Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frankie Boyle: Down syndrome jokes....

TSS

Comedian Frankie Boyle had an on-stage run-in with a mother of a Down's syndrome child after he made fun of victims.

The former panellist on BBC quiz Mock The Week devoted five minutes of a stand-up show to a foul tirade against sufferers and their parents by criticising their hair, clothing and voices.

He then turned on the audience, picking on a couple - Sharon and Keiron Smith - in the front row and accusing them of talking.

Laughter turned to awkward silence when Mrs Smith told Boyle: 'My daughter has Down's syndrome and I'm very upset.'

Boyle was unrepentant. He made fun of the couple before saying: 'This is my last tour. I don't give a **** what people think.'

Link

Can comedy go to far? Should there be boundaries, even in comedy?

It's sounds like a very awkward moment for all concerned, but this is Frankie Boyle, you know what your going to get when you go to see him, and if your not sure then the tour name alone should tell you, as his tour is called "I'd happily punch every one of you in the face".

This isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he left 'mock the week' after constant criticism of his jokes, one in particular about the Queen.

I think he's a great comedian, very dark in his material in general, some of his stuff makes me cringe, but I guess that's his appeal...

What say you?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS

• Siara

• ExpandMyMind

• Purplos

Link

It's sounds like a very awkward moment for all concerned, but this is Frankie Boyle, you know what your going to get when you go to see him, and if your not sure then the tour name alone should tell you, as his tour is called "I'd happily punch every one of you in the face".

This isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he left 'mock the week' after constant criticism of his jokes, one in particular about the Queen.

I think he's a great comedian, very dark in his material in general, some of his stuff makes me cringe, but I guess that's his appeal...

What say you?

I agree there...going to someone like that........is like letting him punch you in the face........but to make fun of anyone with down syndrome.....is more than wrong.............maybe .....he should be put in the situation where he has a child with it..............that will be his own punch in the face :)

Edited by cluey

Link

What say you?

Its bad alright

But that said . I am completly against any sort of censorship. And everyone has a right to say what they want. No matter how offensive it is. For christ sake they can,t say christmas on American T.v they have to say '' the holidays''. This PC culture we seem to be in is sick

Didn't family guy touch on this?

unfortunately comedy is about taking the p*** out of people, I mean I have had piles and the jokes about that, I didn't mind it made me feel quite better because it is such a painful complaint to have. laughter makes us all feel better.

So If I fall over are people gonna laugh? I HOPE THEY DO BECAUSE IT IS BLOODY FUNNY.:lol: I will be laughing with them.:yes:

Can't take life so seriously half the time you can't do anything about the situation so laugh and enjoy life.:D

Comedians can do whatever they want, and going to see an offensive comedian and planning not to get offended is silly.

However, can't comedians come up with better comedy than picking on disabled kids? That's really rather grade school.

Comedians can do whatever they want, and going to see an offensive comedian and planning not to get offended is silly.

However, can't comedians come up with better comedy than picking on disabled kids? That's really rather grade school.

That's it really, isn't it?

I think jokes like this are stupid, but I could care less that some comedian does it. I just wouldn't listen to it...Maybe I'd just get up and leave, I dunno.

It's not censorship if we let them talk, and we just don't listen, is it?

But, and honestly, I do feel sorry for this mother....but don't you think at some point during this guys act, he said something offensive about other things? Was the mother upset then? It's only not funny when it becomes personal.

Why would you buy tickets to go see Frankie Boyle, when this is what he does.

He makes dark jokes. That's why he's hilarious, because he's so anti-PC. He isn't making fun of YOU, he's making fun of the people who get shocked. A jokes a joke, and it doesn't mean people react differently to - subjects joke - but humanizes them.

Edit:

I suppose this looks worse than it is for people who're not of the U.K. But, those who are from the U.K, would see this as something that makes Boyle, Boyle.

Edited by GreyWeather

So called comedians who have to resort to telling jokes about Down's syndrome and similar, need to get their act together. Jokes of that nature are just not funny imo. A real comedian doesn't need to use people with any kind of disability as a butt for their jokes in order to gain popularity and a few extra laughs. That's not talent, that's just sick.

I agree there...going to someone like that........is like letting him punch you in the face........but to make fun of anyone with down syndrome.....is more than wrong.............maybe .....he should be put in the situation where he has a child with it..............that will be his own punch in the face :)

Wait, so you can let someone punch you in the face, and even pay for them to do it AND have a right to b**** about it afterward?

people need to lighten up. jokes are harmless and there should never be boundaries. not race, mental health, politics or any 'taboo to mainstream' subject.

So called comedians who have to resort to telling jokes about Down's syndrome and similar, need to get their act together. Jokes of that nature are just not funny imo. A real comedian doesn't need to use people with any kind of disability as a butt for their jokes in order to gain popularity and a few extra laughs. That's not talent, that's just sick.

I think he's doing it because he wants too, not because he has too.

If you pay to go see a comedian who is known for his dark humour and offensive jokes then that's what you are going to get. It would be like going to pay and see Roy chubby brown and then getting all upset at his offensive jokes or going to see Bernard manning and then getting offended at his racist jokes.

In my opinion anyone who gets offended over comedy is pathetic. Especially to pay to see the comedian and then get offended when you know they tell dark jokes. My favorite comedian is George Carlin and he has never offended me, I have never been offended by a comedian.

George Carlin once said that the point of comedy was to find where the line is, then cross it. They have the right to leave and demand a refund but not to interrupt his show.

And besides, the jokes where you cringe while you laugh are the best kind.

So called comedians who have to resort to telling jokes about Down's syndrome and similar, need to get their act together. Jokes of that nature are just not funny imo

Disagree with bolded. I must imagine that comedy is one of the single most subjective things that exist

in this world.

The woman who interrupted Mr. Boyle needs to grow up. She is perhaps one of the worst kinds of people, one

who can laugh at the expense of other, but if anything is directed towards her it suddenly goes too far.

When it comes to comedy either everything is okay or nothing is.

Disagree with bolded. I must imagine that comedy is one of the single most subjective things that exist

in this world.

The woman who interrupted Mr. Boyle needs to grow up. She is perhaps one of the worst kinds of people, one

who can laugh at the expense of other, but if anything is directed towards her it suddenly goes too far.

When it comes to comedy either everything is okay or nothing is.

Agreed. She is a hypocrite.

The mother of the downs child must of known of his reputation as a very risky comic, he was banned from the BBC for god sake, hes one of the best new generation comics out there all other comics love him and yes he can be to the bone sometimes but thats what a comic is supposed to do, make light of the dark in life.

Agreed. She is a hypocrite.

I dont see what her problem is.

If I had a child like that I'd laugh at it too lol.

(See these jokes are funny!)

I'll go along with that - Frankie wont last, he'll soon be forgotten by the sands of time, because he only appeals to a minority.

I'll go along with that - Frankie wont last, he'll soon be forgotten by the sands of time, because he only appeals to a minority.

almost all comedians (with only a few exceptions) appeal to just a minority of people. it's the nature of the job.

Lol I've been naughty.

It seems there is no trace of my smutty down syndromes joke or the humour some of the posters felt after it.

Shame I must find an 18+ forum.

Lol I've been naughty.

It seems there is no trace of my smutty down syndromes joke or the humour some of the posters felt after it.

Shame I must find an 18+ forum.

yeah, both of our comments really weren't acceptable for younger readers though, which is why i never mentioned it.

yeah, both of our comments really weren't acceptable for younger readers though, which is why i never mentioned it.

lol its shame it was a good one.

I can't tell from reading the story in more depth whether or not they went there with the intention of challenging him on his jokes. If they went with that in mind I don't know what they were thinking. There are real prejudices in the real world that should be much higher up on the list of things to get indignant about. Nobody was going to come out of that show with their views on Down's Syndrome children changed, and going up against a professional comedian on a serious issue when everyone's paid good money to laugh isn't going to score you any brownie points.

There's also the point of equality... Frankie Boyle takes the p*** out of everything from celebrities to child abuse; why single out his joke about Down's Syndrome children (by no means one of his worst) for moral outrage. What are we going to do, ban all comedians from making jokes about disabled people in case they can't handle it? Isn't that a bit patronising?

We either have sanitised, 'wholesome' comedians like my gran used to like or cutting edge wits that offend everyone they can.

So she got offended because her daughter has Down Syndrom? Ok, yes... but hes a Comedian... hes job is to offend people and make others laugh at it.

~Thanato