Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope 'has no UK arrest immunity'

chemical-licker

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100411/tuk-pope-has-no-uk-arrest-immunity-6323e80.html

Plans to have the Pope arrested when he visits the UK will succeed because he is not a head of state, a solicitor has said.

Atheist authors Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens proposed the action against the Pontiff for his handling of child abuse scandals in the Catholic church.

The writers' solicitor Mark Stephens said applications will be made to courts in the UK and the International Criminal Court for a warrant for Pope Benedict XVI's arrest.

:clap: :clap: :gun: :gun: :w00t:

Go get the paedophile. anyone disagree?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExpandMyMind

• J.B.

• Doc Socks Junior

• The Silver Thong

clap.gif

http://uk.news.yahoo...ty-6323e80.html

Plans to have the Pope arrested when he visits the UK will succeed because he is not a head of state, a solicitor has said.

Atheist authors Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens proposed the action against the Pontiff for his handling of child abuse scandals in the Catholic church.

The writers' solicitor Mark Stephens said applications will be made to courts in the UK and the International Criminal Court for a warrant for Pope Benedict XVI's arrest.

clap.gifclap.gifgunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gifw00t.gif

Nope, not me! clap.gif

clap.gif

Nope, not me! clap.gif

So if the Pope is not a head of state, then who is in charge of Vatican City? I understand that it is a sovereign state.

So if the Pope is not a head of state, then who is in charge of Vatican City? I understand that it is a sovereign state.

He is the head of state but I don't think it's recognised as such in the UK. I'm not sure.

He still has to have actually broken a law...

he's an accessory top child molestation - he knew about it and tried to cover it up. how is this not breaking a law?

Edited by expandmymind

The pope is a religious figure head nothing more.

England's had a love/hate relationship with the Catholic church ever since they swapped to Protestantism. As far as I know, they aren't in a love phase right now, so why would they acknowledge any sovereignty of his? Especially when he can be tried for something. . .

His personal life even has a few sticking points in it.

New Labour hasn't the balls, and with the amount of Poles living here they won't upset them on the grounds they're not British, the Conservatives don't have the inclination i.e. couldn't be bothered.

Politics plays party pooper once again.

He's not a paedophile. So, I disagree.

deleted.

Edited by expandmymind

The Pope being arrested would be one of the greatest moments of the millenium.

probably the greatest in civilised history.

probably the greatest in civilised history.

Someone is unreasonably biased right now...

He's not a paedophile. So, I disagree.

He does protect them though, guilty imo.

Catholic church would have done better to sacrifice the clerics they knew were guilty from the outset. Much better. If said clerics knew they'd get thrown to the dogs for such behavior, they either would have stopped, or would have hid it to the point where even the church could honestly claim shock and indignation. They wouldn't be in their current mess that way.

Someone is unreasonably biased right now...

biased? explain how you came to this conclusion please.

i'm catholic by the way, and i used to be an altar boy.

Catholic church would have done better to sacrifice the clerics they knew were guilty from the outset. Much better. If said clerics knew they'd get thrown to the dogs for such behavior, they either would have stopped, or would have hid it to the point where even the church could honestly claim shock and indignation. They wouldn't be in their current mess that way.

the vatican have admitted (and we can take this number as a minimum) that they have 22,500 paedophiles within their ranks.

biased? explain how you came to this conclusion please.

i'm catholic by the way, and i used to be an altar boy.

In that case, it makes no sense that you'd consider the arrest of the Pope to be the "greatest moment in civilized history."

Or am I completely off base here?

In that case, it makes no sense that you'd consider the arrest of the Pope to be the "greatest moment in civilized history."

how so?

how so?

Why is it necessary for me to answer that? I'd think it would be obvious.

You said you're a Catholic, right?

Why is it necessary for me to answer that? I'd think it would be obvious.

You said you're a Catholic, right?

Last I checked, Catholicism isn't a representative democracy like the States are. . . Pope is voted in by Cardinals. Does every Catholic have to like the Pope? He is human after all, and the Cardinals are hardly representative of the people.

It would set a standard that would help prevent this from happening so often. No man is above the law, any law.