Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doggerland

Sceptical believer

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

It doesn't look like it's the result of a digital glitch, it's too complex:

20210415_172124.jpg

Yes a possible site. I would suggest contacting this person or other expert in this area

https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/people/claire-mellett

She will probably know who would be knowledgeable about that area of the Doggerland/interested in that issue/idea.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

It doesn't look like it's the result of a digital glitch, it's too complex:

20210415_172124.jpg

Would agree. There does not appear to be the type of pixelation associated with digital glitches. Have you explored possible petrol-related, etc. origins? The double berm on the "west" is curious and well preserved given the environment.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Swede said:

Would agree. There does not appear to be the type of pixelation associated with digital glitches. Have you explored possible petrol-related, etc. origins? The double berm on the "west" is curious and well preserved given the environment.

However, cannot rule out technology glitches until we can compare various other views of the same data/area

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Swede said:

You mean the 2 verticals on the left. I noticed that too.

But I was thinking about finding detailed bathymetric charts of the Entenschnabel river system. The formation borders it at the north side.

If I don't have any luck with that, I will send an email to Claire Mellet, as Hans suggested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

But I was thinking about finding detailed bathymetric charts of the Entenschnabel river system. The formation borders it at the north side.

If I don't have any luck with that, I will send an email to Claire Mellet, as Hans suggested.

I would suggest her and as many other geoarchaeologists you can find. Should be dozens of them in UK, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway etc.

I’ve looked and haven’t been able to find any worthwhile bathymetry for the Entenschnabel river system. The best I’ve seen suggests IMO  a possible elevation at the start of said system, ie. possible start of a watershed. 

cormac

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hanslune said:

However, cannot rule out technology glitches until we can compare various other views of the same data/area

True. A higher resolution DEM would be of value. If one had the original file, one could load it into ArcGIS and play with the azimuth (lighting angle). This can often reveal additional detail.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Affirmative. Interestingly enough, the berms of late 19th century/early 20th century logging camps not uncommonly had trenches around the perimeters of their structural berms. The trenches were the borrow source for the berm soils.

• Like 3

I haven't found any other source online for the chart, but by downloading the paper that contained the posted grey bathymetric chart, I discovered that thàt chart was more detailed.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315631761_Phased_occupation_and_retreat_of_the_last_British-Irish_Ice_Sheet_in_the_southern_North_Sea_geomorphic_and_seismostratigraphic_evidence_of_a_dynamic_ice_lobe

And here again the formation:

20210417_150533.jpg

Edit:

The coordinates of the 'dot' in the middle of the formation are:

55°15' North Latitude

5°04' East Longitude.

That's as accurate as I could manage using my smartphone and an atlas.

Edited by Abramelin

About contacting one of the researchers:

20210417_154553.jpg

Well you are researching so why not join?

18 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Well you are researching so why not join?

It's not that easy. I can only give them my private email address, and in that case they will have to do some extra checks to verify what institution I work for, and in what position, and so on.

So, are you saying it is impossible to contact or communicate in anyway whatsoever with any Geoarchaeologist?

Try snail mail

I AM a member of ResearchGate and have many followers. None of this figures in current RG papers, so I dont know where this "data" comes from

It's a damn conspiracy, I tell ya!

Just look at this map:

geosciences-10-00422-g001.png

B)

7 minutes ago, keithisco said:

I AM a member of ResearchGate and have many followers. None of this figures in current RG papers, so I dont know where this "data" comes from

I posted pic AND paper, both found on ResearchGate. Check the links, please.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, Hanslune said:

Yes a possible site. I would suggest contacting this person or other expert in this area

https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/people/claire-mellett

She will probably know who would be knowledgeable about that area of the Doggerland/interested in that issue/idea.

Claire Mellet is a good choice: she is actually one of the 8 researchers contributing to the paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315631761_Phased_occupation_and_retreat_of_the_last_British-Irish_Ice_Sheet_in_the_southern_North_Sea_geomorphic_and_seismostratigraphic_evidence_of_a_dynamic_ice_lobe

20210417_201654.jpg

And your link could be an alternative route to get in contact with her.

Well, maybe Keithisco comes up with info from his contacts on the ResearchGate site.

Edited by Abramelin

It's a damn conspiracy, I tell ya!

Just look at this map:

geosciences-10-00422-g001.png

B)

I was kidding of course, and too late to edit, but those who developed the survey area neatly skipped the area of the formation.

Either it was something so bloody obvious that no one would bother to ask why, or ..

44 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I was kidding of course, and too late to edit, but those who developed the survey area neatly skipped the area of the formation.

Either it was something so bloody obvious that no one would bother to ask why, or ..

Have you tried looking for a bathymetric map of Denmark’s economic fishing zone? 

cormac

8 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Have you tried looking for a bathymetric map of Denmark’s economic fishing zone? 

cormac

I didn't. Did you?

31 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I didn't. Did you?

No and I’m busy with yard work right now and fixing to cook after I’m done. Thought I’d throw an idea your way. 

cormac

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

I did look at Denmark's economic fishing zone, and...

https://data.geus.dk/geusmap/?mapname=oil_and_gas&lang=en#baslay=&optlay=&extent=106265.625,5690210.9375,900015.625,6894726.5625&layers=samba_wellbores,dkterritorialgraense,oil_and_gas_basemap&filter_0=txt_search.part%3D

....it's not about fishing.

20210418_092626.jpg

20210418_092833.jpg

I think the 'mystery' has been solved.

< sigh >

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

One positive thing - after finding an ancient group of oil rigs of the past century - is that the White Bank, located in the Danish Central Graben, is indeed part of an ancient layer of chalk.

Next: could the White Bank have been much longer above sea level than the rest of Doggerland?

On 4/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, keithisco said:

@keithisco

Can you provide me of any info concerning the White Bank in the North Sea?

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

@keithisco

Can you provide me of any info concerning the White Bank in the North Sea?

Thanks in advance.

I will sincerely see what I can find. Been out all day celebrating my future Son-in-Law's birthday. Socially distanced of course, but nice pub lunch:clap:

• Haha 1