Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frankie Boyle: Down syndrome jokes....

TSS

Like I said before, I couldn't care less what comedians decide to say, but:

hes job is to offend people and make others laugh at it.

I really don't understand how offending people is funny. I don't get it.

And that's not some self-righteous, "He's a big bully!" squawking. Not at all.

I really just don't understand how people find that kind of stuff humorous.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS

• Siara

• ExpandMyMind

• Purplos

Like I said before, I couldn't care less what comedians decide to say, but:

I really don't understand how offending people is funny. I don't get it.

And that's not some self-righteous, "He's a big bully!" squawking. Not at all.

I really just don't understand how people find that kind of stuff humorous.

It's to get people to stop taking themselves too seriously. A lot of comedians (like Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and George Carlin) pulled it off masterfully. Others (like Andrew Dice Clay) fail.

people need to lighten up. jokes are harmless and there should never be boundaries. not race, mental health, politics or any 'taboo to mainstream' subject.

So September 11 jokes are fine?

Holocaust jokes?

Jokes about your mother?

Holocaust jokes?

Jokes about your mother?

Yep, they are all fine.

The only limit in comedy should come from what comic people choose to listen too, not the material a comic chooses to use.

With all the divide in the world, just about the only thing we all do seem to have in common is laughter - it's up to the individual to decide what they find funny, but it's not their job to censor a comic.

Holocaust jokes?

Jokes about your mother?

yes, indeed they are.

i probably wouldn't tell any myself (unless they were really funny), as they are not (especially the first two) in good taste at all, but i wouldn't mind anyone else telling them to people.

you should really watch south park, especially the episode where 'aids becomes funny'.

Edited by expandmymind

Holocaust jokes?

Jokes about your mother?

My big fat jewish mother survived the holocaust but died in 911.

yep, fine..

Agreed. She is a hypocrite.

:yes:

You cannot go to see Frankie Boyle and expect him to be inoffensive. If you're going to laugh at jokes that are potentially highly offensive to others, you cannot expect to be spared yourself. He's offensive about pretty much everything and everyone, that is the point. And as somebody said, I don't believe he has to 'resort' to it, he chooses to do it. If you don't like that particular brand of comedy, don't watch it. There are things I find cringe-worthy but I would be very reluctant to say it should be banned because I am personally offended by it as I'm well aware I do appreciate dark humour that may be extremely offensive to others, I just choose not to watch it. I may think differently if specific groups are continuously targetted and picked apart but he's just universally offensive!

Edited by Cetacea

In comedy, everything should be allowed in my opinion.

The couple that reacted to Frankie Boyle were spineless little morons, because they gladly sat there hearing everyone else be mocked regardless of their situation, but when something targeted them they suddenly got infuriated.

Additionally, I'll say that if you refuse to mock disabled people, then you are dehumanizing them, somehow making them more fragile and weaker than the rest of us, and that is real mockery in my opinion.

Sure disabled people have it hard enough without someone making it worse, and it's quite a cheap shot, but nothing to be enraged over.

A friend of mine was on her way back from lunch one time when she was in high school, and noticed the "special" (mentally handicapped) kids standing around in front of a school bus on decently sized area of grass. Their instructor was no where to be found as she had to momentarily run back inside due to forgetting something. Needless to say, they were supposed to go on a field trip that day, until...the sprinklers came on! This apparently caused multiple whirlwinds of handicapped frenzies. LOL, that's actually a true story, I laughed and just couldn't help it.

Comedians should not be censored in any shape or form.

But the community at large should not be censored either if they choose to be vocal in showing their anger with him.

The mother of the downs child must of known of his reputation as a very risky comic, he was banned from the BBC for god sake, hes one of the best new generation comics out there all other comics love him and yes he can be to the bone sometimes but thats what a comic is supposed to do, make light of the dark in life.

Really!!!! good for him, Why did they ban him? not left wing enough?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

George Carlin once said that the point of comedy was to find where the line is, then cross it. They have the right to leave and demand a refund but not to interrupt his show.

And besides, the jokes where you cringe while you laugh are the best kind.

Carlin was way above the rest in my opinion. I know everybody mentions Hicks when speaking of the greats - but Carlin was the Godfather of comedy for me.

until...the sprinklers came on! This apparently caused multiple whirlwinds of handicapped frenzies. LOL, that's actually a true story, I laughed and just couldn't help it.

See... that's funny because something funny happened and there was a humorous response. It would be funny if it happened to a bunch of non-handicapped people too.

Making jokes about down syndrome people's hair and voices? That's just juvenile taunting. It's not offensive to me (nothing really is), but it's just lame humor.

Link

Can comedy go to far? Should there be boundaries, even in comedy?

I don't think there can be boundaries (1st Amendment), but I think companies have a right not to broadcast humor they find disgusting, and I think individual people have a right to speak up and criticize tasteless humor. I guess I think there should be control on humor that incites physical violence against other citizens.

Edited by Siara

I don't think their can be boundaries (1st Amendment), but I think companies have a right not to broadcast humor they find disgusting, and I think individual people have a right to speak up and criticize tasteless humor. I guess I think there should be control on humor that incites physical violence against other citizens.

I would have to disagree with you. I don't think their should be any control whatsoever, however shocking or distasteful it may appear, or even if it incites violence against other citizens......because regardless of what is being said, you can not remove it from the arena of being laughed at. I would hate to see that happen.

I don't think the BBC is left-wing.

Some people think EVERYTHING is too left wing. When I was a little kid some people (probably the same personality types) thought everything was too right wing. Tiresome, isn't it?

I would have to disagree with you. I don't think their should be any control whatsoever, however shocking or distasteful it may appear, or even if it incites violence against other citizens......because regardless of what is being said, you can not remove it from the arena of being laughed at. I would hate to see that happen.

You think that all stations should be forced to air a routine that informs the public on how to make pipe bombs and, for example, blow up black churches? Some people think that sort of thing is hilarious.

You think that all stations should be forced to air a routine that informs the public on how to make pipe bombs and, for example, blow up black churches? Some people think that sort of thing is hilarious.

No, I never said any station should be forced to air anything - but I don't think they should be censored from doing so if they wish to either.

If a comedy routine involved talking about making bombs or blowing up churches, that shouldn't be censored either, since it is clearly being said in a comedy setting.

Like I said, nothing should be off bounds with comedy, nothing at all.

I don't think the BBC is left-wing.

Ha ha ha ha.....good one ...like it.

"Hey everyone, come & see what this guy just wrote..."

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Like I said, nothing should be off bounds with comedy, nothing at all.

How about revealing troop positions when your country is at war? Example- "Three spies were hanging around the shelter in the cave north of Al Blah-Blah-ka, and the first one said..."

How about revealing troop positions when your country is at war? Example- "Three spies were hanging around the shelter in the cave north of Al Blah-Blah-ka, and the first one said..."

Yep, that's fine, if a comedian knows that info then it's hardly a well kept secret is it.

I can assure you, no scenario you come up with will change my mind - we have restrictions on just about everything, so as not to offend this person, or that person, or just to generally shut us up....leave comedy alone, everything is fair game, and I do mean everything.

Okay, now you're just stretching it. I think he meant nothing off bounds when it comes to offensive material, not off bounds when it comes to classified material. Jesus...

Edited by gabe

That's it really, isn't it?

I think jokes like this are stupid, but I could care less that some comedian does it. I just wouldn't listen to it...Maybe I'd just get up and leave, I dunno.

It's not censorship if we let them talk, and we just don't listen, is it?

But, and honestly, I do feel sorry for this mother....but don't you think at some point during this guys act, he said something offensive about other things? Was the mother upset then? It's only not funny when it becomes personal.

I heard the woman on the radio, saying that she did laugh at the other jokes before the ones she found offensive. After that point, the comedian (who I can't remember his name, good friends with Frankie Boyle) and the other people on the air who were debating it practically tore her whole argument apart.

He often jokes about 9/11, people with cancer, poking fun at victims of sexual abuse, hell he got into trouble for that joke about the Queen which I can't explain in a family friendly manner if you haven't heard it! You can't laugh at that stuff and then take offense at the Down's syndrome comments.

As others have said, if you even think that you could be quite easily offended, you don't pay to go and watch Frankie Boyle.

Edited by storminateacup

Okay, now you're just stretching it. I think he meant nothing of bounds when it comes to offensive material, not of bounds when it comes to classified materiel. Jesus...

I would consider the specifics of how to construct a bomb to be material that doesn't need to be circulated. I know I'm stretching it, but I'm really not stretching it much.

I take it from your answer that you would consider revealing troop positions to be inappropriate. It could endanger our troops. Instructions on making a bomb could endanger civilians, and yet he is arguing that that should be okay. Where's the line?