Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arctic ice increased during freezing winter

Still Waters

The amount of sea ice covering the Arctic has dramatically increased during the cold winter, reaching levels not seen at this time of year for almost a decade.

Unusually cold weather, caused by the same patterns that have given Britain its coldest winter for decades, has resulted in levels of ice cover in line with longer-term averages for the first time since 2001.

The trend was illustrated in figures for March published by the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC) in Colorado.

It has prompted climate change sceptics to question claims the North Pole could be free of ice during summer by 2013.

However, the NSIDC stressed the March rise in ice could not be taken as a sign that global warming is coming to an end.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• Mattshark

• glyndowers heir

• Professor Buzzkill

of course global warming is not ending. but perhaps they should reconsider how much affect man is having on it.

Well I for one am damn annoyed! :angry2:

I'll be losing thousands if Global Warming doesn't come to pass! :cry:

I was promised by the GW crowd that the sea levels would rise enough for my Welsh Hill top cottage to become an Island retreat.

I've already bought the jetski and Glass bottomed boat for my Sub aqua tours of aberystwyth business!

And now you say it won't happen! Bah! :no:

Well I for one am damn annoyed! :angry2:

I'll be losing thousands if Global Warming doesn't come to pass! :cry:

I was promised by the GW crowd that the sea levels would rise enough for my Welsh Hill top cottage to become an Island retreat.

I've already bought the jetski and Glass bottomed boat for my Sub aqua tours of aberystwyth business!

And now you say it won't happen! Bah! :no:

you can still use your glass bottomed boat, you just wont be able to see the empire state building through it,

you can still use your glass bottomed boat, you just wont be able to see the empire state building through it,

I wont be able to - its halfway up a darn hill! :lol:

Wales to New York for a Scuba trip? Its a glass bottomed boat not the QE2! :lol:

I wont be able to - its halfway up a darn hill! :lol:

Wales to New York for a Scuba trip? Its a glass bottomed boat not the QE2! :lol:

ok ok you wont be able to see big ben through it then,

ok ok you wont be able to see big ben through it then,

Maybe if I fitted it with an underwater telescope then? :unsure2:

Is anyone really suprised by this? Anyone with half a brain knew that this AGW bull is all about taxes not saving the planet.

If CO2 was going to kill us all right away (or even in 1000 years) CO2 production would be banned outright, not taxed.

Is anyone really suprised by this? Anyone with half a brain knew that this AGW bull is all about taxes not saving the planet.

If CO2 was going to kill us all right away (or even in 1000 years) CO2 production would be banned outright, not taxed.

Yeah, shame they don't have the other half to address all the other evidence isn't it?

Your last line is beyond naive.

But hey, lets see what the NSIDC say

Overview of conditions

Arctic sea ice extent averaged for February 2010 was 14.58 million square kilometers (5.63 million square miles). This was 1.06 million square kilometers (409,000 square miles) below the 1979 to 2000 average for February, but 220,000 square kilometers (85,000 square miles) above the record low for the month, which occurred in February 2005.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Can't beat some rubbish being spouted by an agenda driven newspaper and treating it as science eh?

Edited by Mattshark

Yeah, shame they don't have the other half to address all the other evidence isn't it?

Can't beat some rubbish being spouted by an agenda driven newspaper and treating it as science eh?

too bad you cant read your own table. according to your own table the amount of sea ice is going up. it was predicted to be dropping.

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png

And your logic behind the unexpected reversal of the trend?

And your logic behind the unexpected reversal of the trend?

Systems are complex and have to be viewed over extended periods. Now wasn't that simple.

Br Cornelius

Systems are complex and have to be viewed over extended periods. Now wasn't that simple.

Br Cornelius

It is amazing how often people don't grasp this isn't it!

too bad you cant read your own table. according to your own table the amount of sea ice is going up. it was predicted to be dropping.

Oh Daniel, that is a table with averages and 2007 and 201o, not predictions. Don't let reading things get in the way though ;)

Edited by Mattshark

Well I for one am damn annoyed! :angry2: I'll be losing thousands if Global Warming doesn't come to pass! :cry: I was promised by the GW crowd that the sea levels would rise enough for my Welsh Hill top cottage to become an Island retreat. I've already bought the jetski and Glass bottomed boat for my Sub aqua tours of aberystwyth business!And now you say it won't happen! Bah! :no:

I wont be able to - its halfway up a darn hill! :lol: Wales to New York for a Scuba trip? Its a glass bottomed boat not the QE2! :lol:

Brilliant. :lol::D

The Global warming band wagon as fell apart. the wheels come off first after a bit of wibble wobble. now its in ruins. encased in a block of ice the irony.

Brilliant. :lol::D

The Global warming band wagon as fell apart. the wheels come off first after a bit of wibble wobble. now its in ruins. encased in a block of ice the irony.

Yeah, if you ignore things like facts, don't understand atmospheric and believe in short termism, ignore evidence and refuse to acknowledge things.

Funny how no one discussed the report showing that CRU had not falsified their data on here isn't it. ;)

I read yesterday that there are no official scientific bodies who doubt the existence of AGW - not even the ones associated with mining and energy interests.

So the scientific and engineering community are all but unanimous on this one, that represents a large section of those informed enough to make informed judgments on the subject.

I wonder therefore where all the sceptical hot air is coming from ??

Br Cornelius

It is amazing how often people don't grasp this isn't it!

Oh Daniel, that is a table with averages and 2007 and 201o, not predictions. Don't let reading things get in the way though ;)

nice way to dismiss your own evidence.

nice way to dismiss your own evidence.

I'm not, you are as usual misrepresenting it.

I'm not, you are as usual misrepresenting it.

no i am not. your tables show that the ice is increasing not decreasing. doesnt matter if its an average or a prediction.

no i am not. your tables show that the ice is increasing not decreasing. doesnt matter if its an average or a prediction.

You really are finding it that hard to understand? I'll put it in very simple terms for you.

Ice increased over a cold winter, it is below the average, it is above the lowest level recorded.

Does that make sense now?