Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drug addicts offered cash to stop reproducing

Still Waters

Addicts are being offered up to £200 cash to be sterilised so they do not give birth to drug dependent children.

A controversial American charity is now offering the service to addicts in the UK and has set up a helpline for those interested.

Pro-life campaigners said the offer was "inhuman".

Project Prevention claims to have stopped 3,500 drink and drugs addicts from having more children by paying them to be sterilised.

t has now received £13,000 from an anonymous British donor to help launch a similar service in the UK.

But the campaigner behind the scheme, Barbara Harris, from North Carolina, shrugged off concerns that the money will just be spent on buying more drugs.

And anyone in Britain taking up the offer will still be expected to have the treatment done on the NHS at the taxpayer's expense.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alien Being

• ExpandMyMind

• acidhead

• J.B.

personally i believe that once we have advanced to a level where sterilisation is relatively safe, and can be reversed, all people should be sterilised at puberty and forced to apply to become a parent. i mean, jesus, we need a license to have a dog in this country, but any ******** can make a child?

mind you, i don't doubt that many will disagree with me, but i have had the misfortune of being brought up in areas where bad parenting, teenage parents, junkie parents, parents that only have children for the government money, and non-existent parents were rife - everywhere you looked (not to mention the offspring). and i've seen, and i'm sure we all have in some form, the effect this has on a community, and furthermore an entire nation. it needs to be stopped, somehow, because at the rate this is going, in decades to come we'll have nation that will be essentially dying.

to ruddy right!!!! lets do something to make the world a better place, this is a good start.

personally i believe that once we have advanced to a level where sterilisation is relatively safe, and can be reversed, all people should be sterilised at puberty and forced to apply to become a parent. i mean, jesus, we need a license to have a dog in this country, but any ******** can make a child?

mind you, i don't doubt that many will disagree with me, but i have had the misfortune of being brought up in areas where bad parenting, teenage parents, junkie parents, parents that only have children for the government money, and non-existent parents were rife - everywhere you looked (not to mention the offspring). and i've seen, and i'm sure we all have in some form, the effect this has on a community, and furthermore an entire nation. it needs to be stopped, somehow, because at the rate this is going, in decades to come we'll have nation that will be essentially dying.

I agree

Citizens should have to do military service or get a degree to be automatically unsterilized. As for everybody else there application should be subject to a check list such as crimes committed, disabilities, etc, etc

I agree

Citizens should have to do military service or get a degree to be automatically unsterilized. As for everybody else there application should be subject to a check list such as crimes committed, disabilities, etc, etc

i don't think crimes committed should play too big part in it, with the exception of the obvious crimes, (murder, rape, paedophelia, etc).

or most 'disabilities' for that matter.

i wasn't suggesting some sort of extreme eugenics system. more just that future parents would have to be financially stable, worked most of their adult life (with obvious exceptions) and other important criteria, including being responsible members of society. all i think we need is better cared for and educated children, not more 'biologically evolved' ones.

Ok, what if a couple get permission to have a child, then gets divorced. Could the one who has the child marry a person that is not allowed to have a child. That way this person would get one for free. What if they then get divorced or maybe the first one dies, then the second one could marry an other person that is not allowed to have a child, and they both have a child even when they should not have one.

There are a lot of ways to handle that. Hell, there are a few arguments for not playing god, which is what this would be. Playing god and sterilizing people who weren't born sterile.

The way to handle the pre-existing child issue, lol, can't believe I said that, would be to not allow people with children to marry people who weren't qualified to have them. That's the softest way to handle it without making the whole exercise a pointless expense.

This is horribly wrong and goes against each principle that guarantees rights to life.

The government should never EVER have authority to use taxpayers money in such a way that it encourages sterilization through means of manipulation when the individual is suffering an illness.

This is very wrong on many levels.

Problem-Reaction-Solution comes immediately to mind.

This isn't the government. It's a charity group doing it. Remember, under the healthcare laws over there in England, they cover healthcare through the taxes.

As long as no adult is forced do this against their will, it's a great idea.

There are a lot of ways to handle that. Hell, there are a few arguments for not playing god, which is what this would be. Playing god and sterilizing people who weren't born sterile.

The way to handle the pre-existing child issue, lol, can't believe I said that, would be to not allow people with children to marry people who weren't qualified to have them. That's the softest way to handle it without making the whole exercise a pointless expense.

Who decides J.B.?....

Each person in the western world should be free to choose what is best for them..... not a bureaucrat. -not ever!

Edited by acidhead

Don't derail the current subject, and also, I never said I supported the idea. I said it was playing God. But, I play the Devil's advocate, so I think through how things could be made to work. Hence I told them the best way to pull that off.

I wonder what stops the same charity to operate in developing countries? Voila! - and the demographic problem is solved!

I wonder what stops the same charity to operate in developing countries? Voila! - and the demographic problem is solved!

Many of those developing countries are run by people who will either co-opt and abuse such a charity, or will kick them out. Only China and India, I think, would welcome such a thing.

As long as no adult is forced do this against their will, it's a great idea.

I agree. It's their own choice if they decide to sterilize themselves for 200 bucks.

I agree. It's their own choice if they decide to sterilize themselves for 200 bucks.

I disagree.

Obviously they need the money for their addiction. This is clearly taking advantage of someone while they're down. What a horrible way to go about things.

This is inhumane, and frankly, sick.

So when one of them cleans up, comes back to life and realizes what horrible decisions they've made and lead somewhat normal lives, they can't reproduce?

Unthinkable.

I disagree.

Obviously they need the money for their addiction. This is clearly taking advantage of someone while they're down. What a horrible way to go about things.

So when one of them cleans up, comes back to life and realizes what horrible decisions they've made and lead somewhat normal lives, they can't reproduce?

Unthinkable.

I don't find giving someone an option to make money sick or inhumane so long as it's always nothing more than an option. If they're the least bit concerned about having children later on in life and still have the procedure done then it's a mistake they'll have to live with, simple as that.

Millions of people go through life without having kids, it's nothing new.

Unthinkable.

I agree, I think its a horrible thing to offer to people who would just be trying to get money while they are in a time of their life when they need help and support.

I also thought you couldnt really sign contracts if you were under the influence of sustances? so to ask an addict to sign away their children for money while they are just wanting their next fix is wrong I think. It's almost like a predator taking advantage of someone who is drunk and out of money.

And having a woman's tubes tied or a man having a vasectomy are both reversable if they choose.

I don't find giving someone an option to make money sick or inhumane so long as it's always nothing more than an option. If they're the least bit concerned about having children later on in life and still have the procedure done then it's a mistake they'll have to live with, simple as that.

So you're saying that a days worth of drugs is equal to a life changing decision to not reproduce, a human right?

Forgive me if I don't understand your logic.

Ok, what if a couple get permission to have a child, then gets divorced. Could the one who has the child marry a person that is not allowed to have a child. That way this person would get one for free. What if they then get divorced or maybe the first one dies, then the second one could marry an other person that is not allowed to have a child, and they both have a child even when they should not have one.

i realise that i shouldn't have started to speculate on what the possible criteria for such a program could entail. that's a massive can of worms. i agree, it could get very complicated.

This is horribly wrong and goes against each principle that guarantees rights to life.

i agree that we should guard the right to live, but not the right to create it. and although i feel my views on this subject would be a productive if implemented, i could only go along with it if the majority of the population also agreed.

marabod brought up an interesting point. would this be used in the third world to curb population growth? or other methods. i hadn't thought of that angle.

israel have already used similar methods (primarily) with the widely discriminated against ethiopian jews in the country. but as far as i'm aware, they don't get a choice in the matter. as have south africa during apartheid.

Edited by expandmymind

exactly this. if it is a matter of choice then fair play to anyone who wishes to go down that road.

exactly this. if it is a matter of choice then fair play to anyone who wishes to go down that road.

Bull.

These people are sick. I am a recovering alcoholic (my grandfather was an alcoholic). My dad is fine and doesn't drink at all. I guess I should have never been born huh?

I pay taxes, I work hard.

Why shouldn't I have the opportunity of having children? That's what you're really saying.

I remember when human kind had a thing called compassion.

I agree

:tu:

Then offer the same service for free(so dont pay the addicts)and see how many want to take it up.

Fair play/choice indeed.

Edited by Kazahel