuracy - ie they were copied accurately from a common source. Jesus said some pretty amazing things, on a genius level. If he didn't say them then someone else is a genius, who decided to give the credit to a dead Jewish carpenter? Not likely.