Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Chupacabras in Arizona?

doomgirl

The sighting took place in September, 2003 about eight miles SSE of Arivaca, Arizona in the Cerro Colorado Mountains, about 15-16 miles north of the Mexico/U.S. border. Arivaca is between Tucson and Nogales, Arizona. The Cerro Colorado Mountains are a moderate size desert range rising out of the desert to a height of about 2,000 feet above the floor. There are plenty of animals there, including bighorn sheep, deer, javalina, coyotes, fox, bobcats, mountain lions and numerous small game. Water is abundant as this is mostly the high desert.

It was about 30 minutes after sundown; twilight would go for an hour or more. I had finished an afternoon scouting for deer as the hunting season opens the first week of November. I was on horseback about 1.5 miles from camp up in the rocks when I found a dead bighorn sheep lamb.

The thing looked like it had been killed within the hour. There was a nasty-looking bloody hole in its throat just above the chest area. It appeared that the predator had eaten the heart and blood, nothing else. There was some blood on the ground but not as much as I would have thought for that type of wound. This is not the way the cats in Arizona kill and eat.

I looked around and picked up the trail of a three- possibly four-toed animal with each toe about the length of my finger with a claw or nail on the end of each one. I had never seen a track like that in all the years I've spent in the wild. I remounted and followed the tracks across the face of the mountain then down a draw. Looking down, I saw the thing about 50 feet below me headed down hill; I followed it. After a bit, it knew the horse was there and turned to face it, then saw me and moved more rapidly down hill, but it couldn't out run the horse. (I've hunted mountain lions on this horse so she's used to the hunt.)

Its stride was about 1.5 feet walking upright and 5-8 feet when moving on three or four limbs and possibly 15-20 when making a funny hop. It had a funny gait, almost a lope, but little jumps and sometimes bounds were involved. It only looked back at me three times that I saw. It finally got down to a steep rocky area that is full of cracks, crevasses and holes between the boulders. In the thing went. I circled around to the other side in hopes of picking its trail back up, but it had disappeared in the rocks. In all, I had it in sight for about 10 minutes and covered about 1/2 of a mile.

The thing looked like a cross between the Creature from the Black Lagoon and a rhesus monkey. It moved on both two, three and four legs/arms. It stood about 3.5-4 feet tall when standing and weighed, I would guess, about 50-60 lbs. It had large lemur-like eyes, brown skin, possibly fine fur, a large bald or hairless head, enlarged buttocks, and thick hind limbs. When I say it looked like a cross between the Creature from the Black Lagoon, it's because of the protrusions along its back. Not spikes because they were flexible and they moved as it ran - almost like four folding hand fans opening and closing along the pleats. It had claws or long gray nails on at least three of the digits on the left front and rear. It had more of a snout than a nose. I didn't see any teeth. It had a dead meat smell, but not rotten meat, no doubt because it had just fed.

I returned to the lamb the next morning and it was still there. Now that is truly unnatural as the area has lots of coyotes, fox, bobcats, mountain lions and badgers. All are carrion and meat eaters and none had even gotten close to the kill. I watched with binoculars later as the buzzards found and begin eating it. I went to the boulders, but could find no further evidence of the thing. I have seen a lot in my day; I've even been followed by a jaguar. I've lived most of my life outside the city in the Arizona Desert and have never seen anything alive or dead that slightly resembles the thing I followed. - Gus

Source

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hunterkiller2001

• mypaddedroom

• man_in_mudboots

• Falco Rex

Hmm... one would think while scouting in an area populated by large predators, that you'd be carrying A DAMN GUN!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but if i was out hunting, scouting, camping.. and i saw something extraordinary like this, i would have shot it, hit it with a rock, or taken it on to the death.. hand to paw.

I just wonder how long it'll be till people see these things hopping in the snow of upstate NY.

hmmmmm....thats very interesting. 4 feet high you say? thats a very wierd find indeed. for some reason, i actually believe you. did it have ears? could you please describe the face with more detail for me? im good at making pictures out of discriptions. my dad is a police sketch artist and taught me alot. ill make a pic and scan it onto da com and post it.

I just wonder how long it'll be till people see these things hopping in the snow of upstate NY.

there have already been sightings in new york state. pennsylvania, ohio, louisiana, florida, and minnesota too, and then almost all the states bordering mexico or states bordering states bordering mexico. chupas are becoming a very trendy beast to sight.

the one off the coast of washington state? i havent heard of one, but of course i dont know much about chupas.

there have already been sightings in new york state.

Then it has a date with a .45 if it ever comes within 200 yards of me.

Creepy article I just hope I don't see one up here, I would stay in doors for a long time, or maybe just stay away from it.

i'd really like to see one. but i like all this paranormal crap:) and ive seen stuff before, so i wouldnt be THAT afraid....

Just a question to you all,

What would you do if you stood near a window and you would see one outside.

I would lock all doors and stay as far away from all the windows as possible.

I always think they will attack when you approach(how you spell it??) them.

I have a fully stocked gun cabinet. I'll leave the rest of the question up to your imagination..

i thought you doomgirl was the one who saw and was ready to ask you some questions, didnt know it was from an article.

I have a fully stocked gun cabinet. I'll leave the rest of the question up to your imagination..

Amen

The question is.. Which caliber? And would you go for a head, or a body shot?

If you take out the head, you've effectivly ruined the look of the animal.

If you go for the body, it could effectivly ruin the look of you.

Edited by hunterkiller2001

Well, give that people who claim to have shot at it always say they miss or the bullets "Have no effect" I'd have to go with a carefully aimed head-shot with a 22. Rifle...

It should put it down without too much damage to the exterior of the skull. I wouldn't waste my one in a million chance risking a body shot that it might still be able to run away after, and any large caliber might destroy too much of the creature.

I'm looking at getting an AR-15, only gonna cost about a grand.

Semi-auto, so it's completely legal, and If i can get my hands on a pre-ban reciever, i can modify the gun in anyway i feel like.

user posted image

This is my GF with my most recent gun.

It's a Pre-ban Ruger Mini-30, Fires 7.62 Nato, and not even Caddy would stand a chance.

post-9-1088740079.jpg

Edited by hunterkiller2001

i thought you doomgirl was the one who saw and was ready to ask you some questions, didnt know it was from an article.

sorry, nope not my experience, just something I found blink.gif

if i saw a cryptid, i dont care, id rally the whole neighborhood and go after it. we would have a whole army of ten people!

bah, screw the whole neighborhood..

thats just more people who will want a share of the millions you sell the body for.

whistling2.gif

who said we were selling the body? nah, we know a real good taxidermist down the road who needs to stay in practice......

Hmm... one would think while scouting in an area populated by large predators, that you'd be carrying A DAMN GUN!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but if i was out hunting, scouting, camping.. and i saw something extraordinary like this, i would have shot it, hit it with a rock, or taken it on to the death.. hand to paw.

Finally someone smart! haha

hell yeah I would have took a gun a shotgun or something. PLus I most likely would have went with more than 5 people at the least. That would have been FUN to go hunting for something like that I wanna go now.

That would have been FUN to go hunting for something like that I wanna go now.

Have you your goat costume handy D12 ? Chupacabra is no mere animal. It is a goat sucker and a predator. Do not underestimate its cleverness.

You must fool it , to get close enough to smite it. This, moe knows from experience.

Moe advises D12 and his crew to make use of the following costume before undergoing such a venture.

user posted image

LMFAO Moe.

I'd use live bait.

anyway..

hell yeah I would have took a gun a shotgun or something. PLus I most likely would have went with more than 5 people at the least. That would have been FUN to go hunting for something like that I wanna go now.

As I've said in previous posts, why take other people? If your clever enough, you can take the thing down single handed.

I wouldn't go hunting for something like this with a shotgun.

I'd take the AR-15 i showed in a previous post, and I'd use Tungsten carbide (a.k.a. armor piercing) .223 caliber ammunition.

In some encounters with the paranormal, bullets have been said to have no effect on such creatures.

If armor piercing rounds had no effect on the creature, the only other "small arms" ammunition that may have an effect is a .50 depleted uranium round, such as used by the military.

Well I''d like to see you go out there. Thinkng you can take it by yourself. laugh.gif See you may think you can, but it may be more tricky than you think.