Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doggerland

Sceptical believer

Viking Bergen Island is an island which is said to have existed between modern day Shetland, and mainland Norway. The location is now referred to as the Viking Bergen Banks. Like Dogger Bank off England, it was inundated after rising sea levels due to the complications of the Ice Age. It disappeared several thousand years ago.

Oddly it may have survived in folk memory.

http://shetlopedia.c..._Island#_note-0

And this is that 'folk memory' :

The cormorants of Utrøst

Translation into English by Marie Lams.

On their way home, the fishermen of the Northland often find bits of straw on the rudders of their boats, or barley grains in the stomachs of the fish they have caught. Then they say that they have gone through Utrøst or one of the other enchanted lands described in the legends of the Northlands. They are revealed only to the devout, or people with second sight in peril at sea, and they appear in places where there is no real land. The inhabitants of these magic lands till the soil, raise sheep and go fishing like other people, but there the sun shines on greener meadows and richer fields than anywhere else in the Northland: happy the man who lands on one of these sunny little islands, or even gets a glimpse of one. "He’s safe", the people up there will say. An old song in the Peder Dass style gives a complete description of an island off Træna, in Helgeland, called Sandflesa; the water abounds with fish and the woods with all kinds of game.

Read the rest here: http://web.tiscaline...cormo_tale3.htm

I have serious doubts this legend is about the Viking Bergen. The legend mentions the location of this 'mythical' land: "the middle of the Vestfjord". That's just off the coast of Norway, almost glued to the coast and a lot further to the north.

The Viking Bergen (Viking Mountains) are much further offshore, between the Shetland Islands and Norway:

posisjoner.gif

doggerlandou5-1.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

From the same Dutch link:

Dutch:

Op 6 april 1580 heeft een vloedgolf na een onderzeese aardbeving de stad Calais en omgeving overspoeld. De dag erop volgde een tweede tsunami bij Mont St. Michel in Normandië. Volgens overlevenden had die een golfhoogte van meer dan 15 meter.

English:

On April 6, 1580, a tidal wave flooded the town of Calais and its surroundings after an undersea earthquake. On the day that followed a second tsunami occurred at Mont St. Michel in Normandy. According to survivors the wave had a height of more than 15 meters.

And this must have been 'just a minor' earth-quake on/near the Dogger Bank.

The Storegga Slide, however, wasn't just one single event: it occured several times in the past thousands of years in the North Sea area, and long after after the one that flushed Doggerland down the drain.

I lost the link to the paper that mentioned the other slides (not only the Storegga Slide, but others occurring near Norway).

I will find it again.

In the meantine, watch this video again, and know the tsunami caused by the Storegga Slide may have lasted for days.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW430fAJfek

Edited by Abramelin

All interesting stuff Abe.

All interesting stuff Abe.

I hope it gets better, lol.

=

OK, this is what I was searching for:

Evidence for three North Sea tsunamis at the Shetland Islands between 8000 and 1500 years ago

Stein Bondevika, , , Jan Mangerudb, Sue Dawsonc, Alastair Dawsonc, Øystein Lohneb

Abstract

Coastal fen- and lake deposits enclose sand layers that record at least three Holocene tsunamis at the Shetland Islands. The oldest is the well-known Storegga tsunami (ca 8100 cal yr BP), which at the Shetlands invaded coastal lakes and ran up peaty hillsides where it deposited sand layers up to 9.2 m above present high tide level. Because sea level at ca 8100 cal yr BP was at least 10–15 m below present day sea level, the runup exceeded 20 m. In two lakes, we also found deposits from a younger tsunami dated to ca 5500 cal yr BP. The sediment facies are similar to those of the Storegga tsunami—rip-up clasts, sand layers, re-deposited material and marine diatoms. Runup was probably more than 10 m. Yet another sand layer in peat outcrops dates to ca 1500 cal yr BP. This sand layer thins and fines inland and was found at two sites 40 km apart and traced to ca 5–6 m above present high tide. The oldest tsunami was generated by the Storegga slide on the Norwegian continental slope. We do not know what triggered the two younger events.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277379105000739

http://www.mendeley.com/research/evidence-three-north-sea-tsunamis-shetland-islands-between-8000-1500-years-ago/

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005QSRv...24.1757B

So the three dates are: ca, 8100 , 5500 and 1500 cal yr BP.

This is important, for if any sort of legend or myth exists, it could well be about those 2 later tsunamis.

And they also think they can tell in what the season the first tsunami (ca 8100 cal yr BP) happened:

Propagation of the Storegga tsunami into ice-free lakes along the southern shores of the Barents Sea

Anders Romundset1,*, Stein Bondevik1,2Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011

Abstract

Deposits in coastal lakes in northernmost Norway reveal that the Storegga tsunami propagated well into the Barents Sea ca. 8100–8200 years ago. A tsunami deposit – found in cores from five coastal lakes located near the North Cape in Finnmark – rests on an erosional unconformity and consists of graded sand layers and re-deposited organic remains. Rip-up clasts of lake mud, peat and soil suggest strong erosion of the lake floor and neighbouring land. Inundation reached at least 500 m inland and minimum vertical run-up has been reconstructed to 3–4 m. In this part of the Arctic coastal lakes are usually covered by >1 m of solid lake ice in winter. The significant erosion and deposition of rip-up clasts indicate that the lakes were ice free and that the ground was probably not frozen. We suggest that the Storegga slide and ensuing tsunami happened sometime in the summer season, between April and October. Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jqs.1511/abstract?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+17+March+from+10-14+GMT+%2806-10+EDT%29+for+essential+maintenance

If it appears to be true that the tsunami occurred between april and october, then the next (my reply to JohnD) is interesting too:

Thanks for that great image of the mask, John. Never seen it before.

Yes, I have written about Star Carr in this thread, as you may know, and the people living there may certainy have had close connections with what once was Doggerland at it's greatest extent. I too think Star Carr may have been a settlement that was occupied during summer months when the weather was more agreeable, and that its inhabitants moved back to Doggerland when winter set in.

This would mean that many people were visiting more northen countries to hunt for seal, deer and whatnot when the tsunami flooded Doggerland. When the hunters finally returned to their homeland, they would have seen their country destroyed, their families drowned or simply gone (assuming the hunters had not taken their families along with them). You'd think that those who returned will have talked about it for many generations to come.

About that weather being more agreeable during summer months: the avarage temperature in Doggerland and in the countries directly to its west and east was a couple of degrees Celsius higher than it is now.

Edited by Abramelin

But were they only hunting, up north? If the submarine structures they found near Orkney are from Doggerland times, then most probably not:

A unique discovery of submerged man-made structures on the seabed off Orkney could help find solutions to rising sea levels, experts have said.

damsay1.jpg

They said the well preserved stone pieces near the island of Damsay are the only such examples around the UK.

It is thought some of the structures may date back thousands of years.

Geomorphologist Sue Dawson said that people have survived and adapted in the past and it is that adaption to climate change that needs to be learned from.

One of the team, archaeologist Caroline Wickham-Jones, of the University of Aberdeen, said of their freezing investigations under the December seas off Orkney: "We have certainly got a lot of stonework. There are some quite interesting things. You can see voids or entrances.

http://www.unexplain...9

More here:

http://www.orkneyjar...-stone-remains/

Edited by Abramelin

Btw, it wasn't professor Bryony Coles who first named this submerged area "Doggerland", it was a Dutch guy called "Overwijn" (a historian of some sorts) who did, during a speech in 1941:

613 Overwijn. J.F., - De strekking van het O.L.B. Onze voorvaderen: de West-Friezen van Doggerland

(Verslag van twee lezingen voor het genootschap 'Yggdrasil'). - Het Vaderland 1941, 25 Maart en 10

Apr

http://www.oeralindaboek.nl/pdf/KalmaOLBbibl.pdf

In his speech he says that it was C. Reid who coined the name Doggerland, but I have read Reid's book (Clement Reid, "Submerged Forests, 1913, chapter IV "The Dogger Bank") and he doesn't use that name:

In 1913 he published his book "Submerged Forests" in which he postulated a drowned land bridge between eastern England and the European mainland. His conceptual map of what is now called "Doggerland" turned out to be remarkably close to the currently known reality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Reid

But as you can see on this pic here, Overwijn called part of it "Doggerbanksland"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Abramelinn/OLB/OLB_Atland_GrootFriesland.jpg

And although the date on the image says 2193 v.Chr = 2193 BC (which is the date according to the Oera Linda Book, well, actually it is 2194 BC, but that's another story), in the second edition of his book he says the date is wrong, and should be 6250 BC, and calls it the "Cimbrian Flood":

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Abramelinn/Miscellaneous/Aldland_Doggerland_6250BC.jpg

Which is quite a feat if you consider radiocarbon dating was still in its infant state (second edition from 1953).

Those who are interested in that Oera Linda Book know there is a huge thread about it here on UM (part -1 is 780 pages, part -2- already runs in the 50's). They, then, will no doubt also know that very often this Doggerland is being equated with the "Aldland" from the book, and yes, Atlantis.

That fantasy is only propagated by those who never read the original MS itself (or a literal translation), and only rely on what the 'imaginative writers' fabricated from it, like Robert Scrutton with his "The Other Atlantis"

"http://www.amazon.com/The-Other-Atlantis-Robert-Scrutton/dp/085978021X.

The OLB itself says that "Aldland" was too far away from the European mainland. But as you can see for yourself, Europeans could walk to Doggerland. And even if they only think about Dogger Island (which renmained above sealevel for a 1000+ years after the flood) then still it is not "Aldland" for the book tells us these Europeans ("Frya's people) were excellent sailors. OK,unless the book meant to say the 'evil Finda people' on Aldland were landlubbers and could not sail, but that is very unlikely for any island nation.

And, there were no active volcanoes on Doggerland, and certainly no mountains (that rose and submerged in 2194 BC according to the story).

And... the OLB date of 2194 BC is many thousands of years off.... (and that from both the BC dates for the tsunamis I gave in a former post)

I just wanted to have it said.

WOW - this is all very fascinating, loving the posts and on the most part they all pretty informative.

Well done all :)

WOW - this is all very fascinating, loving the posts and on the most part they all pretty informative.

Well done all :)

Thanks Peter.

Alas, the later it gets, the less 'informative' my posts become. But... lots more creative !

Cheers.

A repeat:

He added that the latest research now suggested that the submerged landscape would have been populated by tens of thousands of people across a vast plain stretching from what is now Aberdeen to Denmark in the North and down to the English Channel, as far as the Channel Islands, to the South.

The findings suggest a picture of a land with hills and valleys, large swamps and lakes with major rivers dissecting a convoluted coastline. As the sea rose, the hills would have become an isolated archipelago of low islands.

Dr Bates revealed that researchers were investigating evidence of possible human burial sites, intriguing standing stones and a mass mammoth grave on what is now the sea bed of the North Sea.

http://www.scotsman....tland-1-2388819

And then this:

THE remains of a Neolithic stone circle that could rival the most impressive in Britain may have been found off the coast of Orkney.

Archaeologists surveying the seabed near the island chain’s famous Ring of Brodgar believe they could have discovered an earlier version just 500 metres offshore from the major tourist attraction.

Preliminary findings from an investigation seeking previously hidden historical sites in the area have raised hopes that prehistoric structures built up to 5,000 years ago have survived, even though they were submerged under the waves by rising sea levels. Marine surveys – using remote sensing and seismic profiling techniques – have revealed “anomalies” which could be man-made structures around 12 feet under water.

Seismic images taken in the Loch of Stenness appear to show a large circular feature in the water south of the Ring of Brodgar, the third-largest stone circle in the British Isles after Avebury and Stanton Drew in England and thought to date back to 3000-2000BC.

==

Dr Richard Bates, from the Department of Earth Sciences at St Andrews University, said the feature is about 90 metres in diameter, similar to the size of the main Ring of Brodgar. He said that if it is a man-made feature, it is likely to predate the influx of the sea into the Stenness Loch basin.

The investigation has also looked at the seabed around Hoy, Hoxa and the Bay of Firth. Images show how the Bay of Firth around Damsay has changed from mostly land in the Mesolithic period 8,000 years ago to the late Neolithic/Bronze Age around 2000 BC when the sea had filled in the lower-lying areas, leaving Damsay as a tidal island.

http://www.scotsman....rkney-1-1900390

Edited by Abramelin

'Discovery of a lifetime': Stone Age temple found in Orkney is 800 years older than Stonehenge - and may be more important The site contains 100 buildings, forming a 'temple precinct'.

-Stonehenge may not have been the centre of Neolithic culture after all

-It could take decades to fully explore and examine

Orkney_stoneagebuildings.jpg

A 5000-year-old temple in Orkney could be more important than Stonehenge, according to archaeologists.

The site, known as the Ness of Brodgar, was investigated by BBC2 documentary A History of Ancient Britain, with presenter Neil Oliver describing it as ‘the discovery of a lifetime’.

So far the remains of 14 Stone Age buildings have been excavated, but thermal geophysics technology has revealed that there are 100 altogether, forming a kind of temple precinct.

Until now Stonehenge was considered to have been the centre of Neolithic culture, but that title may now go to the Orkney site, which contains Britain’s earliest known wall paintings.

Oliver said: ‘The excavation of a vast network of buildings on Orkney is allowing us to recreate an entire Stone Age world.

‘It’s opening a window onto the mysteries of Neolithic religion.’

Experts believe that the site will give us insights into what Neolithic people believed about the world and the universe.

Nick Card, an archaeologist from the University of the Highlands and Islands, said: ‘It’s an archaeologist’s dream site. The excitement of the site never fades.

‘This site is a one-off.’

Professor Mark Edmonds from the University of York, meanwhile, describes the excavation as ‘a site of international importance’.

Some parts of the temple are 800 years older than Stonehenge, which lies 500 miles to the south in Wiltshire.

The site is very close to the Ring of Brodgar stone circle and the standing stones of Stenness and is surrounded by a wall believed to have been 10-feet high.[see next post: could they also have built dikes??]

Archaeologists found red zigzag lines on some of the buildings’ inner walls that they believe is Stone Age art – the oldest ever found.

So far only around 10 per cent of the site has been examined – and it could take decades to uncover and analyse everything there.

http://www.dailymail...Stonehenge.html

Edited by Abramelin

Now we should not forget that all these submerged structures appear to be lots younger than the date of 6150 BC as they are close to the present coast which may have been above see level for thousands of years later.

Or... with a bit of luck the theory of Jean Deruelle proves to be right after all: that (a) part(s) of Doggerland were/was being protected by dikes (up to 3000 BC) as he suggested.

In that case we are in for a few real surprizes.

Doggerlande2.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see you're still adding to this great thread - I haven't checked in for too long and it seems I have some catching up to do...

That last post - interesting...very interesting... Mind you, Kircher's one of those characters whose name crops up in connection to various bits of historical weirdity - he drew a famous map of "Atlantis" and may have been one of the people who had possession of the Voynich Manuscript at one point. Jesuit, don'cha know? ;)

I see you're still adding to this great thread - I haven't checked in for too long and it seems I have some catching up to do...

That last post - interesting...very interesting... Mind you, Kircher's one of those characters whose name crops up in connection to various bits of historical weirdity - he drew a famous map of "Atlantis" and may have been one of the people who had possession of the Voynich Manuscript at one point. Jesuit, don'cha know? ;)

Hi John,

Yes, I try to add whatever might be relevant, even if it looks farout, lol.

And I know about Kircher's most famous map of Atlantis, but hardly anyone knows about his other map you can see when you click on the link in my former post.

Btw, his map shows the Celtic Shelf or North Sea Shelf (or whatever I should call it) and I found that kind of amazing considering he drew that map in the 17th century.

Lol, you are not suggesting Kircher had access to some sort of 'secret knowledge'??

Lol, you are not suggesting Kircher had access to some sort of 'secret knowledge'??

I suggest nothing - I merely chuck unfounded innuendoes around. Seems good enough for most people who write *books* on these sorts of topics. ;D

But agreed re Kircher's map of the continental shelf - that is kind of hard to explain (maybe someone will offer a "rational" theory on how he did it?)

I don't know if this is strictly relevant or whether or not the thread already contains this info somewhere, but I just came across this relatively recent blog post and saw it mentioned Doggerland among other things. Mainly, though, it's another sunken land/drowned city myth, this one from Brittany. Maybe you will find something useful or suggestive in it:

http://grabouilla.wo...ty-of-brittany/

Quote: "We know from modern British geological surveys that in the V century, around 431 AD, a cataclysm engulfed many parts of Brittany and Cornwall (including the Cymric Cantre’r Gwaelod and the cornish Lyonesse), provoking a sudden collapse of the coastal lands,"

We do?! :unsure2:

Edited by JohnD

Well, considering the last remnant of Doggerland must have submerged at 5500 BC, I don't think anything happening around 431 AD will have much to do with it.

++++++++

EDIT:

Nice to see they used MY pics for that website..

The one with the red line is mine:

http://www.unexplain...90#entry3989822

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Abramelinn/Miscellaneous/Doggerland_5750BC_Carnac.jpg

And my drawing was based on a screenshot ( I added a red line to depict a sea route) of an interactive map:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179840&st=75#entry3119589

Edited by Abramelin

The 431AD claim did seem a bit, well, "out there"...

Seriously, you should tackle them about using your images unattributed (I'm afraid I didn't make the connection myself :blush: ) - they should at least give you a credit if they're going to use them...

The 431AD claim did seem a bit, well, "out there"...

Seriously, you should tackle them about using your images unattributed (I'm afraid I didn't make the connection myself :blush: ) - they should at least give you a credit if they're going to use them...

About giving credit, read this post of mine:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179840&st=690#entry3991348

• 1 month later...

Doggerland

The book 'Britain Begins' tells the story of the landscape and people who lived in these islands from the end of the last great ice-age (when they were still part of mainland Europe) right up to the end of the Saxon period. It's a great read.

I'm currently working my way through 'Britain Begins', Barry Cunliffe's latest book. Sir Barry Cunliffe is a well-regarded archaeologist working at Oxford University. In fact he's Emeritus Professor of European Archaeology at the University's Institute of Archaeology.

In the book he traces the origins of human occupation in what is now the British Isles, though at the time of the early settlements some 10 000 years ago, most the North Sea was an extension of the North European Plain and Britain was part of the European continent.

Doggerland_BritainBegins.png

Part of an illustration from the book (right) shows some of the Atlantic coastline of Europe around 30 000 years ago, along with the ice sheets in grey and today's coastlines in orange. (Doggerland in my title refers to the central part of what is now the North Sea. It was an area of rolling hills and river valleys.)

Although the ice retreated almost completely from Britain by 15 000 years ago, sea levels remained low for some time and migrating hunter-gatherer communities would have been able to live in the new landscapes right across areas that are now the English Channel and the North Sea.

What a fascinating insight into a time before history began. Although we don't know the details of life in those days, Cunliffe is able to draw a lively picture in a general way. He writes of the separation of Ireland...

http://jesus.scilla....doggerland.html

===

The ancient Celts believed they were descended from Father Dis (Dis Pater), a god of the dead who resided in the west where the sun set. Today, ideas of our prehistoric origins are more likely based on ocean core samples, radio-carbon dating, and archeological artifacts. But as Barry Cunliffe reminds us in Britain Begins, an archaeologist writing of the past must be constantly aware that the past is, in truth, unknowable. Like the myth-making Celts, we too create stories about our origins, based on what we know today.

Cunliffe here offers readers a vision of both worlds, looking at new myths and old, as he tells the fascinating story of the origins of the British and the Irish, from around 10,000 BC to the eve of the Norman Conquest. Using the most up-to-date archaeological evidence together with new work on DNA and other scientific techniques which help us to trace the origins and movements of these early settlers, Cunliffe offers a rich narrative account of the first islanders--who they were, where they came from, and how they interacted with one another. Underlying this narrative is the story of the sea, and Cunliffe paints a fascinating picture of early ships and sails and of the surprising sophistication of early navigation. The story told by the archaeological evidence is enhanced by historical texts, such as Julius Caesar's well-known if rather murky vision of Britain. Equally interesting, Cunliffe looks at the ideas of Britain's origins formed by our long-ago ancestors themselves, when they used what scraps there were, gleaned from Biblical and classical texts, to create a largely mythological origin for the British.

http://www.amazon.co...=britain begins

Edited by Abramelin

• 3 weeks later...

//

I wanted to delete this thumbnail/attachment, but I cannot.

post-18246-0-36609800-1351451309_thumb.j

Edited by Abramelin

Ok, deleting thumbnails/attachments appears to be impossible.

++++

The Doggerlanders were members of the Maglemosian culture, but I found a possible new candidate:

The Hamburg culture or Hamburgian (13,500-11,100 BC) was a Late Upper Paleolithic culture of reindeer hunters in northwestern Europe during the last part of the Weichsel Glaciation beginning during the Bölling Interstatial. Sites are found close to the ice caps of the time.

The Hamburg Culture has been identified at many places, for example, the settlement at Meiendorf and Ahrensburg north of Hamburg, Germany. It is characterized by shouldered points and zinken tools, which were used as chisels when working with horns. In later periods tanged Havelte-type points appear, sometimes described as most of all a northwestern phenomenon. Notwithstanding the spread over a large geographical area in which a homogeneous development is not to be expected, the definition of the Hamburgian as a technological complex of its own has not recently been questioned.

http://en.wikipedia....Hamburg_culture

Hamburg.jpg

doggerland_530.jpg

"Reindeer hunters".... not much like Plato's 'Atlantians', right?

Just for those who love to think Doggerland was Plato's Atlantis.

Edited by Abramelin

GDF SUEZ E&P UK Ltd

Cygnus Field Development

Environmental Statement

DECC Ref: D/4119/2011

10.4.2 Existing Baseline

The North Sea has not always been flooded. Over time, sea level has retreated backwards and

forwards leaving certain areas between the landmass now known as Britain and Europe exposed

and habitable by humans. One such area was Doggerland, which extended across the entire North

Sea up to the Norwegian trench. Although little is known about the geochronology and

palaeoenvironment of the Dogger Bank and SNS, reports suggest that the majority of this area

remained exposed and accessible throughout the Devensian Period (c48,000 – 12,000 BP) (DECC

2009c). As climate changed during the Holocene period (after c12,000 BP), the area is likely to

have represented a resource rich alluvial plain attractive to humans (DECC 2009c). As a result,

prehistoric landscapes and artefacts could be present all across the North Sea, although certain

areas are likely to be more interesting than others from an archaeological point of view.

To date, all recorded sites of retrieved prehistoric artefacts in the North Sea have been found in

areas of depression or areas of lower ground. For this reason, the extensive depression south of

the Dogger Bank and through the Outer Silver pit is of interest to archaeologists. Figure 10-10

shows that Doggerland covered the entire SNS and ancient river systems criss-crossed the region.

The project area is positioned in the middle of what would have been Doggerland, approximately

25km north of the Outer Silver Pit.

Figure 10-10: Speculative reconstruction of the river courses across the North Sea floor

post-18246-0-42489200-1351518762_thumb.j

Note: Reconstruction based at the time of the Late Glacial cold stadial when the area of dry land

was at a maximum. Source: After Coles and Rouillard cited in DTI (2002).

Two periods are of particular importance in terms of the potential for archaeological finds from the

Dogger Bank region:

The Mesolithic period (~12,000 – 10,000 years BP)

The Pleistocene period (1.8mya – 10,000 years BP)

During the Mesolithic period (also known as the Middle Stone Age), it is likely that humans

occupied the lower valleys in the Dogger Bank area, and may have used the higher ground for

hunting. Human artefacts, flints, spear-heads and mammal remains have all been dredged from

locations reported as the Dogger Bank (DTI 2002), believed to be from the upper surface of the

Bank. It is also possible that items could have originated and been preserved south of the Dogger

Bank where a vast lagoon existed from 8,000 – 7,000 years BP. Artefacts are also expected in the

area known as the Outer Silver Pit, which was a narrow channel connecting a shallow sea basin to

the open North Sea around 7,500 years BP.

The Dogger Bank region has also been important for Pleistocene fauna, with mammoth and

rhinoceros teeth trawled from the area. It is possible that further relicts could be recovered,

particularly the zone on the edge of Silver Pit and in the region which is now at a depth of

approximately 40m. Finding them would depend upon the thickness of the modern marine

sediments and due to the hostile conditions in terms of waves, wind and currents, searches for

prehistoric materials would only be undertaken in areas with considerable knowledge that

artefacts were present (DTI 2002).

http://www.gdfsuez.c...5/CygnusES1.pdf

I have not read the whole thread but find the subject interesting.

It has been mentioned the lack of myths concerning a tsunami in the cultures around the north sea..

It would have been interesting to learn what the sami people myths say of the matter. They came to the area 12.000 bc and would have experienced all the zunamies first hand and had contact with doggerland.

Also the bock saga, finland tells supposely tells the continous story from the end of the iceage.

http://www.nomind.me/08/bocksaga.html

The oldest viking saga "voluspå" tells of at least 2 catastrophic floods. It tells of the land rising from the sea for the second time. A seremony after the flood where they remember the old gods on the exactly spot the old gods and ancesters had their capital city. They tell of gold tablets (boardgame or libary) still lies buried in the soil.

http://en.wikipedia..../wiki/Völuspá

The viking old old saga also tell of a second advanced tribe besides their own. They called them jotner and their chief was vavtrudne. They was as smart as they was and more powerfull in many ways.They were vikings biggest enemy and there was several of wars. They was all killed in the last battle. The bloodbath in the jotunheim (jotnes home) Odin traveled to Vavtrudne one time and they had a long conversation where odin tested his knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia....rg/wiki/Jötunn

http://en.wikipedia....i/Vafþrúðnir

Edited by whitegandalf

Hi Whitegandalf,

You said you did not yet read all of this thread, but if you did you'd know I did try to 'stretch' a couple of Nordic myths beyond recognition, but not very convincing.

The only myths/legends from around the North Sea that could hint at Dogger Island (the remnant of Doggerland, the later Dogger Bank) are about an Island of the Dead (Britain, Norway, Netherlands, Germany).

And I fabricated my own 'myth' based on the 'cup and circle' petroglyphs and labyrinths and the way stone- and woodhenges were being built in Britain and Europe, all that in connection with people witnessing a spiraling comet impacting into the North Sea and triggering the Storegga Slide of 6150 BC and the subsequent tsunami. But the mile thick submarine sediment layer west of Norway must have been very unstable already, and did not need an impacting comet to go on the move; a mild earthquake caused by post-glacial readjustment would have been enough.

And the Bok Saga.... I think it's as fake as fake can be.

+++

EDIT:

I should add that many thousands of years after the 6150 BC tsunami and long after Doggerland or Dogger Island were gone, there were a couple of other tsunamis caused by Storegga slides, so any myth about a flood could have come from much more recent times.

Edited by Abramelin